Rear end not centered after drop blocks install

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by JL_808, Oct 28, 2023.

1. JL_808

JL_808 Newbie

Ok not sure what’s going on here. But my rear passenger side wheel is sticking out approximately 1/2” to 3/4” compared you he drivers side.

i can’t positively say it was this way before the installation of 4” drop blocks but it’s definitely noticeable now.

my question is could the rear end have shifted slightly to the right when we bolted everything up? Would a fix be to loosen the u bolts and try to shift the axel over to the drivers side.

one thing we removed when installling the blocks are the housing that binds the springs together because the aligning hole in the blocks were too small to fit into the spacer blocks.

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    What housing are you talking about?

but Yes make sure everything is sitting correctly on the pins

3. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    I’m also confused. Take some photos of what you’re describing. Picture will help.

4. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Pesky offset blocks.

5. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Are the U-bolts canted? If they aren't at a 90 degree angle to the axle housing loosen them up and try again.

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Sounds like something is definitely not installed right. Undo all that you did. Make sure the blocks are centered and sitting the leaf spring centering bolt and make sure the acle is sitting correct on the block. All the pins gotta line up. If you for some reason took centering pins out, put them back. Theyre there for a reason

7. Ponyryd

Ponyryd Enthusiast

I think he’s saying he removed the center bolts that hold the springs together, also used for locating the axle in the vehicle. In which case yes, you most likely have the axle not centered , loosening the u-bolts and aligning it should take care of this issue, but the centering bolt should be re-installed and the blocks drilled out to accept it, the head is a 21mm, I used a 13/16” drill bit for mine and it worked fine.

Attached Files:

Erwin Merida and jetas like this.