My '78 "Pickup"

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Dan McBoost, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Finished up installing the 22RE inside harness, but still need to do the new gauges and ignition wiring to the 78 key cylinder. I also need to make a bracket for the 22RE driver side fuse panel as these old pickups do not have any panels in the kick. Just metal, heh.

I ordered a honda CRV coolant tank and a cable bracket that I should be able to mount the throttle linkage to.

Tonight I will work on re-spraying the bed bolts and try to get them loose. I want the gas tank in ASAP so I can get that off of the list.

2. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    On the July 27th, I found out why I was missing power at a harness I split to bring it into the cabin, but did not reconnect them, Doh! Dang notes.

Pulled the pump to find this:
    [​IMG]

Cleaned the hanger up before replacing the pump:
    [​IMG]

New (smaller sized) pump mounted up and once connected I was able to find those 4 wires, reconnect them and boom, started right up! Now the fuel pressure was high enough the temporary return hose that I had a plastic fitting to reach back to the tank turned into a Vegas styled fountain of beauty with the stench of danger (fuel). Off the to the store to get a brass replacement (still temp, but now I can run it).

On July 29th:
    It was wire clean up time:
    [​IMG]

Finished (white wires are grounds for each kick):
    [​IMG]

July 31st:
    22RE harness installed into the dash. Just need to make a bracket to mount the 22re fuse panel in the kick.

Wiring mostly finished passenger side:
    [​IMG]

Driver side:
    [​IMG]

A substitute battery installed for the time being (before I go small lithium):
    [​IMG]

Bed comes off tonight August 3rd.

jetas and Perkolator like this.
  3. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    well sh*t.

timing cover is leaking (coolant) on the passenger side (and into the oilpan). Time to pull it all back apart. The gaskets will be here Tuesday and hope to get it back together for Toyotafest on the 20th.

This weekend I will work on getting the fuel tank in. I did not get the bed pulled yet, but I do have it prepped for it. Bed is empty, bolts are sprayed, engine lift is here (an extra hand if needed) and it is ready.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2023
  4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    The timing cover have a hole in it from the chain or what?

5. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    git r done

Bed off, 78 fuel tank removed, 5th gen fuel tank mounted (relocation of the forward tank x-brace), fuel lines ran, 5th gen tank wiring complete. Still plenty to do but the bed is just new hardware away from being put back on. I wanted to yesterday but I remembered just after everything closed. Dang Sundays.

Bed off:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple things the cab was hiding:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The x-brace I needed to cut off and move back to where the 5th gen tank is in the photo.
    [​IMG]

Time to weld:
    [​IMG]

Done:
    [​IMG]

The 5th gen tank wiring brought into the cabin. I do need to pull the carpet back up on one side to send it under:
    [​IMG]

Just new hardware away from being back on, Here you can see the tank had to be set back (thus moving the x-brace) to clear a bed mount on the correct side for the fuel filler door:
    [​IMG]

I also had to use the 78's filler neck and vent tube as the 5th gen was much smaller at the body side.

Finally, no more wires and fuel lines hanging over the fender. Phew what a weekend.
    [​IMG]

No, I think I just screwed up the gasket. I will black RTV a skim coat this time.

Perkolator likes this.
  6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Did you have the block machined? And did the timing cover get machined with it?

7. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    No, it was a complete engine together from a local yard. Is that necessary?!

Also for the long beach sticker on the frame, I quickly found a ton of info and this from wiki:

The plant was established to circumvent the chicken tax, a 25 percent tariff on light trucks imposed in 1964 by the United States under President Lyndon B. Johnson in response to tariffs placed by France and West Germany on importation of U.S. chicken. While the government said the tariff was meant to curtail importation of German-built Volkswagen Type 2s, other models were also impacted, including the Toyota Hilux (also known as the Toyota Pickup). Toyota found a tariff engineering loophole: they could import "chassis cab" configurations (which included the entire truck, less the truck bed) with only a 4% tariff. When the trucks arrived in the United States, a truck bed would be locally built and attached to the chassis before being sent to dealers.

To do this work, Toyota struck a deal in 1971 with Atlas Fabricators, which would begin producing the truck beds and installing them starting in November. The partnership was successful and, in February 1974, Toyota purchased the company and renamed it Long Beach Fabricators. The plant was Toyota's first manufacturing investment in the United States.

The company would change its name to Toyota Motor Manufacturing (USA) Inc. (TMM) in March 1980. The TMM name would later be used for Toyota's Kentucky assembly plant that would begin production in May 1988. On June 6, 1988, the California plant was renamed TABC, Inc. (Toyota Auto Body California), a nod to the company's Toyota Auto Body manufacturing subsidiary.

Toyota would later say that TABC had a large role in building Toyota's pickup trucks into a major model in the U.S. on the same level as the Corolla and the Camry. In 1984, Toyota established a joint-venture vehicle manufacturing plant with General Motors called NUMMI (New United Motor Manufacturing, Inc.), which would begin assembling complete Hilux trucks in the United States starting in 1990 for the 1991 model year. However, TABC would continue to complete final assembly on trucks imported from Japan through the 1995 model year, when NUMMI began full-scale production of the Tacoma, a pickup truck designed exclusively for the North American market.

Between 2004 and 2008, TABC was the assembly location for the first U.S.-produced Hino Motors commercial truck.

As of December 2020, the plant produces sheet metal and aluminum components, weld subassemblies, steering columns, catalytic converters, and painted service parts for Toyota's North American manufacturing facilities and for export to Toyota's facilities in Japan, along with producing catalytic converters and numerous past model service parts for Toyota Motor North America.

Erwin Merida and Perkolator like this.
  8. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    If the head mating surface of the block was machined, the timing cover shouldve been machined with it. Since the front edge of the head sits on the cover also. It will create a gap between the block and head if it doesnt match.

9. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Understood, thanks. This engine was not machined at all. Was a donar engine from another chassis. Same engine and timing cover as when I bought it. Just removed to do the guides and such.

jetas likes this.
  10. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Bed went back on!
    [​IMG]

Then I worked on the battery hold down bracket. It was from a newer pickup, but the front end was wrong, so it was time to modify it. I did not take a photo of the first cuts sadly.

How it started:
    [​IMG]

Novice time! After the first 45* cuts, bent up 90* and welded, then cut and bent back down:
    [​IMG]

The radiator end was too long, so I cut that off and used it to add material to this section:
    [​IMG]

Once done and cleaned up:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Painted and installed:
    [​IMG]

Then it was onto modifying / merging the 78 foot pedal with the 5th gen top section (cable end). The 78's parking brake is RIGHT in the way. So I had to bend the top around it:
    [​IMG]

bent and welded to the 78 pedal around where it kept the cable angle best. Painted and ready for install later today.
    [​IMG]

This is version one as I already know how I want to change it next time, but it will do. I do need to add a bit longer "stop" bolt to behind the 78's pedal, but need another set of eyes to make sure I have that adjusted right.

Now onto the coolant leak...

jetas likes this.
  11. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I ended up making a battery hold down with some flat stock, a piece of square tube cut in half and some all-thread

Dan McBoost likes this.
  12. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    I get it, but I am a bit of an OEM+ kinda guy. haha

13. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I hear you. I wanted it done and not look jerry rigged and its been there all along lol

14. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Yesterday I started off swapping the original bed bolts to new M12 1.25TP (same as stock) JIS flange bolts and nuts:
    [​IMG]

Then tossed the gas pedal in (later buying a more fitting pedal stop bolt to not stress the cable or pedal). here you can see the bend around the parking brake:
    [​IMG]

The fire wall side. The original rod system left a large hole (and the welded nuts were a bit wider than the 5th gen firewall cable mounting points). Before:
    [​IMG]

after some thick garage door foam was trimmed acting as a seal (fits perfectly tight now):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2023
    Erwin Merida likes this.
  15. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    I took a couple days off and started working on "no power" to the 78 fuse panel. I checked every single repair manual's wiring diagram and cannot find where the feed (I could not even find the correct colors) comes from. So I bypassed it and once I buy/find a 5th gen fuse panel plug (its on the back), I will convert all the 78s fuses to the 5th gen panel. For now, it is driveable (other than the lack of coolant/coolant leak).

To dive into that now? A week before Toyotafest or not? I think I will just start it enough to pull it onto and off of the trailer and worry about the timing cover leak after toyotafest. I have a few other small things I need to do to this and another larger project I HAVE to do tomorrow.

For now, the current fuse panel mounted/installed and some bypassing until I get the fuse panel wiring pigtail I need:
    [​IMG]

Happy to have lights again. The first fuse I supplied power to:
    [​IMG]

Erwin Merida likes this.
  16. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Yesterday I started cleaning up the windows and interior vacuuming, then replacing the door gaskets and the upper drivers door pin that the bushings were gone. I will finish that up tonight.

17. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
  18. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    The after Toyotafest friends meet:
    [​IMG]

nottoshabi likes this.
  19. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    from Toyotafest New England 2023's show last weekend with the RNs:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
  20. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Fixed the main coolant leak, but do have a drip to figure out which is more forward than the timing cover (seems radiator, cap or hose connection). bled the system which made a mess on the floor so it may have just been residual from that running down the radiator.

Took it around the block for the first time! Boy it needs an exhaust, lol.

Erwin Merida likes this.