My 1972 Gen2 build

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by jetas, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Always trust your gut. ;)

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    For the price i shouldve taken the risk but i honestly dont have the $$ to take a chance like that. So for now looks like the 20R is getting rebuilt.

The deadline I gave myself for ToyotaFest isnt guna happen. Had $ saved for the rebuild and sadly the government has taken some from me now. I wana drive it by August for my Bday but we will see.

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Well.... I went back and picked up that 22R. Came up on the brake booster and MC too. Took the section of exhaust after the header too.

Also met up with some other guy and picked up a used LCE 9lb aluminum flywheel. Needs the a new wear pad but for $40 i couldnt pass it up seeing as i was already out there.

Gotta get everything checked and make sure its all good so i can build up hybrid.

Id post pics but we all know what a these parts look like lol.

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Alright so i dug into the 22R a bit today and i made a nice discovery. The guide on the driver side if the engine is non existent, and theres a bit of this that went on in there...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so new timing cover and timing chain is in order. I want to do the double row chain should i just get the 20R timing set and steel guides to go with the 20R head?

Also i saw this and it looked a bit out of place. Its the rear freeze plug on the passenger side of the block. Is it factory?
    [​IMG]

5. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Man, I wish I could find a light weight flywheel for cheap! great find. The freeze plug, I do not think it is OEM.

6. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Freeze plug could be factory but likely not as the heat tab that's on it says it likely has been to a machine shop before..

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Dude as soon as i saw the ad in CL i hit guy up right away. Might have been like 6:30 in the AM lol.

I guess the good thing is that i got the complete engine for cheap so rebuilding it hopefully wont be too much of a bitch on my wallet.

You guys think a regular rebuild on the block and 20R head would still make the butt dyno happy? Not looking for loads of power just enough so the truck can get out of its own way on the freeway

8. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Calculate your compression and get the block and head shaved to be about 10:1 compression (shouldn't cost more then a regular surfacing). Gasket match and smooth ports as well. Have 22r valves put in the head (shouldn't be any more than the cost of a valve grind..)

There's a few little things that can pretty easily be done.

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I was honestly thinking of just putting the double row t chain in along with the 22R rocker arms and the 22R 4-2-1 factory manifold and piping and just a basic rebuild and call it a day. I already have a 32/36 and electric pump.

10. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    So i had some time earlier today and a buddy gave me a hand and we basically tore apart both engines.

22R had a broken timing chain guide and the chain ate at the timing cover a bit but apparently didnt go all the way through. Somehow coolant still mixed with the oil. At this point im hoping it was a gasket and not a craked block.

20R had some rod knock when i got it to run. Pulled the head off, and pushed down on the pistons. #3 had a good amount of up and down play when it shouldnt. We pulled the piston and found this 2 broken rings and part of the bearings
    [​IMG]

Got to get some time to take it to the machine shop to get the work done.

11. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    You could aways do just the 22r, then on the side as you get time work on the 20r head and swap it later.. I planned on it with my truck but ended up selling my truck before the head got done..

12. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    This is very true. I hadnt thought about doing that lol. Main reason why i wana do it all now is because if i dont il forget or il get lazy and never do it.

13. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Went back and checked out the 22R head gasket and saw a couple of the sections of gasket around #3 and #4 were eaten away. Im not the smartest guy but im thinking this is where shit went left haha.

Heres a pic of the gasket and the spot where it would sit on the block(dont mind the rag inside the cylinder, i oiled it and threw the rag in there for good measure
    [​IMG]

14. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Small update

Got parts in this week. Timing set, water and oil pump, head bolts, freeze plugs and OEM head gasket. I was able to get everything together between tuesday and wednesday (got sent home from work, fell off the damn forklift)

Im also waiting to hear back from LCE, i ordered a replacement wear pad for the 9lb flywheel i bought and the damn thing doesnt sit like it should so were trying to determine which part is the problem.
    [​IMG]

Next up:
    --Flip engine on the stand and mount up the oil pan.
    --Bolt motor mounts back on and test fit engine hopefully the rear sump of the oul pan clears the steering linkage.
    --order new motor mounts and clutch
    --hopefully get an answer from LCE

15. Sk1dmark

Sk1dmark Enthusiast

Truck:
    1977 Toyota Pickup, (SOLD) 1974 Hilux
    I hope there's at least a funny story to go along with that haha

16. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Lol. I made the mistake of parking our stand up lift too close to another pallet. I went to to step off the lift, tripped on the pallet and ended up going over it. The crate itself was over 2ft tall and i managed to go over just one of the corners. Luckily i didnt end up ontop of the skid haha.

Only funny thing i can think of was that they gave me an injection on my ass.

17. Sk1dmark

Sk1dmark Enthusiast

Truck:
    1977 Toyota Pickup, (SOLD) 1974 Hilux
    Damn dude, one fall and they're hitting you with some roids! Haha well glad you're okay

18. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Lol thanks bro

19. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    So i went to drop the motor in earlier and im at a standstill.

I took the brackets that bolt to the block from the 20R and bolted em to the 22R. Passenger side got down down far enough toget bolted down but the driver side was about 3/4" to an inch from the bolt holes. Do i need to shoehorn in this bitch in to place?

Motor mounts themselves are new aswell

20. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Got the engine in today. I had to flip the rubber mounts upside down and cut the alternator bracket so the motor mount bracket bolter closer to the block.

Now i just need a clutch fork and il throw the trans on and see where i need to cut the xmember.