heres my story

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by JOE_1985, Feb 27, 2009.

1. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    well been trying to fix up my truck and get it running good, today it decides to get a mid rpm rod knock, which sucks cause i havent had this truck 3 weeks.

whats worse is i have a 180k good 22re laying around but its for this [​IMG] so what im probally going to end up doing is taking the 311,000 mile engine from the celica and putting a timing chain assembly in it along with rebuilding the bottom end, and throw it in my truck

also im going to get dual chrome mirrors, replace the carpet, add other lil creature comforts such as a clock, sr5 cluster, hvac panel, a decent system setup, sound deadining and 85 celica gts seats or 4 runner seats.

as for other things i plan to do is get a decent cam and either a weber 34/34 or a 38/38, im leaning more towards the 38 due to the extra 90 cfm and this truck wont be my daily this what this [​IMG] is for.

and the other thing on my list is to get the rear 2 rims fixed, the rear wheels seem to have a small crack which lets the tires go flat every 3 days. good thing i have the stock steelies laying around.

this is gonna be interesting.

2. bustedknuckles

bustedknuckles Enthusiast

Truck:
    1985 Toyota, 2000 S10 Xtreme
    good luck. sounds like you got a lot going on.

3. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    sounds like u got a plan. now lets see that truck running!

4. OJ's DNA

OJ's DNA Member

I like the way the black truck looks - nice and clean and simple, very nice bro.

5. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    thanks, yeah i like to keep things simple to work on

called the machine shop today, they quoted me 325 to get the short block rebuilt if i bring my own kit, i may go this route.

ive priced a good rebuild kit from enginebuilder at 220 dollars.

ill get the head checked out and decked , im weary of the head cause it had some narly vavle noise.

ill update as i go along

6. smctoy

smctoy Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 xcab...
    sounds like a good plan to me!!

7. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    i know this car
    [​IMG]

welcome to the dark side:D

cant believe thats the same truck i think it is :eek:

8. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab

who will rebuild your engine for 325 ? everywhere I have been want 1200 min...

9. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    he told me 325 if i bring my own kit and thats for the short block

im debating buying new or used head due to the one on the truck is seeping oil

hey shonuff im the same guy on the gts boards:cool:, in fact u told me about this site awhile ago

10. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    a broken cell phone, 2 fishing rods 1 reel and 45 dollars later

[​IMG]

new head with some work done to it, wrist pin noise

this lil gem will be sent to the machine shop.

11. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    took a trip to see buddy in mobile al to get my trans for my celica. while i was there i too a junkyard trip and got a clock, cig lighter assembly, driver vent, and some other interior goodies, best of all i scored 2 sr5 clusters

im in the process of waiting for a seller to put up clear corners for 40 shipped on ebay,and a already have a pair of chrome mirrors.

i adjusted the vavles and the truck ran like a scaled ape, as he was beating metal with a hammer. so yes it does knock but now know where the lack of power was comming from.

i know fix then engine get rolling again but im also gathering parts while they are cheap or when i can find them.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  12. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    july 17 update

well heres an update

ive aquired a 150k engine thats still good, if the timing chain hasnt been done, ill take the time and do it, but if it has ill just change the seals and gaskets on it and put it in the truck.

so i should be mobile by the middle of next month if all goes as planned

oh ill have a nice lil stereo set up as well

13. nvrenufedge

nvrenufedge Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bagged '93 std cab
    Sweet! What ya gonna do for the stereo?

14. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    its a budget build but should sound good when finished, im still trying to find a really good but cheap hu on craigslist (i got an alpine for 40 dollars for my other ride)

the doors will have , for now some xplode 3 or 4 way 6x9s on the doors, i havent looked at them in 2 months, some infinity kappa 4s with a built in bass adjustment (i can have bass running to them or just highs or adjust the bass) a 8 inch non amped bazooka tube between the bucket seats which i may fab a console around. and i have 2 4 challen amps laying around. 1 is a 50x4 rms alpine the other is a 300 rms kenwood amp.

i may just use 1 though, im trying to make a good compact system without building speaker kick panels or sacrificing leg room for a sub box due to my long legs.

15. nvrenufedge

nvrenufedge Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bagged '93 std cab
    Can I make a couple suggestions?

First, I would just use a nice set of 6 1/2" components in the doors. I think they sound WAY better than 6x9's. This is what I have: Alpine's Type-S 6 1/2" component set with a 3/4" mdf spacer (to clear the window) wrapped in grey suede. They are running off the head unit (for now) and sound great. I paid like $100 for 'em.
    [​IMG]

Second, watch out using the Infinity Kappa's. They used to be a 2 ohm speaker. You cannot run a 2 ohm speaker off of a head unit, they are designed to run 4 ohm speakers only. You can run them off an amp no problem.

16. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    i may take your advice on them

one thing to remember is i have all this stuff laying around already

heres how my last 87 looked withe the 6x9s on the doors, didnt even cut the doors

[​IMG]

other thing to consider is im freshening up my donor motor so ill have to hold off on non drivetrain related purchases for now

17. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    donor engine is on the stand, awaiting timing chain job. I plan to do it the right way so im going to get the head cleaned and checked along with new vavle stem seals. I might order a cam for the truck next week or 2 as well.

I have a timing chain set with a new oil pump and cover i won 3 weeks ago for 50 shipped, guess ill use it. Also i just ordered a topline brand headgasket set with bolts on sale for 52 dollars shipped.

today i plan to clean the engine, and dissassemble the head. Ill also paint the valve cover as well.

18. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    damn im slowly making headway, tore down doner motor, should be back togather within 2-3 weeks

NICE LIL UPDATE ON PARTS:

so i bought this for 400 dollars: [​IMG]

rest can be seen here http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/Joe_1985/86%20turbo%20sr5%20rust%20runner/

22rte is going in my celica no ifs ands or buts about it, the interior on the other hand, is going in my truck, plus i like the old schoolness of this truck and rather use the 32/36 i have sitting in a box, a trd stage 1 cam, and the celica's header.

the digi dash does work but i dunno if ill swap it or just sell it, prob sell it cause i like analog guages. The seats dunno, i need a whole mechanical assembly for the passenger side, the adjuster for the rails are missing and cables are broke. The carpet, i may cleanup and sell, i already installed new carpet in my truck. The inclometer, its spoken for. The power doors, i plan to put on the truck one day but will need new motors, current ones work but are slow as hell. carpeted kickpanels im using, im going to try to use the floor shifter assembly. pretty much im gutting the interior of the 4 runner using what i can and selling the rest, dont worry ill make a forsale thread.

i also may use the exaust if its not rotted, i saw it was replaced at one point in time. My current exaust is aftermarket but sounds like ass and is poorly welded.

also ill pull the whole body front end, if i dont use the parts ill post em up for sale as well.

19. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    didnt give up, ive just been trying to finish my 22rte for my 85 celica and small stuff on my beater keeps breaking/wearing out.

but heres what i have collected

long round magnaflow truck muffler
    today im supposed to get a set of sr5 carpeted window crank style panels (going to hold off from the p/w conversion for now.)
    2 sets of header
    factory rain visors for the doors
    complete w/accessories 135k 85 celica 22re for 200 bucks, going to use this engine
    alpine 250 watt amp
    99-04 mustang 16s w/o the ford logo wrapped in 205/50/15s (18s are bent and cracked)
    and
    a factory floor shifter assembly from a base 84 2wd, never seen that before

also i have a sr5 cluster somewhere, i just have to find it

next on the list of stuff is:

new front bumper and valance
    red/white tails
    kickdown cable
    rear bumper
    clear turns

20. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck: