v8 2wd engine mount conversion

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by thundering02, Jun 17, 2010.

1. thundering02

thundering02 Addict

Nowr is the one I'm going to go with ... if this person could be bothered to call me back now.... still waiting on the engine...

2. Erik Beeman

Erik Beeman Member

Truck:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    I am currently putting a 302 in my 92 2wd as we speak. I am building the engine now, and am running a t-5 from a mustang. Holley 650 4bl double pumper, Edelbrock Air Gap intake, probe forged pistons, stock rods and crank, stock heads with f303 cam, Edelbrock 100 shot, shooting to be done in the next month or so, going for 400whp on my 2561lb drift truck. I will be using the NWOR ford 302 to 22r mounts, they are about $200.

3. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    good info erik how about some pictures man ?

4. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    Hmmm... Id be careful guessing that 400 hp there. What stock heads, E7's?

Not even close.

5. Erik Beeman

Erik Beeman Member

Truck:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Pictures I can take, but are pretty useless right now seeing that I'm still in the stage of building the motor. Haven't had much time to make it to my shop, and am also working on getting a rotating assembly.

Stock heads, good for roughly 270. From the knowledge I have. 400whp is a goal on aluminum heads and my finished project; and with 400whp, being able to flick it at 80mph is no problem. Power for my application, 250+ will work, running 245's or the like. Goal of 400+, not needed, but wanted.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  6. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    I think they make chevy mounts as a conversion kit... Not sure if they are they same as ford tho... Seen them on Summit, Jegs, and JC whitney...

7. shin

shin Member

Truck:
    91 base
    on azones website the part # is the same between 2wd and 4wd

8. Phssthpok

Phssthpok Member

Truck:
    77 longbed, 81 4x4, 84 X-tra cab
    Why is it no one ever thinks of using a MOPAR small block into these projects?:shrug:

318's are readily available, damn near bullet proof, easier to maintain, have LOTS of go-fast goodies available, and with a 75+ A-833 fourspeed you get a .7x overdrive manny-tranny in a fairly small package.

9. CajunTaco

CajunTaco Enthusiast

Truck:
    92 Reg Cab
    Trans-Dapt Performance Products 4567 - Trans-Dapt Performance Engine Swap Motor Mounts - Overview - SummitRacing.com

These are the mounts I used in my 350 swap. Be forwarned tho, they don't leave much room for exhaust. No conversion mount leaves room for exhaust on a 2wd truck. I ended up cutting the original engine mount tower off and moving it forward inline with the 350 mount. Then I welded the transdapt mount to it. This left me a nice hole to run a set of mid exit block huggers.

Also for anyone wondering a T56 from an LT1 car will mount up to any small block Chevy (non-LS series) and Big-Blocks. It has an external mounted hydraulic slave, shifter is really far back, but not too bad in a yota. If it is too far back for you a shifter relocation kit can be had which moves it forward 6-8". After I blow my W56 behind my 350, I'm going T56. But so far the W has been hanging in there.

-Ryan

10. thundering02

thundering02 Addict

Awsome price find cajun Thanks. cheaper than anywere else.

Edit I'm going with the th350 3 speed rather than trying to adapt the w5x trans.

Also the reason is I got mine for an engine in my shed and the trans was less than 100 appears to be very low milage rebuild.
    when I can afford sometime this time next year I'll start hunting for a t56 again.

11. Erik Beeman

Erik Beeman Member

Truck:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    ford 302 has no clearance problems it bolts right it minus the oil filter hitting the wheel well, simple fix just spend $51 bux at Summit and got a relocation kit, the dizzy is in the front so you dont have to beat bash or cut the fire wall like a 350, t5 tranny fits perfect down the tunnel, have to cut one hole a few inches back from the stock shifter, but for drifting this gives perfect shifter location and feel. 302 are cheap and easy to come across parts, and like mentioned before making 400 plus hp in one is so easy to do and with a light truck vroom there you go you got a race vehicle that'll last a long time

12. Barret S

Barret S Veteran

Truck:
    86 Standard cab 2wd
    Cajun, how does the quality look on those mounts once you got them in? What about the rubber mount material? Is it solid rubber or is it molded with hydraulic fluid inside?

13. CajunTaco

CajunTaco Enthusiast

Truck:
    92 Reg Cab
    The mounts are excellent. Urethane Bushings, quality construction I like them and would use them again.

I originally had my 305 dropped in to a stock firewall truck with the frame z'd 1.5". The bellhousing hit the trans tunnel, but thats all. If it wasn't Z'd it would not have hit. My recomendations get a short water pump, I got one from Napa for a 1968 Chevelle with a 327. Run an old points distributor with a points eliminator kit and an external coil. The HEI distributors are too big (although I fit one with just trimming the firewall pinchweld and hood support). I'm running a 3" thick Griffin radiator pushed against the condenser which is pushed forward about 1". It's tight, but fits nicelly.

14. Wizz

Wizz Member

15. ShortyzKustomz

ShortyzKustomz Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Single Cab
    A World Class T-5 trans (88 and up)...(Pre 88 is even less) is only rated at 290 ft lbs of torque, Ive seen them shred under mild 305s... Best option is a 93-97 T-56 6 speed from a Camaro / Firebird, 93-97 are LT1s which will bolt to any older iron small block chevy without an issue.. 98+ LS1 will not work....a few bolt holes wont lineup and shaft sizes are different, Just trying to clear this up for the trans questions earlier, Ive had 12 sec gms so this was my life before minitruckin

16. thundering02

thundering02 Addict

From summit
    Radiator 4 core 449.95
    Headers (slickfit above) 319.95
    Engine mounts (transadapt above) 92.95
    Power steering adaptor 28.99
    Driveshaft custom 300ish?

Somebody buy my truck so I don't do this.

17. thundering02

thundering02 Addict

Purchased the engine mounts and steering today... will see where things fit sooner that later...

18. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    thanks for posting all this info guys. im currently weighing my motor options for my next project as well....

19. Twisted Minis

Twisted Minis Addict

Truck:
    1980 Toyota
    The mounts on the frame should be the same from 2WD to 4WD, just like someone else said the cross member and steering clearance would be the only issue.

If anyone is interested in fitment, I can play around with some stuff (maybe even make some mounts) when I pull my engine out for the last time. I have a later Toyota clip in my truck, and I have a 350, as well as a 302 with both front and dual sump pans at the shop.

20. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    one of the new guys just so happens to be running a 5.0 mustang motor and the t-5 trans.......

he is running it in the 84-88 4x4 body style truck. after looking at it thoroughly, i believe i will likely end up doing this same swap on the 89 :thinking: