zippy the wonder slug #2

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by pig rig, Jan 16, 2010.

1. pig rig

pig rig Enthusiast

ok so I went out for a few beers last night and this question now comes up has anyone or knows someone that has drilled and tapped a pool ball

if so what kind of problems did they incounter
    my understanding is their hollow with a cly center

and yes a pool ball got drunk and fallowd me home

2. pig rig

pig rig Enthusiast

so I got some time to myself today and my goal was to re mount my seats so they set a little lower and would go back further, and to rebuild the front end and get it down some. that ot to be easy?

well after a few minuts with the seats and some dismantling I got them to set about an inch lower and they go back all the way and with a little file'n I used all the factory holes! way cool

so on to the front end
    I've done a lot of front end work over the years so this should only take a couple hours :ROFL:

well the first tie rod end that I went to remove. the ball came out of the socket (son of a....) and naturley I dont have a pickle fork small enough to get it out so after some creative cussing and a lot of enginereeing I got it out :clapping: then on to the ball joints! yea! same gig the lower comes apart no biggy I've been here before...... WRONG!!! more cussing and more thinking:verdict_in::verdict_in:
    so after dicking with it I head for town to get a smaller fork
    good thing because I ended up needding it on the passanger side a few more times once I got every thing tore down I'm starting to put the new center link in thats when I relize the steering dampner is shot also (screw it I'll get one tomarrow) so I get the drivers side all back together got a little rework on the shocks I wasnt expecting but now big deal bust out the grinder easy fix
    so onto the passanger side I'm burnin and turning:runaway: go to install the bottom balljoint WRONG ONE :cry::cry:
    after fighting with it for almost 10 hrs I'm going to bed
    I dont think Ive ever had this many problems with one front end!
    I have pictures tomorrow once its on the ground and cleaned up :waytogo:

3. planemos

planemos Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 2wd Xtra-Cab,98 2wd Xtra-Cab, 1988 Toyota Supra turbo
    Ya its a a cool idea. I've seen those before. I think you just drill and tap through the walls of the ball and then make a sleeve to screw into the taps you made. It's all about making the sleeve a perfect fit. I don't know what to use for a sleeve but some aftermarket shift knobs come with plastic ones.

4. duckyaz

duckyaz Veteran

nice lookin rig dude. keep the pictures comin. i love the toyotas. pretty much all of them. the only ones i don't like are the 4x4s of your body style.

5. pig rig

pig rig Enthusiast

got some pictures:meemee:

Attached Files:

6. pig rig

pig rig Enthusiast

as you can see the passanger side bed had a nice smooth out job by something other then the wind passing over it
    [​IMG]

I let my buddy thats a body guy spend about 45min.on it and fitting the tailgate and it looks lots better so I'm getting close to start slinging some mud at it I also put on my 4wd fenders hood cowl and a new chrome grill but I'm going to have to do some work on the core support cause it was installed crooked:brickknock: and it causing some visual problems:waytogo:
    I also put in a new carpet kit and built a speaker box for behind the seat

[​IMG]

you can go here
    http://www.toyotaminis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5312
    and read more and see pictures of my interior

7. pig rig

pig rig Enthusiast

I've got my front end almost put together I need to make some outer brackets yet. I ran out of time after fighting the repop center brackets (lots of hole rework) one of them I have to change and get a different one but as you can see its almost ready to go for paint

Attached Files:

8. tyme_fo_play

tyme_fo_play Addict

Truck:
    MY PRIDE MY JOY MY TOY!
    what did you do with the chrome fender trims on the 2wd fenders? wanna sell it? nice ride btw reminds me of how my truck used to look like besides the bed.

9. AllenB

AllenB Member

Truck:
    2003 Srunner taco and 90 v8 yoda
    Love the front end looks clean

10. pig rig

pig rig Enthusiast

the fender trim was all checked up and coming apart if thats factory molding you can by that stuff in rolls from a body supply shop mine was a self adhsive plastic trim

11. pig rig

pig rig Enthusiast

so to days the big day Im going to tear into the front end again and put all new urathane bushing in I'm even going to do the rear first I need to figure out where to get some more of that white sticky grease (I think its a food gread grease)

12. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    u are talking about white lithium grease or crisco shortning

oh btw:
    where did u get your chrome valance and do u still have the 1 peice bumper and do u want to sell it and/or that blue stock lower valance? My bumper is tweeked and so is the valance.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  13. pig rig

pig rig Enthusiast

when I first put the wheeler fenders on it I didnt have a bumper because I didnt relize that the 4wd fenders were wider then the 2wd so I tryed to spread it but it was screwed to start with

I got the bumper and the lower valance threw an out fit out of S.seattle I think its call fitrite if I find their card I'll shoot you a web address
    it was cheep for bumper and ends, brackets, filler panel, lower valance was right at $200 the chrome valance was like $10 more then the painted on

14. pig rig

pig rig Enthusiast

I havent been doing any updates most because Ive been busy going to truck shows partying and going to court:verdict_in:

so anyways Ive been thinking I wanted some 18" wheels
    well a buddy came through he had a set in the back corner of his shop with new tires. I couldnt resest

[​IMG]

Im kicking around the idea of sanding them down and polishing them

15. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    I'm liking those 18's to be honest, what are they?

16. pig rig

pig rig Enthusiast

I have no idea who made them I gave the back side a quick once over but I never seen a name

17. pig rig

pig rig Enthusiast

havent updated this in a while but over the last couple months I've made a little progress new engine, clutch and pressure plate, new exahust, urethane bushings front and rear cleaned up the engine bay and ditched a lot of crap ie, smog pump what was left of the cruz control some extra wires.
    but the biggest mod thats noticable is the new wheels and tires.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

now I guess its time for some bodywork and paint hopfully by the end of next month

18. flacostaco

flacostaco Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87 pickup
    sweet lil truck man looks clean

19. rustybear87

rustybear87 Member

Truck:
    87 2wd pu/88 xCab/80 Celica/02 corolla gkh/ 92 sc400/
    screams flame paint hood and fendaaaas:evil:

20. yotarip

yotarip Veteran