In over my head since '89

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by VolksYota, May 14, 2015.

1. nottoshabi

nottoshabi Enthusiast

Damn Daniel. Lol I love how low that is. Do you have issues with the front wheel rubbing when you turn the wheel? Ever taught of doing suicide doors? I think it will definitely make this truck one of a kind.

2. VolksYota

VolksYota Member

Truck:
    89 pickup
    Thanks! It hasn't been mobile since lowering it this far (currently don't have a gas tank) and I plan on a whole new wheel and tire setup before it hits the road. But yeah, I expect some rubbing and probably some bending/cutting/massaging wheel well tabs and whatnot will be required to make sure i'm not slicing up tires. As for the doors, I have a popper kit and plan on just sticking with that if I can ever find enough room in the door for the solenoid.

3. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Rear looks better lowered now.

4. SOTS

SOTS Newbie

if you need a gas tank pm me i have one and im in new york i have the same truck.

5. VolksYota

VolksYota Member

Truck:
    89 pickup

Thanks, as long as my plan to turn the empty keg I have (pictured above) into my fuel tank I shouldn't need it. Plan is to have it mounted sideways in the bed

6. SOTS

SOTS Newbie

i like the sound of that, can't wait to see that. where in new york you from im building my 1jzgte almost done with it should be out in a month or so. maybe we can link up and go for a ride.

7. VolksYota

VolksYota Member

Truck:
    89 pickup
    Yeah I'm excited for it, thanks! I'm in buffalo

8. VolksYota

VolksYota Member

Truck:
    89 pickup
  9. VolksYota

VolksYota Member

Truck:
    89 pickup
    Finally got wheels and well it didn't quite go to plan. These are supposed to be 15x8 and my tape measure showed them to be 15x9 - i got some crap tires thrown them anyways :verdict_in: clearly the fronts won't work. they came from summit so I think the return /exchange should be no big deal. Im considering keeping the rears and getting different fronts, there are a few soft 8 options. So these are -29mm and other options are -19mm and i think -13mm and/or going to a 7'' when in front or fwd fenders. Offset calculator tells me I'll be .63'' closer to the hub with -13mm (theoretically 1.63'' closer if the wheel is actually 8'' wide?)

anybody care to share some wisdom?

10. VolksYota

VolksYota Member

Truck:
    89 pickup
    Also my truck is an 89! anybody know how I can get my thread migrated to the right category?? I accidentally created it in the pre 75 category...

11. redman

redman Enthusiast

Rim width is measured from where the bead seats. So the TOTAL rim width is generally one inch wider than the advertised width, about a 1/2" on each side.

12. VolksYota

VolksYota Member

Truck:
    89 pickup
    Slight progress: Got a new battery and got the truck to run after about a year of sitting, sold the wheels that were a bit too wide and built this jenky structure to allow my truck to roll in and out from under the bed. Going to be ordering new wheels with a bit less negative offset but in the near future and installing proper drop leafs as well as hopefully sorting out my gas tank and filler neck issues.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. VolksYota

VolksYota Member

Truck:
    89 pickup
    Finally got my wheels sorted after some offset miscalculations and returns to summit. Not sure about my front ride height, while I am all about it being low I'm worried about wrecking my fairly virgin fenders

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

stacy and 90DailyDriven like this.
  14. nottoshabi

nottoshabi Enthusiast

I had the same issue on mine once I dropped it. I rolled out the fenders edges and now it's better only rubs if I turn the wheel all the way. But at that point I'm making a you turn and I end up driving really slow. And it only rubs the inside of the fender.

VolksYota likes this.
  15. Orlando Muniz

Orlando Muniz Veteran

Truck:
    89 Toyota Pickup
    Great looking truck man! it nice to see someone else keep the 2wd fenders and grille. Loving the blue!

VolksYota likes this.
  16. VolksYota

VolksYota Member

Truck:
    89 pickup
    Thanks! TBH I would have scooped some 4x4 fenders before paint if I knew then what I know now about them and their stance benefits. And the color is Voodoo Blue, same as used on the last gen of FJs. We went for a matte clear on it and if I were to do it again I'd go with the traditional gloss but I'm still pretty happy with it

17. VolksYota

VolksYota Member

Truck:
    89 pickup
    [​IMG]
    What a difference 30 years makes. 1989 Toyota Pickup with 2019 Toyota Tacoma. Proud to call them both mine.

[​IMG]
    Long time since an update but I finally have my rear suspension sorted out. Street edge/belltech drop leafs installed. they came with the bushings reversed and that freaked me out but thankfully it was a breeze to swap them. Going to visit toyota parts department today to figure out exactly what gas tank I need and get one ordered. The Gas tanks is the last thing really keeping it from being roadworthy. May also have to bring the front end up a touch so I dont destroy my fenders.

Cheers

18. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Just switch over to a fuel cell bro

19. VolksYota

VolksYota Member

Truck:
    89 pickup
    I've considered that but it seems most fuel cells are for EFI? I didn't have much luck finding anything that works with the mechanical fuel pump/carb setup. I'm all ears if anybody has recommendations

20. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    A fuel cell is a fuel cell. EFI or carb, shouldnt matter