My first Toyota

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by 85pickamatruck, Apr 12, 2012.

1. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Looking like progress .. I'd try maybe a spacer or even a bolt on spacer to try and clear the brake calipers . Cause starions are one the best looking wheels for these trucks .. A lot folks will say spacers are dangerous .not the case so Long as high quality material and proper length studs are used

2. 85pickamatruck

85pickamatruck Veteran

Truck:
    85' Base
    Well here is the crappy thing. Already the width from disk brake to disk brake is almost 6" wider then the toyota. So I will need some MASSIVE fender flares. I did find some replacement wheels that might work.
    [​IMG]

Up front I would go 17x9 and rear would go 18x10 or 18x12.

I love the staggered look and would actually help out with grip. Im still up in the air if I want to go 18 for both front and rear or do an offset between the two.

If I did do a spacer and run the starions I would need almost an inch to clear the caliper. It clears the disk brake just fine, just need space for the caliper.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  3. kingtacoma951

kingtacoma951 Addict

Truck:
    88 SR5 Xtra Cab
    Dang those rims are nice....nice deep lip

4. 85pickamatruck

85pickamatruck Veteran

Truck:
    85' Base
    So today I got the last real thing out of the Lexus I needed.

I was able to unbolt the rear suspension assembly. Like the front it only had 10 12mm bolts holding it in place.

[​IMG]

After a little bit of cleaning it will look real good having IRS in the truck

[​IMG]

I know on here alot we are trying to find a way to get rear disc brakes. Well here is another option. May not be the easiest but ill have 12.5" rear disc brakes. Pretty major upgrade from the factory drums.

[​IMG]

As of right now I have about 90% of everything I need out of the Lexus. All thats left is the ECU, possibly fuel tank and brake booster. Almost done with the brakedown of the Lexus.

[​IMG]

5. 85pickamatruck

85pickamatruck Veteran

Truck:
    85' Base
    After removing a few parts from the toyota frame I put the new suspension under the truck frame. I still have not done any frame modifications to the frame yet but wanted to get the two suspension components under the frame to see what Im working with.

As you can see with the Starion wheels up, the track width is massive!
    [​IMG]

I knew it would already be about 6" wider than the toyota front end but with the 16x8 Starions up front it really pushes it out.

The back is not nearly as wide. It has the stock SC wheels on it right now. With the offset on them they really push the wheel inward. With new wheels hopefully it will be more even with the front.
    [​IMG]

The plan so far is to run a staggered pattern front to back. Seeing how big the offset difference is I might have to run a staggered offset to make them more even as well.

6. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    Awesome project.I will be following this one for sure.

7. TwinTurboTaco

TwinTurboTaco Enthusiast

Truck:
    92 2X
    Pics Dale, Pics!

8. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    Looks kick ass so far. You're sho's buddy I met at the old school show in bothell yeah? I think ya rode shotgun into the show.

Anyways, one option for body panels is using prerunner fenders and bed sides. A guy here makes them, Slacker I think.

9. 85pickamatruck

85pickamatruck Veteran

Truck:
    85' Base
    No real updates for this build. All I have done is built the a new front frame for the Lexus front suspension assembly. Im getting married in a few months so zero money will be going to this project till everything is set.

This is where it sits now...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So being that I have the donor car sitting in the yard I was able to crawl under it and get all the measurements of how its sub frame was build and I just "copied" it.

10. 85pickamatruck

85pickamatruck Veteran

Truck:
    85' Base
    Yes I have been talking with Slacker. He is up in the Vancouver BC area

11. 85pickamatruck

85pickamatruck Veteran

Truck:
    85' Base
    Starions for sale

My starions are up for sale!

Check out the FOR SALE Section

12. 85pickamatruck

85pickamatruck Veteran

Truck:
    85' Base
    So I have been out of town for a few months working on the other side of the state. The company I work for primarily works on Hydro Dams all over the US. Luckily most of the Dams are in the state I live in.

This is a picture of the site I was just at. Its called Chief Joseph Dam in Washington State. Its the second largest Hydro Dam in the USA just behind Grand Coulee Dam. Coulee is only a few miles upriver and we also do a bunch of work there. [​IMG]

Now that Im back in town I got the garage moved around and the Lexus back in. I was able to remove all the electronics I needed. (ECU, ABS, Fuel ECU) Along with the wiring harness for those.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have every wiring diagram for the entire car. Thankfully because of my work I am reading wiring diagrams daily so it shouldn't be too difficult to weed the things out I don't need.

I decided I will remove the entire fuel system from the Lexus. Tank, pump, everything. I don't like the look of the tank but I will try and use it in the bed of the truck till I get a fuel cell or figure out what I want to do there.

I'm off work for the next 4 weeks so hopefully ill be in the garage the entire time haha

13. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

Damn. You are going all out. are you going 5 speed?

14. 85pickamatruck

85pickamatruck Veteran

Truck:
    85' Base
    Yea that was the plan. I cut all the wiring to the auto trans already out of the ecu. Just need to buy the adapter plate kit

15. 85pickamatruck

85pickamatruck Veteran

Truck:
    85' Base
    So I've had a few days off work. Only able to get in the garage for a little bit though. Was able to pull the entire fuel system out of the Lexus and got that out of the garage. Took the frame out from the rafters and bolted up the front IFS to it. After that I put the motor in place. Nice thing about using the factory sub assembly is the motor is "bolt in"

Put the auto tranny in and driveline to see where the IRS will sit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took measurements off the Lexus and built the frame around that. So as you can see I got plenty of room for radiator and fans.

[​IMG]

16. 85pickamatruck

85pickamatruck Veteran

Truck:
    85' Base
    So this is a guy I know from church. This is his SC300. Same suspension as me and what I could do to my truck after it's done.

[​IMG]

This is all he did. Stock coils to new ones. I like it.

[​IMG]

17. yota4life

yota4life Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1991 xcab 2wd 4cyl
    How wide is that IRS? And do you need to narrow the half shafts? I have a ls400 IRS for mine but it needs to be narrowed

18. 85pickamatruck

85pickamatruck Veteran

Truck:
    85' Base
    Bot sure on how wide they are. I can go look if need be. I'm not concerned about the track width. I knew before starting it would be a lot wider then our stock front suspension.