Project Lo - Lux

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by SD YOTA, Dec 30, 2008.

1. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    thanks man. these motors are fairly easy to work on. just gotta get familiar on how they go together and you can put one back together almost as quickly as you can tear one down.

2. tyme_fo_play

tyme_fo_play Addict

Truck:
    MY PRIDE MY JOY MY TOY!
    nice.............how big is the carb?

3. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    its a Holley 2bbl 500cfm :waytogo:

4. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    im slowly following in your foot steps, i dropped my 81 block for a bore and crank polish today. and am making my engnbldr order in a day or two. so i think without you having the side drafts...id kick your ass. hahaha:D

5. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    not quite so......... :evil:

[​IMG]

6. standardbyker88

Truck:
    ct20 or ct26? should be a good setup. but wont your high compression be a total buzzkill for a turbo?

and dont tell anyone...but i am considering a hidden nitrous setup underneath the manifold...with a fire extinguisher as the tank. hahaha.

7. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    :evil:

now that's sneaky :lol:

yea....... thinking about this setup. doing research on this apparently the holley 500 2bbl was desighned for boost in mind...... came on some of the old corvair turbo cars and other vehicles i forget what but yea........ the photo of the turbo is actually 1 of the turbo's off a 2jzgte... the smaller turbine to be exact...... (not sure the size)

anyhow.. the guy was claiming somewhere in the 230hp range and supposedly got it dyno'd at 279hp @ ~12psi :lol:

kinda nuts on stock internals, compression, and stock manifold but oh well........ when i do decide to go for it... ill be building a good bottom end for it to hold the power and make sure its sent out to be balanced as well.

8. standardbyker88

Truck:
    or just find like 3 stock junkyard bottom ends and keep runnin them til they explode. lol.

side question, what are nos bottles charged to? i have a ton of propane stove baby bottles (for bbqs, theyre like a 32 gatorage bottle size), and a few old fire extinquishers. i dunno what could hold it. but i wanna be sneaky. lol.

9. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    Look simple enough... Go for it!:waytogo:

10. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    just use a small bottle regulated for it and paint it with the decals........ then glue a nozzle on the top :waytogo: :lol: who the hecks gonna notice :evil:

yup.... simple yet effective.... thats the idea.

we'll see......... i just cant stop dicking with the damn thing..... i constantly change plans as i go along and now im at the point where i change them before i get done with the plans im currently working on :lol:

11. standardbyker88

Truck:
    well i have a legit 1972 non rechargable extinguisher. how awesome is that for a baby nos shot? lol

12. tyme_fo_play

tyme_fo_play Addict

Truck:
    MY PRIDE MY JOY MY TOY!
    yo SD, i found out that your looking for a regular guage cluster to replace your sr5 one, are you still looking for one? if so are you willing to trade yours for a regular one? let me know..............

13. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    actually yes.... still lookin for one..... not sure if this was because of a faulty sending unit but i think the oil pressure gauge might* not be working correctly on mine..... just letting you know. if yer interested, PM me... :waytogo:

14. tyme_fo_play

tyme_fo_play Addict

Truck:
    MY PRIDE MY JOY MY TOY!
    pm sent!!!!!!!!!

15. FOKAI

FOKAI Veteran

Truck:
    84 truck, 05 4Runner
    Update? :shrug:

16. stampy

stampy Member

boost and carbs are pretty popular just look on youtube. Lots of 800 to 1000+ hp drag cars on there running turbos and boost prepped carbs.

If your for sure about running boost on your truck there some stuff you have to figure in like prepping the carb for boost. Here is a great guide on how to get that done http://www.hangar18fabrication.com/blowthru.html.

You also need to figure out what your going to do about fuel. you can either jet the carb real rich to give the extra air something to mix with which will affect the driveabilty. Or you could add a second fuel source and a injector with a boost sensing controller to add more and more fuel with every lbs of boost.

Ive been toying with this idea on my truck for awhile now and still have way more to learn, so dont take what i said as 100% fact. Thats just what read on forums and such. Any way GOOD LUCK DUDE baDD A$$ truck!

17. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Not trying to discourage you from completing this turbo project but you would have much more precise fuel control by swapping in the efi setup from a 82-84 celica. The wiring is very simple to pull from the donor and the only wires you will have to cut and lengthen are the wires to the AFM. These early efi systams do not control ignition (just like carbs) so you will need to lock the distributor just like a turbo/carb setup.

Hope you have success in which ever route you chose.

18. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    thanks guys.... but this project is far from seeing any boost at the moment.... its just another open door at the moment im peering into untill funds allow the actual process. i am reasearching the hell out of this though so i can start finding what i will need to run this setup. its a never ending process with this truck........ its never over. :evil:

anyhow..... as for updates its been a couple weeks since ive touched it because of parts i needed to track down, time, work, and personal life stuff that tends to take up the spare time i do have. its coming along slowly but should have it ready to fire up again soon you guys will be the second to know when that happens......... unfortunately....the neighbors will be the first :evil:

19. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    so i finally got around to wrapping up a few loose ends and here she is....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5c6GyB69bn8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5c6GyB69bn8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

20. toyotanator

toyotanator Member

Truck:
    77 pickup
    sounds sweet