Lowering Truck Norris

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by SteveWippins, Jan 22, 2024.

1. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    Erwin Merida likes this.
  2. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    oh, I like those wheels. See a lot of em on old school hot rod trucks, it'll be cool to see em on a yota.

SteveWippins likes this.
  3. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    Thanks man. Had to get some special lug nuts for them since my studs were basically flush with the holes in the wheels.
    https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...tive-truck-1988-toyota-pickup?q=611-184&pos=0

$4 per lug nut really hurts, but i got a good deal on the wheels so it's okay i guess :lol:
    Also found a youtube video of someone sanding and polishing these same wheels, and i may do the same to make them look way better.

4. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Ummmmm....

I hope you didn't get the exact lugs the link took me to. The shanks are too long for standard thickness alloy wheels. The shanks should only be 0.8", not 1-3/8". Unless, of course, your wheel hubs are 1.5" thick.

Or, I BELIEVE those extra long shanks lugs are for use with wheel spacers....

5. Packmule

Packmule Member

Truck:
    91 Toyota 1 ton Dually
    Nice truck. Love the aluminum slots! Used to run those back in the day! Fatties on the back and pizza cutters on the front!

SteveWippins likes this.
  6. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    I'm no wheel expert (or mechanic for that matter) but i'm a little confused. The issue im having is that the studs dont actually stick out through the holes that the studs go into. I got these lug nuts, with washers of course, that are M12x1.5 which is the correct thread pattern for our truck. I didn't measure them, but surely the studs are longer than 1 3/8". So are you saying there is an issue with threading the lug nuts 1 3/8" onto the stud? 0.8" is 12.8/16 if i'm doing my math right. So if we round that up to 13/16, we're left with a difference of 9/16". Is that much more threading going to cause a problem?

7. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    Thanks man! I really think they're going to look awesome.

8. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    Upon further investigation, aka lots of googling, it looks like I was wrong :lol:
    I went ahead and ordered 20 of these and will be returning the others tomorrow :duh:
    https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/.../v/a/8164/automotive-truck-1988-toyota-pickup

9. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Sounds like you figured things out but just to clarify:

The 13/16" spec refers to the socket size used to tighten the lugnut not the length of the shank.

The issue is not how long the stud is but how thick the wheel hub is. Assuming your wheels are standard vintage cast aluminum slotted dish mags, the wheel centers are only about .5" ~.7" thick. A lugnut with a 1-3/8" shank will bottom against the hub and not against the wheel. So the wheel wouldn't have been torqued down. At all.

Finally, the fact that the stud is almost flush with wheel face is not an issue. The shank part of shanked lugnuts is threaded and that is what holds the wheel on. So there is about 3/4" of thread holding the wheel on.

SteveWippins likes this.
  10. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    That makes sense. I just retruned the 1 3/8" shank lug nuts, and got 20 of the ones with the 3/4" shank. Gonna get the tires swapped over, new valve stems, and have them balanced thursday morning. I'll post pics when it's all done.

11. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    Erwin Merida likes this.
  12. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    wow, those do look great, much better offset. What is the profile on those tires?

SteveWippins likes this.
  13. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    Thanks! I fully agree. They are 185/60

14. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    These wheels remind me of a late 60s early 70s Econoline for some reason.. haha @Justin Danger is right tho, offset is much better. My favorite feature on those aw11 seats are the head rest slinky like pillars! Super retro!

SteveWippins likes this.
  15. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    Right!! I'm really glad i still have them, seats from an 80s Toyota going in another 80s Toyota. Granted, i got them from a junk yard probably 10 years ago and they went straight to an attic where they sat until two days ago so they need to be cleaned BAD. But other than that they're in great shape

16. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    Erwin Merida likes this.
  17. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Most likely going to find them on some other seats.. you'll want them since they adjust the sides and lumbar areas. Good way to recycle/repurpose car parts!

SteveWippins likes this.
  18. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    I may have to hit up the local junk yards on my off-day and keep my fingers crossed :lol:

19. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    So, I got the MR2 seats in last night, but i'm hesitant on posting pics because I have an idea for a center console. Not sure if it will work yet though. Doubling down on the idea of hitting up the junk yards now.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  20. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    No luck at the junk yard today, but i still had a blast wandering around and looking. It's been years since I've done that. Found something online that I think will work perfectly, but I'm struggling to find dimensions.