My 1972 Gen2 build

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by jetas, Jan 11, 2016.

1. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Going to shoot for a 6.0 but the 5.3 will probably have to do just because of availability and price. I want to get a complete donor vehicle so I can pull EVERYTHING i need in order to go thru the BAR process and be able to go thru regular emissions testing

2. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Auctions like Copart will be your best bet.. finding like a wrecked 05-08 GTO or police G8.. if you want an aluminum block. Tahoes/burbans are a dime a dozen still so you should find something decent.

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Thats what i was thinking of looking at, a decent suburban on marketplace is going for over 3k. After parting it out i should be able to make a decent amount back. So an auction would be a better place to look

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Messed with the truck last week and decided to spray some brake cleaner around the base of the carb/adapters and wouldnt you know it, it was leaking.

Went to replace the gaskets earlier and realized 2 of the nuts were loose so that didnt help. I had the carb tuning all jacked up trying to compensate for the leak. It was running rich as hell and the idle screw was cranked way in. Made some adjustments and it has not ran this smooth in a very long time.

Should get better MPG now and hopefully it wont smell as bad from burning all the excess fuel and oil

Erwin Merida likes this.
  5. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Sometimes, it the littles thing.. at least you found it! Someone else might of rebuilt the carb and never noticed it was just a leak.

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Na man, im the idiot here lol. There was 2 loose nuts that i didnt know about because they were under the throttle cable bracket. Which is more than likely where my issue started, then after adding the MSD box and a bunch of other issues i overcompensated the carb tuning and it ran rich as hell but was probably just pouring gas into the intake

Erwin Merida likes this.
  7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Still gotta make some adjustments to the carb, but ive driven it a few times and i have to say it feels A LOT different and smoother. Idles nicer and doesnt smell as bad.

Going to start cleaning it up here pretty soon to get it ready for the Minitruck Revival show in LA on the 8th. Going to make a few small changes along with some maintenance in the next few weeks

Erwin Merida likes this.
  8. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Your going to do the cruise to Neptune's Net after the show?

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Didnt know there was a cruise afterwards. I'll be driving in that direction anyway, I live in Oxnard which aint far from Neptunes.