hole in the gas tank

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by kingjay, Nov 19, 2008.

1. kingjay

kingjay Newbie

Truck:
    1975 hilux, with a 1978 20r
    got a small hole in my gas tank, and was curious as to how to repair it without replacing or welding it. any suggestions?

2. StupidSheet

StupidSheet Addict

Truck:
    91 V6 SR5 Xtracab, 87 22RE 4x4, 73 HiLux 18R SR5
    If it is small enough JBweld might do the trick. That won't last forever though but if done right, it should last a long time. I'm just not sure how it is affected by gas. I used it to block a small oil leak in the back of a timing chain cover once and it lasted over a year and that was without getting the area real clean. Good luck.

3. OGtoy

OGtoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    93 std cab 22re
    dont go dragging your truck! haha

4. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1987 Toyota 2wd JT4RN50 Airbagged custom
    Hey man, it seriously depends on the size of the hole and if its going to be temporary or your permanent fix till you can afford to replace the tank or empty and weld it. To do a temp fix Ive used threading bolts and screws with the combination of an o-ring and or Seal All { actual product name - its resistant to gas/oil/contaminates ( youll most likely have to drain the tank thou - the times I used it, the tank was already empty - damn theives}, mind you these methods worked, worked well and I did end up replaced one of the tanks with a junkyard part and the other tank I emptied and welded it and then used gas tank epoxy in it.

5. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Member

Truck:
    87 2wd 95 fwd
    gas tank

local parts store should sell a tank repair kit. It comes with a two part putty(like playdough) . I used this on a truck tank and had great results. I just cleaned it rear good with pirce of sand paper(drain the tenk first). I used this putty and let it dry and then I mixed up a little jb weld and put it it on top od the putty. If's been 3 years and the tank don't leak SSB