Mikero's 90 Yota

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Mikerocosms, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Here is a little something I've been wanting to do for the longest time.

[​IMG]

Top piece and speaker pod are from 95 Tacoma. Armrest is from a 4runner but really you can get all from a Tacoma as they also use that armrest. I wanted to keep my vinyl door panel card (I'm not into fabric types like on a 4runner). Will post more pics as I get further along in the process.

2. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Made some progress on my door cards. I was able to use the armrest/control panel to cover up my old window crank holes. Believe it or not but there is actually a squared out spot on the doors that seemed to be waiting for me to put a square hole in it for the left armrest screw. I'll post pics of that when I'm closer to finishing.

Anyhow here is the panel with speaker pod and armrest mounted.
    [​IMG]

The speaker pod allows for a 1" speaker ring to be mounted on the door. This allows you to install 6 1/2" speakers with plenty of clearance.
    [​IMG]

I used my handy 4" hole saw to allow for the magnet to fit through.
    [​IMG]

Here is the final shot of the speaker pod covering the newly mounted 1" speaker ring. Also my wiring is hanging down. I have created my own custom control switches that should look very factory. More pics later...
    [​IMG]

3. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    90 standard cab 2wd short bed
    I was wondering what you were going to do about the old window crank holes when i saw the truck.
    That looks so good. The lines on the door match up as if were meant to be there.

4. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    The lines aren't perfect but they are super close. There is about an 1/8" where the original door panel sticks out in the middle of the Tacoma pod and then at the top corner the pod sticks out about the same. It doesn't affect anything though and when the doors are closed you can't even see it. On top of that since the color matches nothing really looks out of the ordinary. It's basically a win win all the way around.

Update:

The wiring has been taking me quite longer than I had initially thought. My original idea for wiring the power locks has been scrapped and put on the back burner. It didn't work the way I thought it would. I may have to run my jumpers to the relays from the alarm. But I'll research my original alarm wiring and make sure of that later.

The armrest lights and power windows are looking promising. I've been working on the passenger side and now I'm on the master control switches on the driver side. I'll probably be testing points tomorrow and hopefully completely wired by the afternoon. Oh and I forgot I'll also have the power mirrors wired up too.

5. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Finally Finished

This took a lot more time than I first anticipated. Most of it was wire routing and part placement. Actually it was on the verge of being a pain in the ass to do. I had to rework the armrest panels to be able to fit the aftermarket switches on there. I also used a pair of mercury cougar lock buttons. The wiring can be difficult I just wrote everything down and made sure I had it next to me when I was wiring.

Anyhow here is the final result. I'm still waiting on a pair of gray push on clips for the end of the top panel.

[​IMG]

Here is a closeup of the switches.
    [​IMG]

There are two window switches on the driver side. Just like a normal power windowed ride. You can operate both windows from the master control driver side. Here is the wiring diagram on how to do that.

[​IMG]

So now I've got power windows, power locks, and power mirrors.

Phew!

KERTWOOD likes this.
  6. LilRed93

LilRed93 Addict

Truck:
    1993 Pickup
    Damn your doin some good work man. Everything looks factory. Keep it up! It's too bad our trucks didn't already come with this stuff stock. I think I need power everything in my life lol. :waytogo:

7. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Thanks buddy. This took about a week longer than I wanted it to take. But I just drove it today and with everything working it's real nice.

8. silverblazer50

silverblazer50 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1994 reg cab
    Looks great!!

9. Jon Widmer

Jon Widmer Member

Truck:
    94 2wd Reg Cab
    Really nice work and upgrading going on in here!! Those door panels are awesome! Power everything, that's beautiful!

How come you did a transmission swap? Is there a benefit using that w58 transmission? I'm stil learning about our trucks and have never read about this trans swap.

10. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    I did it mainly because I wanted to have a 5 speed tranny. My truck only came with a 4 speed. Whenever I was on the highway at 75mph it sounded like I needed to go into fifth. I also never did a tranny swap on anything before so I figured it would be a learning experience.

So I looked for the best swap around and for our trucks that is probably the W58. You can read all about the different trannys Toyota had on different vehicles from the early 70s to the mid 90s here.

11. Jon Widmer

Jon Widmer Member

Truck:
    94 2wd Reg Cab
    Cool, thanks for the info!

12. DionTDE

DionTDE Addict

Truck:
    93 single cab 2wd
    Your truck looks a lot like mine!

2 Years ago

[​IMG]

1 Year ago

[​IMG]

This year

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    yotaman95 and Mr.Mini_4.0 like this.
  13. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Haha! Yeah it does. I don't plan on ever going quite that low. Although it is nice to see what it might look like.

14. DionTDE

DionTDE Addict

Truck:
    93 single cab 2wd
    Yeah i actually didnt plan on it either, I intended to stay static but it is addicting. Once it was bagged i told myself i wasnt going to body drop it either and that only lasted a few months until i parked next to the same truck body dropped.

15. REDZ

REDZ Enthusiast

like how you have a diagram showing how to do the power window setup do you by chance have a diagram outlining the power mirror setup? btw did you run them both through relays?

16. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Thanks. Actually the mirror setup was way easier. No relays required. All you need is the power mirror control and preferably the pigtail that plugged into it. I have a spare one on my desk at work. There are 7 wires if I remember correctly, one is 12v ignition power and another ground. The 5 others are the mirror control wires.

Most mirrors use 3 wires to control their actions. On the control the 5 wires work like this: 2 go to the left side the other 2 to the right and the last wire is shared so you have to Y it and send it to both left and right. That's your 3 wires per side. Then just experiment with the connections until the controller moves it correctly. No worries on the experimenting because it won't short. You can use basically any mirror you can fit on your truck as long as it uses a 3 wire connection.

I'll post pics of the control up tomorrow and provide an easier to understand map if I get a chance.

17. REDZ

REDZ Enthusiast

thanks man i'll look forward to it :waytogo:

18. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    This is the pigtail connected to the the actual switch. You will have to run wires from these to your mirrors.

Grey is 12v power (They recommend radio tap)
    White w/black stripe is ground.

Green w/red stripe is right mirror
    Green w/black stripe is right mirror

Solid Green needs to be split to both mirrors (the Y I mentioned before)

Pink w/green strip is left mirror
    Pink is left mirror

Thats all there is too it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. REDZ

REDZ Enthusiast

sweet... now for me to get the mirrors .. btw u ran the powered windows through a relay rite

20. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Nope, no need. I have them wired as stated above, with the five pin momentary switches that I linked to above as well.