turbo oil cooler

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by goingnowherefast, May 10, 2011.

1. goingnowherefast

goingnowherefast Enthusiast

Truck:
    1965 Stout
    Has anyone installed a turbo oil cooler from a 22ret on to a 22r under a pair of side drafts? just thinking instead of blocking the water port that went to the water plate under the intake, maybe use the extra cooler I have. has anyone tried this?

2. goingnowherefast

Truck:
    1965 Stout
  3. Nook

Nook Addict

I run an actual remote oil cooler and remote dual filter setups on both my rigs and have no complaints,
    the setup you have is just a water circulating type cooler which probably won't buy you a lot for actual cooling, but will still be better than none at all, beings you have it go for it.

4. suncomb1

suncomb1 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1983 Toyota SR54x4 Mojave Edition-Black Package Shortbed Sport Truck
    I run an Earls oil cooler on my 1983 Toyota 4x4 with twin Weber sidedrafts. I used AN 12 braided SS lines, a System 1 oil filter, and a Morroso remote filter mount. The system has been installed for about 20 years and no problems or leaks.

Attached Files:

Erwin Merida likes this.
  5. goingnowherefast

Truck:
    1965 Stout
    well thats what I figured, i have it, just triing to use up as many parts that I already own.

Ya I've got some thing close on my 03 taco and my 87 (supercharged 3.4) 4runner, but with the stout I'm building the mix between 65 stout and custom/rat, so making it look just right matters.Figure I can get a bit cooler and you wont realy see it. Let the thermostat do more of the temp control.

6. suncomb1

suncomb1 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1983 Toyota SR54x4 Mojave Edition-Black Package Shortbed Sport Truck
    They make remote oil coolers with their own electric fans for people that want to hide them. Many Street Rodders use them. I do not know what they cost but you can check Summit, Jegs, etc.

7. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    you can find an oil cooler and filter relocation system...

8. goingnowherefast

Truck:
    1965 Stout
    Thanks, but maybe I'm not explaining my plan. I have an external cooler but don't want the cooler and lines to clutter the bay. Old and new mixed,I can picture it in my head.lol :looney:

9. Mickster

Mickster Newbie

Wow. Didn't realize this was from back in 2011. Well, if still open, im going through the same situation w my 86 4runner 22rte. My machinest months ago misplaced my oil cooler that attaches behind the oil filter during the rebuild short block n I forgot about it until months later. Now, im finding it to be a rare and/or expensive part. Most of my rebuild supplier is LCE Engineering. Im finding that the original factory coolers were less efficient than installing a sandwhich plate adapter and seperate oil cooler. I might HAVE to go this route if I dont find or purchase the original cooler, but like you, I need to relocate the cooler lines or block them off, currently going back to diagrams and pics to see what coolant lines go where. I know on my 22rte in an old cut off pic it shows coolant 1/2" hose running from top of timing chain cover tube to cooler but cant see where the other cooler hose goes. Im getting ready to go look at an original 22re without turbo to see the routes to see if I can return a hose or block it off for if when purchase the after market oil cooler.

10. goingnowherefast

Truck:
    1965 Stout
    Wow can't believe it was 2011 either. How did ya make out. I never used that system but about to try it again.