Yotarip's Turbo Truck - " Project Rebirth "

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by yotarip, May 9, 2008.

1. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

^Yeah, the first set do look busy and I just saw the $1,000 price tag. Damn that!

The Hella projector lights are more reasonable at $330 for the pair.

2. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Found out that my local pick n pull junkyard has permanently slashed the prices of all engines by more than half. Walk through the yard yesterday and found this for $175.

[​IMG]

Came from a GS400 that was rolled. Has a shattered valvecover, cracked throttle body, a broken COP and one broken VVTi solenoid. I did grab the key, ignition switch and key reader. According to my wiring diagram, I have all I need to get it running. It's not going in the mini. I'll drop this in my cressida later.

3. beyondspexj

beyondspexj Addict

Truck:
    85 Pickup
    Strait come up!!!!

4. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    I think a projector by itself would look menacing with the truck's already "dark" appeal. :)

As for the motor, you're making me cry. I wish I had such access. Where's this junkyard?

5. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

^ Yeah, The junkyard is Chesterfield auto parts in Richmond va. A friend told me that they dropped the prices so I went there with the intentions of grabbing a spare 1st gen 1uz that are a dime a dozen at this junkyard. I jizzed a little when I ran across this. These NEVER show up in the yards I go to.

6. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Everything you own is gonna be v8 swapped....what's up with the mr2 don't get any ideas I don't think one will fit in there ha

7. 85pickamatruck

85pickamatruck Veteran

Truck:
    85' Base
    Two questions...

1. What did you do with the Tundra headers? Interested in selling if you still have them?

2. What did you do with the pickup ecu?

Im in the middle of doing the same swap. My plan was to tear the ecu out of the truck and run only the SC400 ecu. After thinking about it I dont know what I would need the factory pickup ecu for. The new SC ecu should have everything to run the truck correct? My only concern is blinkers, signals, others lights exc...

Also are you keeping the stock pickup suspension? My plan was to swap over the suspension, modify the frame to fit. In theory the 2UZ headers should fit then and I wouldnt have to worry about the sump location either.

Keep up the good work though. Giving me inspiration on my swap.

8. 85pickamatruck

85pickamatruck Veteran

Truck:
    85' Base
    Well to think about it the blinkers and lighting is just ran off the fuse box. It doesnt even go through the ecu. So I am able to completely remove the pickup ecu

9. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

The Tundra headers will be used on my 1uz cressida. I removed the 22re ecu. The truck was originally carbed but a previous owner converted it ( major hack job). I am making all the efi circuits from scratch.
    You only need the 1uz harness and ecu to get the motor to run. On LS400 engines, there is one ecu plug that is part of the body harness on the lexus. You must cut the wires to take the plug. This plug will provid power to the ecu. The SC400 harness does not need any cutting.
    No need to remove any original wiring from your truck if it is carbed. Only the engine harness should be removed if it was EFI.

Also, I decided to start fabbing up brackets to mount my 4x4 calipers. While I had everything torn down, I decided to test fit some 300zx calipers I have laying around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

100% bolt on!! No brackets/adapters needed.

Now time to sort out the rotor after having the hub flange turned down to fit inside the floating rotor. I will most likely use a 1994 Mazda MPV front rotor.

10. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    That's crazy they bolt on dang.. Good lookin out

11. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

It's crazy cool. I'm also running 300zx calipers on my cressida and they bolt right on. They bolt on MX73 cressidas, MA60 supras and now this RN50. I'm gonna see if they will bolt on my 93 MR2.

Cool thing about it, there may not be alot of fabbing needed to get a 240SX big brake kit (350z) to bolt on the truck.

12. beyondspexj

beyondspexj Addict

Truck:
    85 Pickup
    keep us updated!!!

13. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Will do!! I'm def gonna go with this setup since I have now seen that the caliper will clear my 16x9 starion wheels.

[​IMG]

Definatley a go because I want to run the starions.

14. Tank

Tank Member

Truck:
    94 scsb
    the cressida is badazzz

15. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Thanks man!

16. tyme_fo_play

tyme_fo_play Addict

Truck:
    MY PRIDE MY JOY MY TOY!
    nice build man, digging the hood scoop. i had those corner lights on my truck i took them off cause they were yellowing badly. i was looking for a UV protectant spray but couldnt get my hands on some.

17. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully I'll find some protectant for the corners before I complete the build.

18. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Its coming along nicely... I'm loving all the "touches"!

I will own a 1uz truck one day :)

For now the 22r will keep the wheels turnin and the money flowin.

Keep us posted on the brake upgrade...it could be a revolutionary swap for these trucks!

19. veedubfreak86

veedubfreak86 Enthusiast

Truck:
    89 toyota ex-cab 2wd
    Yotarip, just wondering i came across your cardomain when looking for 4age rwd pics, and noticed that you had built a 4afe rwd, do you have any more info on that build ? or maybe a thread you can hyper link for me please and thank you

20. NashMan

NashMan Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 2wd
    bolts on but now gettig the right off set for the disc