lowering 4wd frame questions

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by JLC, Apr 15, 2013.

1. raylcc

raylcc Addict

Truck:
    89 Regular Cab. The weirdo with the stock suspension.
    LoL! True. So very true. :waytogo:

2. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    So after seeing all the know it alls and hating on the whole concept I am going to chime in on this. First off, the idea is a great idea. I'm not sure how much power the stock IFS can take, but in supras they beat the rear diff with 400-500 HP and they hold for quite some time. So I would assume the front diff can take it. The CVs I don't know. I have thought about doing this same concept, but if I did it I would start with a 90-95 4runner. They have a rear 4 link, which at a lower stance may need the upper bars lengthened since they're so short. All other 4wds would be leafs and thats a no brainer to drop. One way to drop the truck would be to do a mild body drop. Without cutting anything, you can probably put slimmer body mounts and drop atleast 1/2" or more. I say keep up with the concept, and stray away from the super expensive all toyota parts concept. Most of what you need isn't easily available, and it will all need EFI to run instead of a simple carb like the chevy.

3. JLC

JLC Member

Truck:
    90 Std. Cab short bed (T-Bag)
    Well thank you for chiming in. And all you said has crossed my mind I dont know how many times.

Im reviving an old thread. I tend to not log on as much as I use to. Sorry.

I have collected almost all parts necessary for the swap however plans changed I am now putting the ls1 in with a bellhousing swap kit for the r150f and stock tcase. (If someone dont know the strength of the r150, research) and lsd in front 7.5" and lsd in rear 8" 4:10 gear ratio disc brake conversion on rear axle slicks on all 4 corners. As for the engine its ls6 intake ls9 cam and valvetrain ported 5.3 heads and modded 302 long tube headers (ls1 flange) and 39lb/hr fuel injectors.
    as for the megasquirt its ms2 v3.0 with daughter board.
    And nitrous plate system 100hp shot to start then potentially up to 200hp shot if I feel comforrtable with it.
    Na should be about 420ish hp then plus nitrous....
    that will be the true test to the running gear of the truck lol.

Just waiting to order custom pilot bearing and pilot spacer and different flywheel.

4. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Parts are going to scatter if you bang gears on that r150. A friend built a healthy 383 and the trans survived very well until he power shifted into 2nd and then it was all over for that trans. :lol: The front diff is going to scatter early too. It is a low pinion design so going forward it's running on the coast side of the ring gear not the drive side that has the strength.

But hey, it's your money so if you want to lower a 4x4 and go play on the street then by all means get on it.

5. JLC

JLC Member

Truck:
    90 Std. Cab short bed (T-Bag)
    Ive been worried about the front diff but I have a spare so long as the wreckage only stays in the housing lol. As far as the r150 if it goes south I have a th400 and np205 tcase in the back yard. To replaece it. The 4x4 guys on pirate have had good luck with the the r150 so ill give it a shot. Im into my build only about 800.00 total price and bought the truck with no motor for 600.00 so not too bad

However the toyota 8" has def surprised me handling over 400hp on supra lsd with no probs so far 3years running in my 2wd. Knock on wood so if the front holds up like the rear has ill be very shocked

6. NashMan

NashMan Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 2wd
    r150 is a good strong trans it just like its famous brother r154

just need to replace the trust washer with marlin one