Thoughts on gun control?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Litneon, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    The numbers they use in the article I linked use percentages. That would account for population differences.

2. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    The XD's are great. I've seen some reliability issues, but they've likely fixed the known problems. I'm partial to Glock, and personally carry a model 23. While I find other manufacturers models more desirable to look at, you can't beat the reliability and simplicity of a Glock.

3. whysmee

whysmee Enthusiast

Truck:
    62 toyopet and 76 toyota stout
    I am glad of our gun laws and with such as a current on going event, the Logan racial tension is not world news because of our strict gun laws and that we do not have to live in fear of someone with a gun because basically no one has one.
    But I guess watching the Logan tension on tv is a primitive one still because after thousand odd years the weapons they fought with now were still only sticks and not guns and it could have only got better if the Maori got involved as well and did the haka

4. smartmonkey

smartmonkey Veteran

Truck:
    v320, 620, 720KC, RN46, LN46, YN65 & B2200
    Only a handful of guys, on this forum would even know about it, I think our aussie number are around 14. Of those, only about 5 are regulars. All that has happened was the Vietnamese kicked the Samoans/Maori out of Inala and they shift across to Logan. Clearly, they werent paying attention in the 70's.

The Logan locals are getting pissed off and thus fights, a community fight, of about 10-20 either side. Media just caught wind of it and they delcared a riot. Riot makes national news :verdict_in: Only 5 police cars attended so, in my view, let them settle it out amongst themselves and police step in when property first gets damaged.

For those across the pond, this was the full scale riot :lol:

Fresh arrests in Logan race dispute

5. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
  6. whysmee

whysmee Enthusiast

Truck:
    62 toyopet and 76 toyota stout
    My oldest daughters mother grew up seventh day Adventist in Germany and as I had no idea what she was talking about and that I was immoral because I did not understand her point of view. So I have read most versions of the bible and the Qu'ran, her mother grew up playing on mass graves and cement that was once the floor of gas chambers and had no idea what once had happened there. I have cousins born in Israel and one was a sniper that found living in Australia boring, yet is now married to a Palestinian and just became a dad.
    Sorry that link you posted about the Australian PM sounds like a hoax, we live out numbered 20:1 from our northwest by Muslims and I am not about to touch a dog that bites, my girlfriend is a child of a vietnam veteran and I am sitting in her mother's house (her dad has passed away)watching the US gun debate the doors are not locked, I am not afraid of muslims, people with guns nor being robbed. I live in a rural area and the only things I could shoot are the neighbours cats and the odd fox that keeps taking my chickens, but far kit I am Australian and I could not give a faark and I have no reason to explain why I felt I needed a gun if asked at the pearly gates

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  7. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    No beer cans to shoot? Come visit me in the US sometime, we'll go to the range and have a great time. :waytogo:

8. raylcc

raylcc Addict

Truck:
    89 Regular Cab. The weirdo with the stock suspension.
    I'm partial to shot and wheel guns, myself. Shot guns for home protection because they can be devastating at short range (like inside a house) and the energy disperses relatively quickly depending on the round used. (no shooting through your wall, through your neighbors wall and into your neighbors... Usually.)
    As far as autos go, I have several: A .40 S&W, a 9MM, a .22 target (my favorite for spending the day plinking or going to the range with a novice shooter.) and a few others. Not a single one of them doesn't have issues with firing if your nit-picky. They either have trouble when they get dirty, don't like certain kinds of ammo, don't like certain clips or a combo of all of it.
    On the other hand, I have NEVER had a revolver fail to fire unless it was due to dud ammo. And if there was a dud, it was a simple case of pulling the trigger again and going on to the next round. (for D/A's) no trying to clear the bad round, ect.
    I have a friend who was Co State Patrol and went on to be a local cop. He said (and I'm only going by what he told me, take it as you will.) that when he was in the academy, there was a firearms instructor that didn't like that they switched to autos. He said he had seen numerous cases of autos failing, both on the range and in the field. He told the class that he had only heard one case of a revolver failing to fire from mechanical malfunction. What happened was that the revolver had been shot with a shotgun and a pellet had lodged between the cylinder and frame, not allowing it to advance to the next round. He claimed that once the pellet was cleared that the gun cycled normally.
    Was it a BS story? possibly. But I still like the reliability of the revolvers.
    Just my 2 cents.

9. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Totally agree. Revolvers are very reliable. If someone was just learning to shoot and wanted a carry piece, I would hands down recommend a small frame S&W or Taurus .38 or .357.

To add to the "not BS" stories, my Glock 23 has jammed twice on me in the 15 years I've owned it. Both were bad reloads on my part (and on the same day). I have around 14,000 rounds through it, I've cleaned it less than 10 or twelve times, and I carry it on a regular basis. Very reliable.

The two jams were on a field training day where we go through 2000 rounds in two days. I knew that when I loaded them that the powder container had run low in the middle of a reloading run. I pulled as many as I thought had been short, but ended up with two squibs on the range. Both cleared the barrel, but didn't fully eject.

I won't carry anything but factory loaded ammo as long as it is available.