Shocks!

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by Frinzo, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Ok guys/gals,

This is about lowered shocks and the like.

1) What kind?(Manufacture, type)
    2) Ur opinion on the shocks?(1-5 rating, brief opinion)

I started a new thread to help people researching 4 shocks.

Ok, onto what i need answered. I need opinions on 2 type of shocks. I now its better to get the lowering shocks when u lower ur truck, but since i need to be able to haul a bike in the rear. I can either get a coil type shock or Air adjustable shocks. What would u get and why. I was looking to get the coil shocks just for the fact its less of a pain.Question, is the 70's truck shocks shorter than the 84-88 shocks? Last question ( i promise) any1 know of a site that has the specifics of shocks? like lengths widths and so on....

2. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    dunno how coilovers would work on a lowered truck but those would be on the top of my list to get...

and if it helps ive hauled 2 dirtbikes a 100 and 125, full gear, tools and another heavy guy in the cab with me on no torsion bars, 4 inch blocks, no bumpstops.. ride wasnt the prettiest but it did not bottom out too much.. i was on stock tires though

3. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    i ran my truck with the 3 inch drop leafs and air shocks. whent to auto zone and got a set of gabriel air-jackers or whatever they call them. they say to use at least 25psi. in em but i never did and aired em all out when i didnt have anything back there and rides nice. when aired up, expect onyl about 3/4 to 1 inch of lift @ 60 psi.

i hauled my quad, full gear, tools, 2 5 gallon fuel jugs, and whatever else for a weekend at the desert. roughly ~900 lbs and did perfect.

4. Beefed Taco

Beefed Taco Addict

I always recommend KYB Monomax shocks for the street because they are by far the stiffest performance shock out there. They make Bilsteins seem like dead Monroes. Don't be fooled by Pro-Comp Explorer's "Toxic Drop" shocks, they are stock length, and half the time you don't even need shorter shocks on these trucks depending how you lowered it.

5. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    one thing i found out when i whent to auto zone, i had a buddy of mine pull out 3 shocks. 1 from a 69 camaro, 1 from a 86 toyota pickup, and one from a 01 tacoma.

the tacoma shock had stiffer valving than the toyota pickup, was the same length, but smaller in diameter, and the same stem size up top.

the camaro shock was way stiffer, same diameter as the 86 pickup shock body, but about 1 inch to 1-1/4 inch shorter overall travel, and the same mounting stem up top.

they all had roughly the same mounting fork at the bottom with minor difference.

6. planemos

planemos Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 2wd Xtra-Cab,98 2wd Xtra-Cab, 1988 Toyota Supra turbo
    shocking

Well I just installed 69 camaro KYB gas-a-justs on my 92. It is also lowered with DJM lowers and a BJ flip. I have to say it rides real nice. Almost as nice as a Chevy!:rolleyes:

7. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    whats the model number of those shocks

i have those kyb gas-adjust shocks on the rear of my celica, i reccomend them to everybody

what are u guys running for front shocks ?

8. the_general626

the_general626 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    90 Toyota Pickup 2wd standard cab
    wut do u mean by depending on how u lowered it?

9. StupidSheet

StupidSheet Addict

Truck:
    91 V6 SR5 Xtracab, 87 22RE 4x4, 73 HiLux 18R SR5
    Bumping this post because I'd also like some info on shocks. what are guys running? Are you happy with what you have? Does it matter the shock length if I only have a 2" spindle drop up front? I did a search and couldn't find the info I was looking for.

Sorry Frizno, not trying to thread jack, just trying to get info for both of us.

10. nvrenufedge

nvrenufedge Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bagged '93 std cab
    I have 2" drop spindles & 3" blocks with Toxic drop shocks front & rear. I still have most of my factory ride in front, not so much in back. Still running factory leafs. Not sure with others, but whats nice with the Toxic shocks is you can anywhere between 0-2" drop in front & 0-3" drop in back.

11. trap

trap Addict

Truck:
    92 pickup
    belltech shocks suck... I just bought their street performer shocks a few months ago and I hate them. They are expensive, bouncy, a bitch to install and they rub my belltech sway bar.

f u c k belltech :mad:

12. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    i am running the KYB gas adjust shocks up front and the sensatrac coil over shocks in rear. they ride stiff. but thats what i like. the rear only bottums out on hard dips or bumps.

13. StupidSheet

StupidSheet Addict

Truck:
    Can you actually adjust the ride on these shocks? Have you tried adjusting them if you can? I'm thinking either these or the KYB Monomax. I've read some good stuff about the Toxic shocks too. Hmmm.

14. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    I dont see how u adjust them..and i honestly think u cant..but u could always just get air shocks for the front and rear..

15. jIM!

jIM! Member

Truck:
    95' standardCab 2wd
    I just got my truck and i feel the handling isnt that great
    and after reading this thread i wrote down the "gas a just" on my "things to get for my car list"
    but then when i went to go look under my car the previous owner had them already install'd.....
    Could it be worn out or soemthing?
    The ride doesnt feel smooth(I only drive speed limit)-No joke.
    and bumps are horrible my truck shakes left and right..
    any ideas how i can fix the problem
    Thanks.
    :shrug:

16. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    How long have the shocks been on the truck? if they have a wet look on them, it means they are blown and need replacing. u can also check them by pushing down on one side and seeing if it rebounds quickly, if it does they sould be ok, if not they will barely raise back up and means they are blown. but u guys need to remember that these are trucks, they will only get so comfortable, im happy with mine :) hope this helps

17. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    Please explain or piost pics of how it rubs your sway bars?

Did you trim down your bump stops? <might be the problem to your bounciness...

18. StupidSheet

StupidSheet Addict

Truck:
    Well just to let you know I decided on the Gas Ajusts based on price and my parts guy said that the Monomax were overkill for my truck. I'm putting them on tomorrow and can't wait to try them. I might even go into the shop tonight if I find some time. ;)

19. garagedoorman

garagedoorman Addict

Truck:
    86 RN63 /87 RN50 /85 SR5 /80 4x4 /86 RN55
    So when we speak of the Camaro shocks, are we speaking of front and rear or just front. I hear a lot of good things of the KYB. I'd like to try Koni adjustable.

20. Seventy6Celica

Seventy6Celica Member

Truck:
    75 Hilux
    I have Tokico Blues for a camaro on the front of my truck. I really like them. I got into tokicos when I put them on my celica. They might be a bit too stiff for some, but I like the tightness. And the price is right too.