Questions about lowering.

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by dawnsy, Oct 19, 2023.

1. dawnsy

dawnsy Newbie

So right now im running the belltech kit with the drop spindles, shocks, and blocks, and I did a balljoint flip so I think its 3 inch all around drop. I'm not satisfied though and I want to go lower. I was thinking about cranking torsion in front and pulling a leaf in the rear but I just have some questions. I'm a broke college kid so if theres anything else I can do to go lower that wont break the bank any suggestions would be nice.
    if i pull a leaf will I have issues with driveshaft clearance?
    If i pull leaf will rear suspension become less stiff?
    How much does pulling a leaf lower the rear (just making sure, theres 2 leafs, right? for some reason i used to think there was 3.)
    Is it like actually dangerous to mono leaf? I know you cant haul with mono leaf but can I just daily drive it? how prone is it to snapping?
    thanks for all ur help guys.

2. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    You will get to a point where you will run out of travel and it will be on the bump stops, which is not great for the ride, handling, and safety, you would need to spend big money to get any lower. Combine that with crappy roads and low-profile tyres you will end up breaking something, usually wheels, then shocks and shock mounts etc. Save up your money for airbags or some engineered suspension. Not what you wanted to hear I know, sometimes unfinished projects come up so that might be a place to look for some cheap bags or a frame that has a C-notch and a 4 link.

3. dawnsy

dawnsy Newbie

even if I saw my bump stops ill still have the same issue? I know like I shouldnt run with them off but what about just keeping a little bit of it on

4. dawnsy

dawnsy Newbie

can you also explain to me what a C notch and a 4 link is?

5. dawnsy

dawnsy Newbie

Also, I just checked right now and I have around a 3.5 inch clearance on my bump stops currently, and i could probably cut off another half inch if i needed

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Ran my truck with a pulled leaf out back. So just the main and overload. Did fine. Whatever you do just dont mono leaf.

You'll eventually have clearance issues so keep that in mind. Up front you will only get so far with loosening/re-indexing the torsion bars. Out back i wouldnt do more than a 4" block+ pull a leaf.

keep in mind it will eventually ride like garbage

7. dawnsy

dawnsy Newbie

So im really confused about the leaf thing, So there is 3 leafs? theres the two that are connected then is there also the one on the bottom that is flat and short?

8. dawnsy

dawnsy Newbie

and also, by clearance issues eventually do you mean that the leafs will bend over time? If u can like send me something that explains all the components of the leaf spring system i would really appreciate

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Usually these trucks have 3 leafs, the main long one, one just slightly shorter and the overload (short flat) remove the middle leaf. Its all bolted together with one bolt and the middles are clamped to the main.

by clearance issues i mean stuff coming in contact with other stuff. Axle to frame, diff to crossmember, driveshaft to crossmember, tires to inner fender, control arms to whatever is in the way.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2023
  10. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Here's food for thought.. instead of going lower, look lower! What I mean is add some aesthetics. Front lower valance, side skirts, rear diffuser.. some 4runner bumper go lower than our stock unit or go aftermarket.. I've seen ppl make decent skirts out of rain gutters or even use integra side skirts.. and a diffuser can be hacked out of flat panels and triangle wedges! All the cheap stuff is DIY but it makes your build personal nd keeps it fun. Take a trip to a pick your part!

dawnsy likes this.
  11. Ponyryd

Ponyryd Enthusiast

Try doing the free stuff first, so yes you can loosen the torsion bars and remove a rear leaf, yes it will ride softer with a leaf removed, but I don’t think it would be dangerous. People disagree with me about that but aside from carrying a load there’s really no reason it would cause any danger, and plenty of people have done it. Driveshaft should be fine but check your clearance, worst case scenario you just re-install the leaf and tighten the torsion bars. Removing a leaf usually gives about 1” drop.
    A c-notch means you cut the frame above the axle and install a notch plate in it so the axle can travel farther upwards without contacting the frame. it’s a lot of work, and prone to cracking so make sure you don’t just bolt it in but weld as well.
    A 4 link is even more work, also requires welding and means you take out your leaf springs in favour of link arms (4) to locate your axle, you then use coils or airbags. Newer Ram trucks use a 4-link and coils, while most others use leaf’s still due to cost.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2023
    dawnsy likes this.