Vacuum Lines

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by toy_boy, Dec 26, 2008.

1. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    My project for this weekend is to replace all my vacuum lines. Current hoses seem really hard and weathered.

Though this may seem like a trivial question, does anyone know, from experience, about how many feet of the stuff I should get to do all the hoses?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  2. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    id start with 15ft and there is 3 different sizes. drawing a total blank right now on sizes. but one is less then the diameter of a pencil, the other bigger and the last one almost the size of a roll of dimes. best way to get it is to drive the vehicle to the parts store, pull one vac line walk in and cut one of the "strechted" ends off and match the inner diameter. then replace it and go for the next one.

replacing rubber fuel lines aint a bad idea either.

while your doing it:

only remove 1 line at a time
    spray carb clean through every port and switch
    you can temporarly remove all the lines from a swtch or end to "flush it" but put em back as 20 different vac lines are hard to memorize.
    hose the **** out of the carb linkage with carb clean
    maybe even pull the fuel line off the carb and fill the carb with carb clean, pull the drain plugs and flush the carb.

i wrote it up here somewhere for somebody on how to "tune up" a carb but i forget where and when, if you can wait im gonna do a real write up on it this weekend with pictures an everything.

im taking a 20r that has been sitting for 5+ yrs and refreshing it to make a daily driver without a rebuild kit. :D

3. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    Thanks, ShoNuff - again. :)

As usual, all the answers I was looking for, and then some.