Z'ing the frame 101?

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by ShortyzKustomz, Feb 5, 2011.

1. ShortyzKustomz

ShortyzKustomz Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Single Cab
    After saying I am gonna do it for a while and getting more and more stuff done on my truck, I am out of money and its time for some well needed mods that dont cost alot. This next weekend I'll have some garage time (finally) So I want to Z the front of my truck. I need to move my rear upper bags mounts to get the back to lay on my 18s first (layed hard on 17s not now lol) And then I am gonna attempt to z it. Ive seen a few write ups in the past now Im just looking for experience from people on here that have done it, First off time table... I have 2 nights (6pm till midnight and 5 pm till whenever, and all day Sunday to get this thing laying flat frame, Think I should be allright with some help. Second thing, that methods have yall used, Im seen people bracing it up with 1x1 and using jacks to lower the frame and all sorts of other ways. Can this be done fairly easy with motor in truck? And there shouldnt be any hood clearence issues with just a z right? I planned on body dropping and doing the z then, but plans changed and Im not going to have the garage time I need.

2. ShortyzKustomz

Truck:
    94 Single Cab
    This is the best one so far, but this is a motor out and doesnt give a time
    Trucks Forum - Toyota Trucks | Zing frame - Page 1

Seth also has this one on his page too, I am most worried about the time table, Tools are all there, tranny x-member is already modded and plated. Ive done almost everything in the minitruck world except a Z and Im on of those people that want as much info as possible before I start cutting

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  3. laynrocker84

laynrocker84 Member

Truck:
    87 reg cab 2wd
    I z'd mine today! Toke me roughly about 8 hours to do it. The motor was still in the truck and I used the same method as on Seth's forum. The only thing I done different, I put the truck on jacks and ran tubing to the floor. Once my cuts were made, I raised the engine crossmember up instead of dropping the rear frame section. Also, I plated the top, bottom, and outside of the frame rails only. With the motor in the truck, It was just impossible to access the inner frame to make a good weld. I hope this helps

4. ShortyzKustomz

Truck:
    94 Single Cab
    Well my exhaust can be out of the way, Im starting on that project here soon so I might be able to can a little clearance, I also have access to a lift but I dont know if that will help. Did you have to do anything to the steering shaft? Or trans tunnel? How much did you end up z'ing? Cause with mine now with the trans crossmember done nothing touches the ground up front, I was looking at spindles but a few people told me a little more z would lay it out