My 1uzfe build

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Mr.Mini_4.0, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Mr.Mini_4.0

Mr.Mini_4.0 Enthusiast

Thanks Bmnrad! Are you from Minnesota
    ?

2. Bmnrad

Bmnrad Newbie

Truck:
    94 standard cab 2wd
    Yeah I'm up in Duluth.

3. Mr.Mini_4.0

Mr.Mini_4.0 Enthusiast

Oh nice.. We usually cruise up there at the end of every summer.

4. Bmnrad

Bmnrad Newbie

Truck:
    94 standard cab 2wd
    There's been a few groups cruising up more that I've noticed. Going to proving grounds in June at BIR?

5. Mr.Mini_4.0

Mr.Mini_4.0 Enthusiast

6. jblaust

jblaust Veteran

Truck:
    1994 Pickup Standard Cab Base 22RE Manual
    Wow...Nice build...I like the attention to detail!

Mr.Mini_4.0 likes this.
  7. Mr.Mini_4.0

Mr.Mini_4.0 Enthusiast

Thanks man. The goal to get it running this week. After all the long days of hard work, I'm excited to hear it grow I won't lie.

8. Mr.Mini_4.0

Mr.Mini_4.0 Enthusiast

Updates: over the weekend I did some work, also ran into an issue that pushed the entire process out a few mores days which is fine. While installing the lines for the clutch, I snapped one of the fittings which I have another one coming this week. I also painted the engine bay and started reassembling things.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I applied some rust treatment that Toyota useds for their frame recalls that I kept from when I was a technician. The frame is all prepped up at this point. I also replaced the upper control arms. Will be putting in the lower arms when I get the ballpoint kit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All I have to do at this point is to mount the engine and training, move the frame over to the cab and lower it. Then start working on getting it started. I'm excited:)!!

Bmnrad and Mikerocosms like this.
  9. Mr.Mini_4.0

Mr.Mini_4.0 Enthusiast

Updates, updates, updates! Unfortunately, u didn't meet my RUN goal as mentioned the other day, I had some issues. As you can see in the last few posts, the engine bay is black and I didn't like it. I decided to paint the bay the same color that is going on the truck. So I took everything off and sanded the engine bay down. I had the bay reprepped for paint. Considering this is my first time doing a real paint job, I didn't pay attention to the temperature in my garage. I believe it was 37 degrees the day before and 39 degrees the day I decided to paint. I had my heater on, but the garage wasn't really warm. And Man, did that sucked:/.. After the first coat of paint that night I started noticing orange peel on Several spots and by the time I could catch the mistake the entire engine bay looked like I spilled a chemical to remove the paint. After two days of doing research to found out what I did wrong, and I was ready to redo it. So I had the entire bay sanded to the metal. Took me two days, my hands are still sore from sanding. Anyways I complete that sanding process day before yesterday, sprayed the bay with some 2k primer and did some minor sanding touch ups on the places ppl eyes will go when I pop my hood. Put in a long day today. Early this morning, I heated the garage to 69 degrees with my small heater for two hours and repainted the entire thing. This is how it turned out. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You can still notice some orange peel if you're up close, but those will be cover with grill, light bumper and stuff like that. But the engine bay itself it beautiful. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I like the way it turned out. Between coats, worked on running my power wires and stuff like that. I also installed all of my o2 sensors today and completes the drivetrain. [​IMG]
    Up next was to move the frame under the cab. Did that and got as far as running my fuel lines, and little small stuff around the engine bay. So hopefully I can get a start out of it tomorrow. [​IMG]
    The hard work is paying if y'all!:)

Mikerocosms likes this.
  10. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Looking real good!

Mr.Mini_4.0 likes this.
  11. Mr.Mini_4.0

Mr.Mini_4.0 Enthusiast

Thanks man. I'm excited. I hope to get it running today for sure. The little mods I had to do, and the driveline setup took a lot of time. Especially that engine bay redo. But at this point, everything will move fast.

12. Mr.Mini_4.0

Mr.Mini_4.0 Enthusiast

As intended, today was D day. Got the truck running. Unfortunately I couldn't run it long enough because I bought a 4Runner aluminum radiator that I was you to modify to work for the swap but it turned out the radiatot is way too tall. I had already installed the fans on it so I can't return it for my money:/. Anyways if somebody is interested in buying it, let me know I'll send you pics of the radiator:). But the truck started right up on first try and runs fine. Here is a vid. the video doesn't do the justic on the sound, but it's sounds great. I'll have to figure out why the clutch fluid isn't going down the lines, bleed the clutch, bleed the brakes, make sure it moves like it should, then I'll move to the rest of the body work. Here's the clip.

Turbo Blow Through and jblaust like this.
  13. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Damn that sounds good!

Mr.Mini_4.0 likes this.
  14. Mr.Mini_4.0

Mr.Mini_4.0 Enthusiast

Thank you sir.. I wish I could run it longer! But hopeful by the end of the week I can have things in place to do that.

15. Ryno5150

Ryno5150 Member

Truck:
    89 2WD reg cab, 85 4Runner
    Your swap is looking great. You are moving fast. Mine is gonna take forever.
    How many miles on that donor engine? I'm just like you- I can't drop a used engine in, so I'll be overhauling my 1UZ also. I probably missed it, but what engine mounts are you using?
    Welcome to the Toyota truck world. Just don't end up like me. I need to join a 12 step program for my addiction to pickups/4Runners/Landcruisers

Mr.Mini_4.0 likes this.
  16. Mr.Mini_4.0

Mr.Mini_4.0 Enthusiast

Your swap is looking great. You are moving fast. Mine is gonna take forever.
    How many miles on that donor engine? I'm just like you- I can't drop a used engine in, so I'll be overhauling my 1UZ also. I probably missed it, but what engine mounts are you using?
    Welcome to the Toyota truck world. Just don't end up like me. I need to join a 12 step program for my addiction to pickups/4Runners/Landcruisers[/QUOTE]

Haha, thanks man. It feels like I've been taking too long, but maybe its because I'm hands on everyday for the most part. The motor came with 160k on it. I intended to rebuild entire engine, But when I took it apart it was very clean. Bearings looked good. The last owner of the car luckily did a regular oil change. I had it cleaned and decked at the machine shop. I replaced the oil pan baffle/upper oil pan gasket, and lower oil pan gasket. I also replaced the rear main seal and crank seal. The heads are fully rebuild. It was also cleaned, and decked by a local machine shop. They checked the valve clearance and cam guides. Install new valve seals, replaced the head bolts and cam seals. In other words, the motor is ready for a very long walk.

I'm using the eBay motor mounts. And yea, you will have to do a minor mod to get it to fit perfect but it took care of figuring out that headache. Its starting to get the look I imagined and I know it's gonna be a beautiful truck upon completing everything. The only issue I'm having at the moment is figuring out why the clutch master isn't letting the clutch fluid through. I got a new master too.. I assumed it should work like a brake reservior/ fluid goes down as you pore to fill it but that isn't the case. I'll be modding and installing my radiator when I get it so I can confirm a good idle and all the close loop and make sure my fans kicks on when they supposed to. It has been a good amount of work I'd tell you that:)

17. Mr.Mini_4.0

Mr.Mini_4.0 Enthusiast

Just few updates guys. I haven't done much on my truck since I got it started. Been waiting on my radiator that came in last night and I did a bit of work today.
    [​IMG]
    I had to cut parts of the core support out to make a little more room to fit everything. I'm still having issues with the OEM radiator hoses which I want to use. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm waiting on an adaptor housing for my radiator fan and I'll complete the setup. I'm still having issues bleeding the clutch sadly. The clutch is way too soft that my clutch pedal doesn't return. I believe I just have that much air in there but I'll have a buddy come out to help me pump but that's another story. I'll keep you guys posted.

18. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    90 standard cab 2wd short bed
    Love seeing updates!
    Have you tried to close the hood with that radiator?

Mikerocosms likes this.
  19. Mr.Mini_4.0

Mr.Mini_4.0 Enthusiast

I actually haven't. It looks a lot taller in the picture then it is in person, I just noticed that:)

20. joeynational

joeynational Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 2WD
    nice work, looking good!

Mr.Mini_4.0 likes this.