My 1972 Gen2 build

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by jetas, Jan 11, 2016.

1. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    It really does. The shifts are so much smoother and honestly 5th gear is SO much nicer

TRUCK ACTION likes this.
  2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Been tossing around the idea of body working the truck so i Went out to the back yard yesterday and dug out the spare parts i have. Realized im going to need a passenger side fender as the spare one i have is a 75+ not a 72-78. I'll get pics of the differences later.

pulled out the hammer and dolly and knocked out a few dents on the bed. Have a long way to go

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Not much progress going on. Im going to buy some steel and tubs this week to start framing out the bed floor. I'll attack the front end at a later date. Just want the bed done first.

had to change out the brake master cylinder a couple weeks ago. Only driven the truck once since then.

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Well i havent done much other than drive the truck the last few weeks. Im going to swap the W58 back in soon. Tired of the gearing of the W55. I'll just figure out whats going on with the rattling/vibrations. Because im still getting them with the 55 just at a different rpm than the 58.

still havent started on the bed floor either. Oh well

5. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Progress looks different at different stages. Gotta drive it to love it. What's your view on 58>55 other then a towing gear in the 55?

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    W58 feels a lot easier to drive. RPM drop between gears seemed to be a lot less and not to mention the highway rpm was a lot better. Acceleration felt quicker and smoother since i didnt feel like I either need more RPM or upshift to speed up. It does feel more car like and really does fit the truck better for my use

Erwin Merida likes this.
  7. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Does your truck have the 4.3 rear diff gearing or did you swap to something in the 3.xx ratio?

8. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Engine tag says it should be 4.11 or 4.10.

drove it yesterday, at 60 it was at 3k RPM, tires are 24" tall. Just to give an idea. Shits TERRIBLE,

9. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Yeah that’s terrible. That’s why I thought you changed gear ratios. One reason I don’t take mine on the highway much either. But I have 4.3 gears according to the door sticker and the RPMs are definitely up there.

10. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Changing the trans is something i have tools and knowledge to do. Last time i messed with a diff i fucked it up lol

11. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Got the trans out and just swapped over the shift selector. Waiting on the FIPG to set before putting it in.

Also ordered another reverse light switch since i fucked up my old one.

Going to take the driveshaft to the shop soon too to get it rebalanced, swapped the u-joints years ago and its been noisy as fck since. Hopefully that solves my issue.

Im going to try to fabricate some bed extensions for the odd short sections behind the cab. And going to shave the License plate opening on the roll pan since i relocated the plate.

Shooting to get all this done before the Minitruck Revival Neptunes Cruise later this month

12. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Hit a major roadblock. Got a call from the driveshaft shop and its all shot. The holes for the u joint caps are worn out, apparently that was part of my issue.

New driveshaft is going to be more than i want to spend on a temporary situation. Going to post some stuff for sale soon. Need to pull some $$ for the next phase.

13. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I picked up that driveshaft from the shop. Decided to buy some u joints at autozone just to be able to drive the truck under its own power if need be.

When i installed them they pressed in fairly well and I've decided to just get the driveshaft balanced which I'm going to do this week. Truck ain't dead yet and the next phase will still be in the works just going on in the background as it's going to be long and drawn out and expensive

14. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Jacked the truck up to pull the driveshaft easier. Saw the big ugly space the license plate used to take up and decided to finally work on filling it in.

cut some 18ga i have laying around, bent up the bottom edge to roughly match and tacked it in. I'll finish welding it in later on. For now the space is filled.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dan McBoost and vandall like this.
  15. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Picked up the driveshaft from the shop yesterday. The owner let me know that the driveshaft ears on the back end definitely were a little looser than they should be and he had to work them to close up. Got it balanced.

Got home threw it in the truck and took it around the block and man did it make a huge difference. Between the W58 being a much better fit for the truck and the driveline not causing any other vibrations it felt so much better and comfortable driving it.

i di have a new rattle now that i didnt have before that i need to track down but for now everything is good

16. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Drove the truck out yesterday to the Minitruck Revival Neptunes Net cruise. Didnt do the whole cruise with everyone just met up at the last spot they hit. Truck did good with the W58 and driveshaft repair, even my wife said it felt better on the highway portion we had to drive.

Didnt take many pictures, and my introverted way of being took over and i didnt socialize much. oh well

Dan McBoost likes this.
  17. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Engine/trans/ignition and bunch of other stuff up for sale. Posted it up here and a few other places

Dan McBoost likes this.
  18. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    So what's the plan for new heart transplant?

jetas likes this.
  19. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Shifting focus after all. I have a 5.3 i was going to shove in this thing BUT after a lot of thinking and math-ing im going to sell it and just run it as is for a while.

going to focus more on V8 swapping my OBS so i can eventually tow the Hilux to events. When that time comes i'll more than likely rebuild and swap the 4.3 into the Hilux. Smaller package to fit and realistically 200-300hp will be plenty plus that engine will carry the sentimental value

Erwin Merida likes this.
  20. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    5.3 the obs!