Project 87

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Darrin87, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Darrin87

Darrin87 Member

Truck:
    87 xcab long bed 22r
  2. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    looking good, got a whole shot of the truck?

3. smctoy

smctoy Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 xcab...
    progress looks great!

4. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    looking good man! nice fab work!

5. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Hey Darrin, I'm getting ready to bag my front end, I noticed that you have placed the bag under the frame rail. Is this because of the extra lift that you would achieve for the body drop?

On my project I don't plan to do a body drop but would still like the extra lift, will doing it this way allow me to lay out still with just a "Z'd" frame and still attain the altitude?

Or am I way off and the distance the top of the bag is moved down equals the distance you cut out of the lower control arm?

Looks good by the way...:)

6. Darrin87

Darrin87 Member

Truck:
    87 xcab long bed 22r
    Litneon, the 2500 bags collapse to a height of 3 inches, mounting the upper bag mount on the lower edge of the frame and clearanceing the lower control arm to get that 3 inch space allow you to get all the usable lift out of the bag, also you will have to notch out the cross menber for the bag to fit as well and I'm thinking about trimming the lip off the inside of the upper control arm as well, I'm doing all this because of the body drop and the 19" wheels. If your not gonna body drop it but you are gonna z it you should get some serious liftout of the front I got alot of the ideas from this write up in mini trucking mag. I just didnt go the way of rasing the engine crossmember.
    http://www.minitruckinweb.com/tech/chassis/0702mt_toyota_truck_front_air_bags/index.html

7. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Yes, I found that write up. Very insightful, but more work than I think I want to get into. I could definitely do it that way, I'm just not sure it'll be worth the extra time since I am not going to do a body drop.

Keep it up, I'll check back in on you...

8. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    do it like in the right up, but don't section the engine x-member. they had to cut into the lower control arm since it wasn't z'd. since your truck is already z'd all you have to do is plate the lower control arm, clearance the engine x-member a little so the bag don't rub, and install the upper mounts right under the frame rail. it will give you about 10" of lift.

9. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Thanks for the info. It's tough to find info on how to properly do this type of project. I'll post up some pics when I get started on it in the new year.