My windshield wipers are suuuper slooooooow....

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by Perkolator, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Wondering if anyone has replaced the motor on their Hilux windshield wipers?

Mine are suuuper sloooow - like literally takes a full two seconds to go across then back on the "fast" setting; slow setting is just ridiculous to watch. For sure I'm going to try and take apart the linkage arms and grease everything up to see what improvement that makes. Google search shows there are replacement motors available, but not sure if that's going to make them magically be sufficient to drive in the rain or not or if I'm going to have to rely on RainX

Curious what speed everyone else's wipers move at?

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Pull the switch and clean the contacts. See if that helps before you go and spend money

3. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Not a bad idea. I've already had to do that with my headlight switch

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I highly recommend that shit to any and all contacts for switches on these trucks

5. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Are you running duel batteries with an isolator?
    Many times people hook into the wiper wiring harness to provide ignition power to the isolator. Or, for other accessories requiring an “ignition on” source. Check your wiper harness for splices. Many times the voltage draw will steal power from the wiper motor causing it to run slow.

6. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    No I have the stock single battery setup and there aren't any accessories on the truck aside from a gauge pod. I don't recall where they pulled power from but it wasn't the wiper harness, I wanna say it was the fuel pump wiring but I'll have to check.

Are the motorhomes dual battery setup?

7. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    what is there, like 4 switches on these trucks? haha :ROFL:

8. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Theres enough contacts on those 4 switches to cause issues. Not to mention the back of the fuse block is the same quick disconnect type connector that can and will corrode

9. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Most are. You have your normal truck battery, and a second battery that provides 12V power to the coach (living area). They’ve usually separated by an isolator so you don’t kill the start battery when camping. While running, the isolator allows the alternator to charge both batteries. With ignition off, only the “coach” battery provides power to the camper. This way you don’t kill your start battery while boondocking.
    Some trucks with high draw stereo systems use a second battery just for the stereo. I’d still look for a splice (under dash?) or just clean all contacts before assuming it’s a bad switch.

10. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Yeah I'm familiar with how the dual battery setups work. A lot of guys do it to their Land Cruisers for overlanding/camping setups.

11. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    After you clean your contacts, check your speed control adjustment on the wiper motor and loosen the nut securing the adjustment screw, advance or retard with your wipers in the air for no resistance. Remember that the main ground wires from your engine to the chassis has to have a good ground for most of your switches to operate correctly. Clean the surface area under those ground contacts as well as the wire connection and reconnect the ground wires. If in doubt, add a addition ground from the chassis to the engine and check that contact with a multimeter.