Thoughts on gun control?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Litneon, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Nashman, what is a "fanboy" and and why do we need to keep guns away from them?

I repeat, limiting access to "banana mags and drum mags" will NOT keep morally inept men from killing people. Mags are easily changed.

Fast Mag Change AR-15 - YouTube

Any law that limits my access to a firearm and the accessories that go with it is a violation to the 2nd amendment and is NOT foolish to vote against.

Raylcc, there has to be a point where we will not compromise. The notion that two people who disagree are obligated to compromise and both move from their stances to common ground is a progressive idea born by radicals. What they do then is take a stance twice as far away from your belief so that when you compromise with them, they get what they want.
    Let's say you want to be a free man, "they" want you to be in handcuffs.
    To get you to compromise and allow yourself to be handcuffed, they will fight to have you hanged.
    You think... "being handcuffed is better than being hanged, lets compromise."

There are things we just don't compromise on, and our God given rights are some of those things.

I'm not sure if you understand. Criminals break laws. Laws only restrict the rights of honest law abiding citizens.

I agree that it might be responsible to keep the weapons locked up, especially when you leave the premises, but who are you to tell me that I have to spend more money that I may not have to buy a safe? Or if I have enough to own a safe, that I have to spend even more on a biometric safe?

And even with the biometric safe that I do own, its faster to pick it up off of the nightstand.

Get out of my house. You have absolutely NO business there.

2. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
  3. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Also Nashman, if you'll notice on the third link "Rifles and Other Guns" made up LESS THAN 5% of the total gun related violent crime.

Is limiting access to my rifles really going to make that big of a change in the total number of offenses?

I think not.

4. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
    Litneon you speak for me as well, The only thing I would like to add is that I could care less if they ever made another assault rifle or hi capacity magazine as I see no use for them, But I also see no use in 200 MPH crotch rockets, and Corvettes. Are we going to outlaw those as well ?? Where do you stop ? Some people enjoy collecting and shooting exotic type guns. If you ban them from the law abiding the criminals will still have them. How has banning illegal drugs worked ? Are they gone ?

Peace,
    22R88

5. raylcc

raylcc Addict

Truck:
    89 Regular Cab. The weirdo with the stock suspension.
    Well, I've stated my thoughts on the subject and I stand by them. Lit, I may not agree with everything you say, but I agree with the overall concept of what you are saying and respect your opinion as well as your rights and liberties.
    off my soapbox... again.

6. Turbo Blow Through

Turbo Blow Through Addict

Truck:
    87 hilux
    Its easier to push us over with no guns Jessie James of westcoast put it best I'm not going g to quote him word for word but he makes a good point about criminals will still get guns whether they are illegal or not so for us to give them up will make us vulnerable to the criminals bty if a bushmaster is an assault weapon then so is a forty five

7. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Ultimately, the thing I want people to start thinking about is that when our founders started this Constitutional Republic they knew that there is danger in giving the Federal Government power.
    Their intention (they write about it numerous times) was for the States to have the power and that the Fed was only there to keep the States together.

If California wants ridiculous rules and regulations, fine. I don't have to move there, and if I did live there, I could move. If Massachusetts wants Universal Healthcare, fine. I don't.

Let the States decide these issues.

8. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    Everything Lit says sums it up for me.
    Thank God for a good mod with the ability to express his thoughts so well. :)

9. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    You will be hurt/robbed/raped or dead long before the police will show up to protect you. If you don't defend yourself, nobody will.

And as stated above, the second amendment is to protect the people against the government. "Not to be abridged" means absolutely no exceptions.

Tyrannical goverments ALWAYS start with disarming its own people.

Using shootings/violent crimes to creep to that goal.

Remember that the world has forever been, and will be, a violent place. Banning guns will not end murder. Banning certain types of guns won't make people murder "fewer" people if they intend to.

Diesel fuel and nitrate fertilizer is a easily made hi explosive that can level a city block. Ban diesel and a farm supply, ahh not even possible.

Regulation is not the answer. "Force comes from the end of a gun". Keep in mind that saying goes both ways.

Ehhh my head hurts. Back to Toyota love people!

10. smartmonkey

smartmonkey Veteran

Truck:
    v320, 620, 720KC, RN46, LN46, YN65 & B2200
    What a different kettle of fish it is comparing to my country. I am simply awe struck. I wont bag them or voice my opinion but that this into account.

I have an amourers lisence and shoot professionally on occasions, and hold class A, B, D, H respectivley.

The Categories of Weapons

I only have a .22 glock, .32 Winchester Special, A98 Tournament Powerhead (Paint Ball Gun) and a .22LR. The initial paper work took 18 months before it was approved, individually for each class, permit to aquire took another 8 months, again for each firearm. It has taked quite a few years to get to the amount I am. I also have a Collectors license for an Heirloom L1A1 SLR. That alone took 3 years to approve.

They have just overhauled the entire system in the past month or so but it may be slightly different now.

11. NashMan

NashMan Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 2wd
    What I mean by fan boys are people that have the idea in the head that gun are cool and are some what like a fad.

or people that think they need gun but really don't and get one cause it is just easy to get one.

and real gun owner will jump the hoops and go though all the steps

a fan boy will get lazy and well not go to all the effort (this person will not store his gun well not know how to use it properly and lastly would sell it for the next fad to come swing his way)

high camp mags are use less there should be a limted what ever that might be you don't need 60 rounds ect

auto's are fun but again just for entertainment or when you brechy a door and have mp5 and aming proplery is the last thing on your mind and reflects and just points it in general direction

12. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    I see.

Your reality IS different than mine.

Gun do happen to be cool. I don't own any that I don't really enjoy shooting.

High capacity mags are a lot of fun too, not useless like you suggest.

And your "Fanboy" sounds like most minitruck owners. Very few of us keep them long enough to get much progress done on our "dream ride", but we have the right to buy guns legally with a background check.

The point is still "MORALS". No amount of anti-gun legislation can provide that.

13. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    (The point is still "MORALS". No amount of anti-gun legislation can provide that. ) Right on point.

14. NashMan

NashMan Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 2wd

I think ya missed what I mean this just does not just apply to youths this mens old and olderly as well

ya got to stop thinking of your self and think about people that are just plain stuiped in the head and have hardly any good motor skills to begine with

15. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    So an elderly person or a person with a lower IQ than myself doesn't have the right to protect themself?

That's just nonsensical.

Where do you draw the line? I agree that people with certain mental illnesses shouldn't own a firearm, but a previous generation of politician has made it almost impossible to identify and label these people.

That said, I'm afraid that with the "Brilliance" that we have in charge now in DC, even I wouldn't measure up. And I'm not talking about anyone specific.

I am not thinking of myself. I am thinking of ALL Americans, especially my two boys who will inherit the mess we leave them as a country.

I'm trying to bring some sense into the conversation so that they don't have to clean up our mess.

16. Beefed Taco

Beefed Taco Addict

How about people control? It's too bad guns have become the main focus these days. Anybody can simply get into their vehicle and go drive through the fence of any school while there are hundreds of kids playing and mow them all down.

Would America flare up and consider banning all cars? This whole gun control debate is ridiculous as far as I'm concerned. It's been said a million times, and now a million and one...guns don't kill people, people kill people.

All these people with mental issues doing stupid sh!t these days are a big reminder of why it's VERY important that American's have the right to keep and bear arms.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  17. whysmee

whysmee Enthusiast

Truck:
    62 toyopet and 76 toyota stout
    As a 34 yo Australian I have not seen a firearm in 20 years, as a kid my dad had shotguns and rifles under his bed and ammunition was near on everywhere. The only time I have seen any form of firearms is on tv or the internet and recently when stripping down my 76 stout removed the rifle rack and many old bullets and I had no idea what rifles they were once for. I am grateful for the strict Australian gun laws and am glad if my children never see a real firearm or have the chance to play with ammunition and only see on the internet or tv the pointless violence associated with the lack of gun control in other parts of this world

18. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    And how about the pointless violence that isn't gun related?

It sounds to me that if your children ever get to see a firearm it will be in the hands of a tyrannical government or crook.

Is the gun bad? I've never seen a firearm do anything wrong without someone holding it. And for that matter I've never seen anyone personally become possessed by the firearm they were holding (and I've had lots of chances). So I think that the "civilized" world that doesn't have the gun control that Australia has just realized that the gun isn't the issue.

I compete in a monthly IPSC match at my local outdoor range. There are routinely 100 plus people there all with openly carried side arms. Never once has there been a shooting there. The guns don't go off randomly, so as to "accidentally" shoot an innocent bystander, and everyone just has one hell of a time. In a good way, that is...

I found this article talking about US, Great Britain, and Australia violent crime statistics interesting.

Britain, Australia top U.S.
    in violent crime
    Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2001/03/8340/#dzAqitzyPX2kBvmo.99

For having over 300 million firearms in this country, you'd think we could out crime Britain or Australia...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  19. smartmonkey

smartmonkey Veteran

Truck:
    v320, 620, 720KC, RN46, LN46, YN65 & B2200
    You will aslo have to take into account of population figures. We only have 22 Million compared to 331 Million. That's 15 times our population. Have a look at out firgures, Guns in Australia: Facts, Figures and Firearm Law.

I wouldn't mind that rack if you still have it, and I can destory that ammunition for you.

20. tacobo670

tacobo670 Addict

Truck:
    94 Base
    i wanna get a gun. prob in the next few weeks with my tax return. my First gun! was thinking of an SA xd45. thoughts?

i've fired several different kinds of guns, handguns, rifles, shotguns. but never owned.