Need help identifying a steel case 5 speed and where to buy a clutch fork and throw out bearing coll

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by matthew babon, Jul 1, 2023.

1. matthew babon

matthew babon Newbie

I have a 76 with some unknown history... We can get to that later. The truck was clearly modified to accept this gearbox. I pulled it apart because it was squealing like an injured pig when I stepped on the clutch. There are no clips to be found. The throw out bearing is seized, and the fork and collar have been damaging each other badly. A search for '76 clutch fork at the chain stores offered no results. Even if there were results I can't say this gearbox should even be in the truck.. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Happy independence day weekend,. Matt

2. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Most likely a W50. This was only 5 speed transmission available that year. The W50 also has the steel shell.

You should have a build plate in the engine compartment. They’re usually mounted on the drivers side inner fender or firewall. This will show the engine/transmission/axle type installed on your vehicle when manufactured.

I’ve attached a copy of my build plate so you know what to look for.

Over the years things may have been added or deleted. The steel case suggests it is the W50. That model of transmission is almost impossible to find parts for.

The 5th line down shows your transmission & axle type. In my case I have the L43 transmission and the GO82 rear axle. Good luck.

Attached Files:

3. matthew babon

matthew babon Newbie

thankyou for the quick response. Impossible wasn't the word I was hopping for. I guess the original build was an A30. The crossmember was notched and 2 new holes added to hold the swapped transmission. Maybe I will try to build the surfaces up with JB weld and file smooth. Then try to source the clips.
    upload_2023-7-2_10-19-42.jpeg

4. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    I’m confused. The A30 is a 3 speed automatic transmission. Is that what your build plate is showing?

If yes, someone has swapped in a standard transmission for the automatic.
    That makes no sense to me. They would have had to add a new pedal assembly as well as a clutch master cylinder.

Double check your build plate. Something is wrong here.

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Ok so going based off of wikipedia(i know i know) W50 was used through 82 in the pickups. Going on toyotapartsdeal.com searching a 82 pickup i get PN 31204-20090 for the fork $39. Look up the remaining parts and you're set

6. matthew babon

matthew babon Newbie

thankyou! she is a dirty girl, been half way round the world, used abused and so forth. served me well thru a year of daily driving and hope for many more years of fair weather transit. my 87 4x4 is back up and running with a rebuilt marlin crawler g52 , so I owe this one some attention. going to chase that link. thankyou all for your selfless donations

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I like to search for the part numbers on that site then google for the best price if find a local dealer to buy from.

matthew babon likes this.
  8. matthew babon

matthew babon Newbie

Thank you for the help! I was able to get all the parts. All went together well, but I have a concern with the way that the throw out bearing sits on the collar. I installed the bearing with a bearing/ seal driver on the bearing inner race until it was flush with the end of the collar. The concern is that the bearing does not touch the machined surface on the collar. wrong bearing? Leave it as is and it will work itself down if need be? Stuff it in a vice and bottom it out? Any thoughts are appreciated. Sorry to bother you all, just don't want to have to pull the transmission again. Google was't helpful, neither were the forum searches that I tried. I did see some mention of thick and thin bearings.
    Thanx, Matt

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I wana say usually one side of of bearing outer shell has a 90° corner and the other has a curve to it. one side fits up better than the other.

if this is actually true you may need to pull it and flip it

10. matthew babon

matthew babon Newbie

Anyone? Balls deep, or does it need to bottom out? Will try to get a picture up soon

11. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    At this point it would make more sense to take the whole throw out assembly to a transmission shop or quality garage.

I would rather spend a few dollars to get expert advice than have to take everything apart later.

jetas likes this.
  12. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Have to agree with Fred. If you arent sure of what you already have done, take it to someone to have it looked at

13. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    I had hoped my 1979 Celica FSM would have a few pictures of the W50 throw out bearing but this is the best I could find...

The best i can discern is the bearing appears to be pressed all the way down, against the fork tabs on the carrier. There are no pics of whether the other end is flush or not.... 20230721_222823.jpg

Last edited: Jul 22, 2023
  14. matthew babon

matthew babon Newbie

i will bottom it out against the tabs. Thank you all