OJ's 1985 Refresh Project

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by OJ's DNA, Feb 17, 2009.

1. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    yup, same exact wheels you have. 16x8 in the rear with the -10 offset.

if you took those 215's off and ran a 205 size tire, it'll be 1/2 inch narrower and stretch the tire in a bit like mine. if you run a 205/50 instead of a 55 series it'll tuck the tire in a bit more. just something to think about. plus, i think it looks good too :waytogo:

[​IMG]

2. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    ^ That's a different bed than OJ's... But, you are correct a narrower/lower profile tire will give you back some clearance.

OJ~ your original bed would clear them wheels.... See pic #1

Pic#1

[​IMG]

Pic#2 "Jap bed" Will definetly not clear them 16X8's... *Sorry bro*

[​IMG]

Pic#3 "Cali bed" Same as pic#1

[​IMG]

3. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    oh wow..... totally forgot about that! i forgot he swapped over..... :doah:

ummmmm yea......... totally will not clear that bed. as it is, the cali bed flares out almost 2 inches on each side :thinking:

well, if its of any interest to you, i DO have some 16x7 Starions as spares i could possibly send your way..... theyre in decent shape. i think one or both have a couple minor dings but nothing bad. i can get you pics of them if you'd like....... let me know.

if need be, you can cruise by and check em out........ if i remember correctly i recall seeing a blue cali plate on your truck with a chargers plate frame so im assuming you live relatively close. :thinking:

4. OJ's DNA

OJ's DNA Member

SD Yota - Quote: well, if its of any interest to you, i DO have some 16x7 Starions as spares i could possibly send your way..... theyre in decent shape. i think one or both have a couple minor dings but nothing bad. i can get you pics of them if you'd like....... let me know.

That would be great man, and yes I'm in Temecula so I can make a run down to SD anytime. Let me know if you want cash or I have the 2 16 x 8 wheels that look good and have 215/55's Hankooks on them with a lot of meat still, I believe they were only driven about 2-3k miles at most so we could swap if you have a need for them. So thanks for the offer, just let me know what you're interested in for return.

Also I put the OE wheels back on last night until I get the Starions I need and at first I was kinda diggin the OE look on the lowered truck. Again it's not flashy and the wheels are old but I thought it was kinda cool in an understated way but what's your feedback? You guys are the only ones on the planet that care so I need to hear it! The same pictures are below, one with starions one with OE - let me know your thoughts. THANKS!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    ok, here's what i think.

take your truck as your g/f. she looks good in just about anything.

the stockies are like she's in a nice pair of jeans and a slightly small shirt... she looks good and there are "nice features" :D

now, your stsarion's are as if she got ready for a night out on the town..... little black dress with everything accenting "the goods" :waytogo:

either way she looks good, its just depends on what yer in the mood for :waytogo:

ill clean up the spare starions i have so you can come take a look....... if you wanna swap em ill do a straight swap man :waytogo:

there's a local tire shop in town i got my new front tires for 100 bux for both front tires, mounted and balanced if you wanna hit them up for a set.

6. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1987 Toyota 2wd JT4RN50 Airbagged custom
    Awesome updates, paint N' drop lokks killer, I personally like the 7" Starions in the back idea and I think it would be sweet to see it rollN with them. Keep up the great work . . .

7. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    yea...... me personally, i would keep the starion's and toss a skinnier tire to fit if it dont fit otherwise.

ill clean up that set i have and see if i cant get some pictures.

8. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    either rims, if u keep the stockies, do a off tone color in the center of the rim and leave the polished lip..just my .02

9. SUNSETJOE

SUNSETJOE Enthusiast

Truck:
    81 SR5 longbed
    If you ever decide to get rid of those stock wheels let me know. PM me. I will drive up to Temecula and give you cash.

10. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    Lanya you beat me to it.... :(

11. OJ's DNA

OJ's DNA Member

Ha, Ha thanks man but I probably keep all the oe stuff I took off this week. I've dropped cars before and then tossed the old oe stuff and later on wished I hadn't. But I'll keep it in mind for sure.

Thanks again for all the input guys - this site has some great people.:waytogo:

12. OJ's DNA

OJ's DNA Member

So while I had the door panel off I figured I would buy some noise reduction material and try it out. More popular brands are the fat mat or dynamat, I actually bought some material off ebay for around 40.00 shipped called R-Bloxs, the adhesion was good and it was thin and pliable enough to go anywhere.

I'm not sure how good the stuff is yet but as you know these trucks are all metal, the hood, inside the door, etc. so at this point I figured something was better than nothing. Here is what it looks like.

[​IMG]

Inside the hood
    [​IMG]

Inside the door
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is some foam/egg carton type sound proofing material I got from work, when I recarpet the floor I'm going to install this stuff and possibly the R-Bloxs as well. I bought 25 sq ft and it's appears to be more than enough for our trucks. Hopefully I can eliminate some road noise with this stuff, if not it didn't cost me to much to find out.:shrug:
    [​IMG]

13. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Here's a thought on the steelies.

I have thought about rocking the 16x7 steelies that come as spare tire rims in the MK3 supras. They are built just like you 14" steelies (with the D shaped openings), just bigger and the same bolt pattern. I can even get the rally rings in 16".

If you want to rock the starion's you can always buy these flares.

[​IMG]

Too bad you already painted her up nice.

14. OJ's DNA

OJ's DNA Member

Thanks for the info - I've never heard of the Mk3 Supra spares. I might need to investigate as I think one of my steelies are off a little, my friend was behind me the other day and noted that the rear wheel was wobbly, not turning straight. Appreciate the tip man, really cool idea with the fender as well.

15. OJ's DNA

OJ's DNA Member

So I'm buying all the little things from Toyota in order to finish this project up, kinda neat to be able to still get all the little things just like new, I know sometimes the stealership isn't cheap but it's nice to be able to get original door seals, panel clips, hood nozzles, etc. to finish off the truck.

I've had three holes in the back of my xtra-cab for over a year now, the xtra-cab light was $111.00 from the stealership but what else could I do? I called around to every salvage yard I could find and no one had any. But at the end of the day for $111.00 I have a brand new light that fits perfectly and works.

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

16. bootleg

bootleg Enthusiast

Truck:
    1990 4-speed
    :eek:WOW stealership is right:eek: for that dinky little part:brickknock:

but it does look RIGHT, I would do the same thing

17. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Should have kept... '88 4x4 22RE
    Even though I love the freedom of having the 4WD, I kinda wish that my Hilux was a 4x2... No way to get it that low without trading chassis with someone. D*** transfer case and crossmember hang down too far. And obviously with standard hubs, Starion rims won't work and low-pros would look wierd on something like mine.

18. blazinrola80

blazinrola80 Member

logged in to see the progress on this truck.. remember my truck was a 86 turbo truck and it had the flared bed.. i rolled the lips on the bed as well.. in order to get that perfect tuck.. heres the only pic i can find of the truck..[​IMG]

215 55 16 was a perfect size for mine with its gearing and the fact it was turbo.. i didnt have a problem with it.. id ither do flare in rear or get 16 x 7's sorry that didnt work out for you man.. i thought you still had the same bed as it use to have.. i just aquired a pair of 16 x 8 if any one else is intrested...

19. OJ's DNA

OJ's DNA Member

Hey man funny you posted that pic as that's the one that sold me on getting these wheels and your lowering kit - I really love how your trucked looked there. It's all good though, I'm actually enjoying the old steelies and SD Yota was cool enough to offer me a swap of his 2 16 x 7 Starions for my 2 16 x 8 Starions so I can put them back on.

Hey, whats up with the front bumber bro?

20. blazinrola80

blazinrola80 Member

i have been so busy with work i havent had time to snap a few.. but low n lod can vouch for the bumper it was his old bumper.. with 4wd brackets.. bolt on