Polar Vortex "anti-freeze check"

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by Hands_On_Henry, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Hands_On_Henry

Hands_On_Henry Member

Truck:
    1985 22R/4spd
    If you have been watching the news then you already know that the northern half of the country has been getting slapped with some very frigid temperatures lately. The Polar Vortex comes down from the North and brings very low temps, wind chill, and snow. If you are in a part of the country that doesn't know about it......be glad.
    With the cold temps I thought it would be a good time to check my coolant and make sure I wasn't risking a catastrophic freeze. Also, some may remember that when I got my little cheap truck it needed the water pump replaced, those things combined helped me to decide that I should just get a new T-Stat and seal. There seems to be some question on what temp is OE spec for a 22R (the one I installed is a 185).
    So, on to the real reason of my post: Check Your Coolant!!!
    You can get a little gauge at most parts stores for cheap, you suck coolant into it like a turkey baster, the colored balls inside will float according to how "good" your anti-freeze is. Also remember that coolant not only has anti-freeze in it, but anti-corrosion additives as well. If you have never had to think twice about your coolant, now might be a good time for a change.
    The reason behind all of this coolant rambling can be summed up in the attached pic. The night before this pic the temps. dropped to -15* F. with wind chill, I'm guessing -20 would have popped some freeze plugs. I feel like I dodged a bullet and thought it reason enough to share.

Stay Warm everyone![​IMG][/url][/IMG] [​IMG]

2. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    I'm not up north, but good "looking out"!

I've always known 22r/re's to run on the cool side.

My dad used to run a piece of cardboard in front of half his radiator until his 22r was warmed up. If it ever got above "normal" he would stop and pull it out.

Guessing he picked up that trick while living in Minnesota? But he still does it here in CA :)

Hands_On_Henry likes this.