heres my story

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by JOE_1985, Feb 27, 2009.

1. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    few months later and after getting a electric choke weber with some spacers and making it all work she runs, ill try to get a i phone vid over the weekend

oh and the floor shifter is in and working, now i need to mod it to fit a 8ball knob or a pistol grip handle

all thats left to do is fix a leaky fuel hose at the tank, button up the interior, order some brakets for the new front bumper and lower valence and she'll be road worthy for daily use

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  2. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
  3. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    pics

i also changed the front bumper and lower valance and replaced all the front amber lights with clear ones

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i still have some work to do, this motor hay have sticky rings, if i cant unstick them im going to re ring the pistons. and also the weber is running way to rich(came with bigger jets from what i was told), so i have another weber with stock jets i may bolt on this thursday

if it works ill swap jets or order some (the other weber i have is a manual choke, i have a 3rd i got off a jeep i may swap the electric choke onto the mechanical choke weber or just sell em)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  4. alfredo88

alfredo88 Member

Did you delete the air pump and keep a/c?

5. Dgerfan55

Dgerfan55 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 pickup
    Looking good man. Hope you figure it all out.

6. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    Today I looked at the plugs they are dry of oil. So my b12 soak trick worked. Basically I got the engine hot parked pulled the plugs and filled each cylinder with b12 and let it soak for 3 days, drained the oil and filled with 20w50 and barhals stop smoke.

I ended up using a lower milage 85 celica engine which didn't have a air pump, I also converted it from fuel injection to carb so the doner motor was fuel injected and the truck was carbed when I got it so I kept it that way. There is also no emissions parts at all and yes my a/c still works

7. alfredo88

alfredo88 Member

thanks for the reply, do you have any pictures of how the belts are run? I'm thinking of ditching the air pump but as you probably know its used as the tensioner for the ac. I've seen people gut the pump but I'm wondering if there is a more elegant solution. love the thread, your truck has inspired my ride!

8. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    thanks, ive got more done in the last few months than recent past years

its ran the same an 85 celica with a/c i used all the celica brackets, celica p/s pump, alt, harmonic balancer and a/c tensioner pully, but i used the truck a/c compressor

my last 87 truck only had 1 belt cause only thing it had to turn was the alt, it didnt have a air pump niether:thinking:

9. alfredo88

alfredo88 Member

I still have no idea how you're tensioning that belt! On my truck the air pump has the tensioning bolt on it. No ac tensioner. Oh well, maybe someone can chime in. Keep up the good work. Your weber / camshaft combo is similar to the setup I've been thinking of. Maybe I might throw in a offenhauser dual plane intake manifold. Love the lope sound on your 22r. How is the power band? I am between that 270 and the torker cam engbldr has

10. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    ill try and get pics today of the belt routing if my phone will let me

the cam and carb seem good im still trying to get my fuel issues sorted out, i deff have more power than stock and it pulls better toward redline.

i need to rejet my current weber or get a fuel pressure regulator, right now i have it rigged so that the fuel hose to the carb has a smaller peice of hose inside so that the engine isnt running too rich

the vid i was running open exaust so it exited around the cab. i reattched the exaust the truck came with, a 2.5 inch exaust with a flowmaster muffler that has a turn down pipe under the bed. i like it for now, when i get it redone im getting a magnaflow put in place and some new piping and maybe later a header

if i really went nuts id oneday like to shave down one of my spare heads, use O/S vavles and holley makes a economy type 4bbl which still moves around 400cfm. id have that bolted to a offy 4bbl manifold and some doug thorley headers and some sort of hot spark ignition set up. Also use the spare shortblock i have and bore it out to as much as i can without sacrificing cooling.

and i want a 3.73 or 3.90 rear gear, this truck with an auto is a dog but i like it around this town cause lots of traffic here

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  11. alfredo88

alfredo88 Member

Sweet. Thanks at attempting to get a photo. The gear ratios throw me off a bit since I'm coming from fwd cars. This is my first truck and first rwd vehicle and first Toyota so I'm pretty happy and hyped. Mine is a 4 speed so I have no idea what I'm doing there.

12. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    Well u have a good rear end for turbo, I think u have the 8 inch 3.08 rear gear which is I beleave an LSD rear end. I'll try the pics later, ran outta light and I want to put my 240sx in the garage so I can start tearing it down.

13. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    more eye candy but not the best pics

no more bent bumper and horrid orange things
    [​IMG]

fuzzy pic but you get the idea

[​IMG]

14. Dgerfan55

Dgerfan55 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 pickup
    Man that looks clean.

15. alfredo88

alfredo88 Member

Looks good Joe. I've been looking at the thread and haven't seen your suspension/drop setup posted. What ya got?

16. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    Was like that when I got it. It's basically cranked torsons and 3 inch drop blocks. I may leave it. I want to add sway bars and bigger torsons and use steel blocks. I also want new shocks

17. CrazyCody93

CrazyCody93 Enthusiast

Truck:
    84 Sr5 Xtra cab
    I sure do like the chrome 1 piece bumper, hope you dont plan on changing that, those bumpers arent easy to come by nice especially) and Toyota wants a fortune for one!

18. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    Twanese bumper, from eBay I think it was 115 shipped, I found out there's a warehouse downtown that I can go get them from cheaper. The lower air damn/valance was 30 for a black painted one. My old bumper was 1pc but it was slightly bent and needs to be rechomed, so I just bought a new one.

Thanks for the complements, I'll try to finish up the interior this week and get some shots. I'm Lovin my full carpeted sr5 door panels.

19. tyme_fo_play

tyme_fo_play Addict

Truck:
    MY PRIDE MY JOY MY TOY!
    always loved this frontend setup for the 84-88 2wd...nice one!

20. CrazyCody93

CrazyCody93 Enthusiast

Truck:
    84 Sr5 Xtra cab
    that is incredible! Toyota wants 800 bones for one!