Side vents for a '77 pick up

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by Sherry, Sep 9, 2023.

1. Sherry

Sherry Newbie

Does anyone know what goes in here - In circled and red -- or what I can use the substitute?? To clarify I do HAVE these vent parts -- there was some kind of filter in mine - which after almost 50 years - looked like a dead sponge. This is what needs to be replaced. I just wanted suggestions on what to replace it with. Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2023
  2. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Try eBay. That’s a factory only item. You could retrofit a vent cover to hide the hole. See attached link for an example.

Douzime Boat Cabin Vents Louver Grill Cover Ventilation Louver 4-1/2" X 5" 316 Stainless Steel Stamped Air Venting Panel Cover 2 Pack https://a.co/d/5qmgP9E

3. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    I don’t think the filter is that important. I have none on mine.

I doubt you will find a factory replacement. You could buy a heavy duty nylon scrub pad and cut to fit. That would accomplish the same thing.

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Mine didnt have a filter when i pulled em. Probably a terrible idea since there will be probably be moisture breaking down the material over time.

that vent is mainly there to to equalize cab pressure when closing the doors and to extract some air

5. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    You can likely use any type of filter in that - the suggested scrub pad is a great idea, I've used similar material on other things as filters.

PO skinned over the holes for clean b-pillars on my truck, but I don't notice any issues with cab pressure. The cab doesn't really seal up anyway with how the front dash vents going straight to the cowl/firewall - if anything that location and the intake for the center would be candidates for filter screens - I get leaves coming out the front vents all the time haha

83pickup and jetas like this.
  6. 83pickup

83pickup Enthusiast

Truck:
    1983 22R Long Bed 5-Speed
    Same thing in my 1989 Toyota Van... clear sign of no cabin filter too for any vehicle if you're unsure! Haven't gotten any leaves or foreign objects blown out the vents in the truck however. Also i didn't know the trucks had a filter over this cab vent (assuming it's that little vent behind the doors on the outside), worth it to inspect?? just out of curiosity

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Pull the wiper motor and the block off plate on the passenger side of the firewall, can access all the leaves and shit in the cowl from there

83pickup likes this.