So many questions... LN or RN designation

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by mckidyl, Sep 19, 2022.

1. mckidyl

mckidyl Member

Truck:
    88 Pickup 2wd longbed AT
    Mine is an 88 2wd 2dr 4cyl AT longbed, Japanese built. I will own it until I die! But when ordering parts I see these designations "LN80" "RN90" and many more. What IS that? How can I tell which one mine is? Please clue me in.

2. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    Toyota codes are all the same through every model and are quite easy to read. LN80 RN90 the first letter is the engine ether an L engine which is a diesel or an R which is a petrol. The N means it is a Hilux the 80 or 90 is a little more complicated but means it's a 5th generation with runs the numbers 80 90 100 110. The number general has something to do with options and body style like a 4wd or extra cab or SR5.
    It works with all Toyotas for example KE70 is a K engine in a corolla the 70 is 4th generation. AE86 is an A-engine corolla 5th generation.
    The engine codes are also similar usually the higher the number the more displacement. For example, the L engine comes in L 2L 3L 5L. the capacity is 2.2 2.4 2.8. and 3.0 Toyota also adds a T for turbo and an E for electronic fuel injection, to if you see a 2LTE Its a 2.4 litre L engine with a turbo and electronic pump
    The same deal with the petrol engines 22RTE is a 2.4-litre engine with turbo and electronic injection.
    Then they also have codes for emissions C for California and U for Japan.
    The Head will also have a code, No letter is a single cam, F is a twin cam (budget)with scissor gears and G is the high-performance head (Proper twin cam) usually made by Yamaha.
    another is also Z which means it's supercharged.
    Some of the later engines and using a 2 letter code just to confuse everyone so you will see the later Hilux have a TR or GR engine so you might see something like this 1GR-FE
    Hope this helps a little.

_Quickfox, mckidyl and Erwin Merida like this.
  3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Aslong as you search for your specific generation you're good. Engine parts are one thing but most of the body/interior/chassis parts are interchangeable with the exception of ex cab and 4wd models.

84-88 was the same body style with minor changes thru the years

4. mckidyl

mckidyl Member

Truck:
    88 Pickup 2wd longbed AT
    LiquidHandWash: wow! great information. Thanks very much.

I'm learning more every day. Mine has the California spec engine, but the load bed seems like it's the Japanese type (made from many panels rather than all one pressing). But I could be wrong about that too. I really enjoy the extra capacity of the long bed. I have other questions but I'll start a new thread.

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Yea the 84-88 came with a japanese style bed (with the lip at the top) or the smooth bedsides.

mckidyl likes this.
  6. mckidyl

mckidyl Member

Truck:
    88 Pickup 2wd longbed AT
    This might be the only aspect of the truck I'm not crazy about: no tie-down hooks like on my 1974 Hilux. Yes, there are 4 loops inside the bed but it's not always easy to get to them once you've got a load. I bought some stainless-steel marine cleats that look good, but haven't installed them yet.

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    The hooks definitely help out big time

8. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Love the hooks on my 75, but also miss that there aren't any hooks in the inside of the bed, I use the lower front hooks on my 93 all the time for shorter items in the bed. On my 93 I have rope extensions on all the corner hooks so I can reach something to anchor to easier (has the plastic bedliner insert, so the hooks are all recessed)

9. mckidyl

mckidyl Member

Truck:
    88 Pickup 2wd longbed AT
    Just in case it might go over someone ELSE'S head, as it did mine: that code is contained in the VIN. So mine's a RN55 -- 1988 2wd with Japanese long bed and California-spec engine. I appreciate everyone's help on this forum!