Just bought a 1987 truck...have a couple of issues...

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by PhastPhil, Feb 13, 2010.

1. PhastPhil

PhastPhil Member

All,

I posted up in the introduce yourself thread. I have a 87 carb'd 22R. I just bought it off a guy last week. Overall a good little truck but it does have a few issues. I am systematically trying to go through the forum and track down/correct the problems.

The problems are intermittent...

Fast idle. Sometimes it idles fine and purrs like a kitten. On occassion it idles way too high. Today I got the fast idle along with the e-brake light staying on and the charge light staying on.

Dieseling after shutdown. Sometimes it does it. Most of the time it runs fine.

Those are my two main concerns as they affect driveability.

I am going to check the plug gaps. I put on new wires. The distributor is supposedly a new unit per the PO. There is no lack of power and it does not stutter or run rough so I dont think it is the timing. I could be wrong.

I dont think it is the idle/fast idle settings. When it runs right, like it does 85% of the time...everything is golden.

I am going to go through and replace all the vacuum lines and t-fittings.

I am going to test the idle fuel cut solenoid today.

I am going to go through and check all electrical connectors and apply dielectric grease.

Sooooo...outside of those things. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Could the choke solenoid/setup be sticking on occasion?

When I had the fast idle today, I went under hood and manually returned the accelerator to the closed position which brought the idle down. If I released it, it idled back up. After fidgeting a few times the idle stayed low (maybe just a little high) but the charge light remained on.

Finally, in a perfect world, there would be a Toyota Truck Guru that lives somewhere near the Monterey Peninsula and works for the love of teaching others, works for beer, or at least within my limited budget.

Alot to ask I know. Anyway, thanks in advance and thanks again to those that replied over on my intro post.

Phil

2. PhastPhil

PhastPhil Member

Anyone? I just read through everything I can about idle issues. I am at a loss. Please post up if you have any ideas...

3. theghiaisred

theghiaisred Newbie

Truck:
    87 RN50 2wd 22r, 87 4Runner 22re
    Save yourself piles of time money and agrevation. Put a weber 32/36 on those aisin carb are a bitch, you can't adjust it and everything about it is expensive. Remeber when timing the distributer to take the vacuum line off and plug it. On the brake light check the switch on the bottom of the e-brake handle and oil the **** out of the e-brake cable crank-arm assembly at the back of the cab. Charge light check belt tension, the 80 charge fuse, and the cable union on the drivers side fender well. Good luck.

4. PhastPhil

PhastPhil Member

Thanks for the reply! I will try all those things.

I actuated the switch at the bottom of the ebrake handle and all the light did was dim. It came on the exact same time as the charge light.

I will check the belt tension, the 80 charge fuse and the cable union.

Funny thing...I went to the salvage yard again and the truck was still idling high. At some point on the highway, on the way home, both lights went out and the high idle is gone.

Sounds electrical...

I hate intermittent problems.

Where is the best place to get the Weber and what should I expect to spend?

5. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    i seem to remember reading that whenever a yota's brake and charge light come on at the same time the alt isn't charging right.

also on my 79 20r i had a dead battery, i jumped it and it idled really funny, then i stuck the cables back on and it ran perfect.

i'd definitely say you have a wiring issue, or maybe just a loose/bad ground.

6. PhastPhil

PhastPhil Member

Dang I hate electrical! I am going to remove the wiring going to/from the alternator, clean it up and reinstall it. The belt tension is good. The alternator looks brand new but there is always the off chance it is a bad unit. The battery is from October 2009.

If push comes to shove I will pull the alternator off and have it checked.

The PO had an alarm installed on the truck...I am going to remove that and hopefully not screw anything up in the process.

I am also going to remove and reinstall the stereo the PO put in and do it properly. But there does seem to be a few other wires that I am not sure about, possibly related to the alarm, possibly related to the stereo.

Another question, I pulled the seat and vinyl flooring out of the truck to clean it out. I noticed it was a little damp underneath. It has been raining alot here. Is there any chance water was coming from underneath at the drain plugs or is it more likely to be coming from the top area somewhere?

I cleaned a ton of leaves out from under the cowl. I am worried that it could somehow leak down from around the windshield.

Does anyone have experience with that?

Also, still seeking a forum member that is a Yoda with Yotas in the Monterey, San Jose area!!!

7. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab

Brake and Charge IS Alternator.

You're looking at the belt, alternator itself, or some ground wire.

8. PhastPhil

PhastPhil Member

Thanks CinNAMmon.

The belt seems good.

When you say some ground wire...that could be any ground wire on the truck? This could take some time.

I guess it would be easiest first to pull the alternator and have it checked.

Funny thing is that the problem has not resurfaced since yesterday mid-day. I just made a run to the parts store and Home Depot and no problem.

I also didnt get the high idle today.

I pulled everything out of the floor of the cab and cleaned it today. I also installed SR5 bucket seats. In the process I found out the base truck doesnt have provisions for the SR5 seat belt receivers or the 4th seat bolt for both passenger and driver seat front inside mount near the transmission tunnel. A lock washer and nut from Home Depot should do the job. I mounted the seat belt receiver to the rear inside seat mount on top of the rails and torqued it really well. It seems like it will do the job in the event of an accident.

I installed a 85 SR5 grill as well.

I will do the SR5 steering wheel tomorrow and replace the blinker/wiper assembly since my left blinker doesnt really work. I have to pull the radio/ashtray/climate control panel and see if the wiring is there for the cigarette lighter and clock I got out of the SR5. At the same time I am going to rework the radio install the PO did. It is a hack job and the horn mysteriously stopped working about the time he put it in.

If I have time, the truck will get a full on polish/wax job. I think the truck will look damn good then.

Does anyone know if all trucks have provisions for the "holy crap" handle on the passenger side inside above the door? I took one from the SR5 and want to install it. Not that I plan on doing any drifting in the little truck...but it serves well to hang clothes from if need be.

All in all the truck is coming along well.

I did notice it was a little damp under the vinyl "carpet" when I removed it today. I am not sure where it came from. I am not thrilled with my windshield and the trim and I am wondering if water can get into the cab that way...

I want to go get a new windshield and trim installed as well as the rubber window track molding and the inside and outside rubber that mounts at the bottom of the door where the window goes down into.

Tomorrow I am going to sell the bench seat to a buddy and the topper as well I think. Then I am going to yank out the bed liner that is in there and see what I got going on underneath.

I wish I had a 4 day weekend every week. I actually get things done!

Again, thanks for the help!

9. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    I'm very unsure of what ground wires are where on the 1987's.
    plus yours is carb.

how's the connections on the back of the alternator?

10. PhastPhil

PhastPhil Member

I didnt take a real good look today but the red wire going to the alternator seems secure and the plug in wires at the back of the alternator (I think 2-3 wires coming from that) is secure. I am not sure if there are other wires going to the alternator or not.

I am going to double check all wires to the alternator tomorrow. Plus I will check every ground I lay eyes on.

Thanks again!

11. pig rig

pig rig Enthusiast

I was having the same problem with the alt and brake light and I checked my atl conection and it seemed fine but I had to pull my alt a few days later and part of the plug had broke off and wasnt letting the plug go in fare enough once I hooked it back up the lights went out and I havent had a problem sense

I have the fast idle problem also and I came up with the idea the choke linkage was wore out so I wired it open problem solved
    but I pulled apart one of the thermo switches that are in the intake right be hind the water neck and from what I'm understanding the operate the choke so once I get the new switch I'll un wire my carb and see if thats fixes it

12. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    any bad weatherstripping could let some water in the cab, especially the front/rear window.

i'm pretty sure they all have the holes for an oh **** handle, maybe just press in on the headliner, see if ya can feel the holes (assuming its pliable) :D

13. PhastPhil

PhastPhil Member

Cool deal. I will double check the alternator wiring tomorrow. The lights have since turned out and the truck runs fine now...so who knows what will happen.

Choke linkage...not sure what/where I need to wire it open to see if that solves the problem...and the thermo switch...that might be an idea. Again, the fast idle comes and goes. And today, the truck ran like a champ with no issues whatsoever.

Thanks for the tips and I will try them out as the problems re-emerge.

14. PhastPhil

PhastPhil Member

The door weatherstripping looks fine. The windshield not so much. I have a feeling it is the culprit. The truck has a topper on it right now so not thinking the rear window. And the place it was wet was toward the front of the driver/passenger floorboards. I looked at the trim around the windshield and it looks like it is on its last leg. Plus the windshield has a few star cracks and what not. I am going to have it replaced and see what problems, if any, lie underneath.

Thanks for the tips.

15. Reddawg007

Reddawg007 Member

Truck:
    88 Reg cab 22r
    I'm not to sure but you might want to see if your heater core might have went out. Me being a Dodge tech thats kinda what happens it will leak inside on the floor board. Might not be that but its a idea.

16. PhastPhil

PhastPhil Member

Thanks Reddawg. My coolant level isnt changing and I dont have that tell tale smell so I dont think it is that. But I will double check just the same.

Phil

17. SUNSETJOE

SUNSETJOE Enthusiast

Truck:
    81 SR5 longbed
    This particular generation of Toyota have very poor drainage in the cowl area. Water pools in the cowl area above the firewall and next to the fender on either side. After a while it rusts a hole right there and any water that gets in your cowl goes right to the floorboards. To fix this I pulled both front fenders and cut a hole on the side of the cowl, cleaned and welded the rust holes shut, seam sealed it, and primed and painted the openings that I cut into the cowl. Put the fenders back on and you're done.

18. SUNSETJOE

SUNSETJOE Enthusiast

Truck:
    81 SR5 longbed
    I had a idle problem when I first got mine. I discovered that the EGR passages were pretty clogged. I cleaned them out and it helped a lot. I ended up putting a Weber 32/36 on mine. Got it on Ebay for about $280 shipped.

19. PhastPhil

PhastPhil Member

Thanks for the replies man. My cowl had tons of leaves built up from years parked under a tree. I didnt have any rust that I could see when I pulled the cowl but I bet water could not escape freely and was overflowing into the cab. But I do have a small rust spot on the a-pillar driver's side that needs attention. I think I am going to have to fork over the ~$250 for the trim and get new glass/repair work around the front window. My trim is not easy on the eyes. Between getting the cowl area cleaned out and getting a new windshield/repair I am thinking I wont have any more issues.

I am going to run the stock carb a while longer. But if it gives me any issues I will can it for the Weber. The Weber is in my future one way or another...sooner or later.

20. pig rig

pig rig Enthusiast

I got that switch in today and it made a big differance
    before I had wired the choke open I could snap the throttle open several times befor it would kick down and thats after I had been running it for a while then after I had wired the choke it would idle radical at times or act as if it was going to die now it idles smooth and kicks down on its own

I got the switch from NAPA and it took some time to find the right one and that was after we had given up thr search and I went to the dealer and did some more hunting and got the toyota part #
    here's the part # for the NAPA one
    its from the IMC line and its fs8423

I hope that helps