Lowering the 93

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by 93Yoter, Dec 13, 2006.

1. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    I knew it :). When I ordered my bumper grill valance combo with billet inserts they sent me the frontend for a 93 4 runner instead of a 2wd pickup lol of course I realized this after I took off all my old crap back when my yoter was my daily driver.

2. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
    '94 single cab, 22re, 5spd
    so how did the 4runner bumper/valance look with the 2wd fenders? did it stick out like crazy on the sides or was it not really that noticable?

3. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    Actually it won't fit with out some cutting and stuff You have to have the 4wd/4runner hood, fenders, corner lenses. Personally I like the 2wd front ends better plus everyone is doing the 4wd frontend conversion these days.

4. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
    '94 single cab, 22re, 5spd
    why do you have to have the 4runner hood and fenders for the bumper to fit?

5. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
  6. DOGO X

DOGO X Member

Truck:
    05 Xrunner
    Nice truck Robert!

7. limon

limon Newbie

Truck:
    90 toyota pickup, singlecab,22re 5speed.

8. limon

limon Newbie

Truck:
    i've read obut lowering your yota.

i know how its all done but never done it. i bougth my yota low already so i've never done it. I help to drop a tacoma though.

i don't like how my yota looks though i took the bump stops cus they were in the way but its still to high, its on 4" blocks. i want to get it even lower:confused: .

9. SickYota 808

SickYota 808 Newbie

Truck:
    89 single-cab
    with the 4" block did u pull the middle leaf spring?? if not do that and it would lower it an 1' more, if u want it even lower, dearch your stock leafs and put a smaller block u might have to notch the frame a lil because the rear will hit the frame.

10. limon

limon Newbie

Truck:
    i thought about that. i want to do this but i don't have the tools n don't know how.

11. 3In2Out

3In2Out Newbie

Truck:
    92' Toyota Pickup
    FYI, you dont have to have a 4runner hood to use the bumper. The 4wd fenders and corners lights are the same on the 4x4 trucks and the 4Runner, so you have to have those if you want to run the whole setup with grill and headlights. Doing so with the pickup core support requires a bit of cutting, but nothing to major. The 4Runner bumper and valance can be used with different bumper brackets or modifying your pickup ones, you dont need the fenders/corner lights and such to run it, though the bumper sticks out a bit further in comparison to the 4wd fenders and the 2wd fenders.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  12. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    I agree with 3in3out one the conversion.
    But back to the lowering thing.

I lowered my 94 xtracab using 2" drop spindles and 3" leaf packs in the rear, toxic shocks and Sway-a-way torsion bars. I also installed Energy Suspension urethane bushings all around. I was not ready to go full slam and wanted great handling.
    [​IMG]

The alignment issues were nil with the 2" drop spindles, I did adjust the toe in/out with a tape measure (gasp!). You want about 1/8" in. The camber and castor did not change with this setup because I didn't crank the bars down. I went with the slightly stiffer torsion bars to eliminate the bit of nose dive under severe braking (with upgraded brakes) and to help with the slight body roll in a hard corner.
    In the rear, I ended up notching the rails to end the occasional E.S.S.(ejector seat syndrom).
    It rides and handles great.

13. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    Well lowering has now been put to the back burner somewhat. I've decided to do a conversion to independent rear suspension from a supra and attempt to use the front suspension as well. Basically I'm going to need the braking power and handling setup this will provide due to the engine swap I'm planning. I also may do some competetion when the truck is complete.

14. moneyhungry

moneyhungry Enthusiast

Truck:
    93 Yoda.
    do you have any pics of your truck from the side? i am wanting to paint my truck that color and need to photochop a pic so i know what im looking at with wheels and what not. its dropped 2/3, right?

15. moneyhungry

moneyhungry Enthusiast

Truck:
    93 Yoda.
    and is there a write up on how to do a spindle install? it only drops it 2" right? how would i be able to go lower, turn the t-bars?

16. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    93yoter, I think the suspension swap would be cool, but the hard part will be finding springs that are the right spring rate for the weight of the pickup (especially the rears). I converted to the four piston caliper from a 4wd pickup/4runner and a 12.1" wilwood rotor. Wow what a difference. I can put my passenger through the windshield if they aren't ready for a panic stop.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The second pic is of the final install minus hooking up the new stainless lines. You can see the size difference between the stock ond new calipers. The only reason I used the toyota calipers and not a set of wilwoods was the minor cost difference, and the fact that these are Toyota. I would have had to fabricate caliper stands for either.

Moneyhungry, I will try to get that pic today. And yes it's a 2/3. I'll see if I can find an install on it, but it is relatively simple.

17. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    That will be difficult but I've heard of a few trucks with irs but I've never actually seen one with supra irs. There are a ton of parts for supras though so I'm sure I can find some eventually even though the truck is lighter. I really like the brake setup you have but I think I will try the supra stuff first then use a big brake kit. I noticed you have a 1jz in your truck. How do you like it? How easy was the engine swap? Pics???? I'm either swapping to the
    7mgte or the 1uzfe but I would love to do a 2jz but length is a big issue so I would love to see the 1jz. Oh and what does it run in the 1/4.

18. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Actually, I apologize. My label is a bit premature. I have helped with the swap on another truck. But my 1jz is still sitting on a pallet in the garage.:(

I'm about ready to perform it myself. I've read that the 7m is about 3" shorter in length, but I can't verify that. On the other project, It was a 2jz, and in order to fit the engine, you have to lower the engine in the bay and slide it back a bit. We also used a side mount intercooler and a pusher fan from the front of the radiator, which required removing the hood latch mechanism and using hood pins instead.
    I also know that the stock engine mounts from the 22re can be used, although they have to be moved and modified. Rather than using the supra radiator, I plan to use the 3 core 4wd 3vze radiator. That will facilitate leaving the battery in the stock location.

19. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    the jz series are 3 inches longer than the 7mgte. I'll probally end up doing the 7mgte into my truck now since I plan on buying a salvaged supra so I can get the irs, engine, tranny, electronics, and seats. Buying a 93-98 supra is out of the question so I'm going with the previous generation. Plus the 7mgte is very very easy to work on and still get excellent gas mileage plus there is a ton of aftermarket parts for the engine and for very cheap can put out 400-500 hp which is plenty for this truck. I'm also going to use the 3vse radiator for mine and will probally run dual 10" pusher fans with the intercooler mounted either infront of the radiator, fabing one and putting it behind the bumper, or putting it where the little front plastic skid plate is. Since I'm working on my mechanical engineering degree I have access to just about every machine I could ever want and I can run AutoCAD very well so hopefully I'll be able to use this for my senior project as well but i'll see. If you want a good site to check stuff out look at supracharged.com

20. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Yes, he's on my favorites list.:)