New Guy from Florida

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Dustin McSwain, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Dustin McSwain

Dustin McSwain Newbie

Truck:
    1974 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    Hey there, I'm from Florida and I'm getting back into the vintage Toyota game, but this time with a pickup. Previously owned a Toyota AE86, currently own a '86 Nissan 200SX and now a 1974 Toyota Pickup/Hilux. The truck needs....a lot of work. I purposely bough the truck as a "body project". I fluent in body work, and I've done it for quite some time, but I've never taken on one with the amount of work this one needs, and I've never taken on a vehicle completely by myself. This project is gonna take some time, but it's nothing that I'm gonna rush. The plan is to save this truck from the woods it came out of. My friend bought the truck for $350 to get a few parts off of about a week ago, and once he got those parts off of it, he sold it to me for $100. The bed is pretty much rotted out, the floorboards in the cab are rusted, part of the frame rail in the engine bay has a rust hole in it, the battery tray looks like it exploded and out a hole in the wheel well, and then there is some rust in quite a few other spots. But, like I said, I think I can still save this thing. With some replaceable panels, sheet metal, a welder, some body tools, some body filler, a good amount of heavy filling primer, lots of block sanding, more primer, more sanding, more primer, more sanding and then some good paint.....the truck will be back to where it needs to be appearance wise.

Then I can put a motor and trans back into it. I'm not sure if I wanna out the 1.8 back into it that it had, or go with a 20R or something along those lines. We'll see once we get to that point, or if I even reach that point with this thing. Anyways, keep up with the build as it progresses because I'm sure I'll start a build thread here soon at some point.

Attached Files:

2. KS.ID

KS.ID Enthusiast

Truck:
    RN22 1972 Hilux
    Welcome!
    Looks like you've got all the right tools in your garage. RockAuto and Keywords: Toyota RN20 on eBay will be your best friend as you begin looking for parts.

3. macawilial

macawilial Veteran

Truck:
    89 4x4 sold. 90 4runner 4x4 sold. 92 bagged sold. 81 longbed sold. 72 RN14...keeping
    Welcome! cool project

4. Dustin McSwain

Dustin McSwain Newbie

Truck:
    1974 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    I was trying to figure out which RN2x code I was gonna have to start using for search purposes. It's been a little confusing trying to learn some stuff on these pickups at the moment. I'm sure over time it'll be easier though