Lowering Truck Norris

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by SteveWippins, Jan 22, 2024.

1. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Some yards have an inventory list online of what is in yard.. might come in handy I stead of running around different yards for nothing. Food for thought.

MrDinkleman and SteveWippins like this.
  2. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    We have another, larger place in my area that also has a second location in Alabama, and unfortunately their website only shows the inventory for the Alabama location.

3. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    Decided to post pics of the seats since I'm not sure on a center compartment/console yet. I know they're filthy and need to be cleaned, just haven't been able to get to it yet. I've heard that a steam cleaner would probably do a good job, anyone ever cleaned some cloth seats that were this dirty before?
    Also I have to say, these seats change the truck tremendously. My bench seat hasn't had the back support brackets for years as they were cut off with a grinder to make room for 12" subs back in the day. The driver seat fits me almost perfectly. This plus the Nitro Drop 2 shocks and new ball joints makes cornering in this thing fun! Something I never really thought possible.
    The bolt behind the seat in the first picture is just a spare lol no need to panic.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  4. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    They look period correct. I have the same, but still in the MR2. A steam cleaner can help you here but be ready to clean to whole seat.. since water runs, you'll be pushing the dirt as opposed to lifting the dirt. I'd use something with a vac attachment after agitating it with 3D's upholstery shampoo or similar. You ever think of changing the colors? I've seen it done.. nd the hilarious part is the were corduroy brown!! Hahaha matching carpet

:ROFL:

5. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    The fact that they came out of one 80s toyota and went into another makes me super happy. I've considered a steam cleaner, not sure what else i would use. Just hope it actually makes a big enough difference cause these things are filthy :lol:

6. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    Cut about half of the bump stops off yesterday, and DAMN what a difference it made. I should've done it the same day the truck was officially lowered. I have a few rough bumps on the way to work and back, and now that the rear axle isn't slamming into the bump stops, it's actually a pretty comfortable ride! Especially with the new seats. I also did some cleaning on them yesterday and there's already a noticeable difference, but I'm not done with them yet.

7. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    is that the rear bump stops you cut down?

8. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    Yeah, the rears

9. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I haven't removed my bump stops, but cut them down. I recently ordere some Energy Suspension rear bump stops that have a shallower profile, but similar bolt pattern. I'll let ya know how it goes.

SteveWippins likes this.
  10. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    Talking to the paint/body guy and the service manager at work about having the truck repainted.
    Definitely keep me posted. I cut my rears down to about half of the original height with a sawzall lol

11. Justin Danger

Truck:
    check out my newest post on my build thread 'Betsy', I installed the bump stops today

SteveWippins likes this.
  12. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    Will do!

13. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    Here's how the seats look after 1 full can of Meguiar's Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner (probably gonna need another can or 2)

Also added a little more of my personal taste to the truck, front tag that imitates a Japanese temporary tag, and stickers on the back glass. After all, each sticker adds 5 horsepower, right?!

Erwin Merida likes this.
  14. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Hahaha

Btw, how are you liking those headlights?

15. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Those seats are looking real good.. you can't really see any stains left in the picture.. almost looks like you used a carpet/upholstery cleaning machine.

SteveWippins likes this.
  16. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    I'm honestly LOVING these headlights! They look goofy as hell to me still, but ultimately it's more about being able to see at night and they're way brighter than the sealed headlights these trucks come with. I had to use an adapter harness to make them work but it was easy enough, and well worth it IMO.

17. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    Thanks! They definitely look way better than they did, but I'm not quite done with them yet. I vacuumed them, then brushed/scrubbed them to release more of the dirt, vacuumed again, then finally hit them with the Meguiar's

Erwin Merida likes this.
  18. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    You're making me want to clean mine!

19. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    Bro, give the Meguiars a try!
    This is where I got the idea from

Erwin Merida likes this.
  20. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    Little interior update: I got a DragonBall shift knob (cause I'm a nerd so why not) and the size of it feels so much better in my hand than the OEM knob. Got a 300mm blue tinted Broadway mirror which makes a world of difference at night since I'm lowered now, and Also got a NRG hub adapter for quick releases. Not the standard short hub adapter, this is essentially the half of the quick release that would stay attached to the short hub but it goes directly on the spline, so you do need a quick release to complete it. It's a hell of a lot more shallow/short? compared to using a short hub adapter plus a quick release. Luckily I have a NRG quick release in my 04 Accord, so I took it from the car and put it in the truck. Threw on an old, and sadly cracked :( Viilante wheel i had lying around to test everything out. Planning on buying another wheel to replace this old POS, any recommendations? Part # for the NRG quick release/hub adapter I'm using is SRK-RL120H-BK.

Also, the obligatory gas station pic, cause why not :waytogo:

Erwin Merida likes this.