Greetings! 1979 Chinook "Lady Burd"

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by RyanL, Feb 18, 2024.

1. RyanL

RyanL Newbie

Truck:
    1979 Chinook
    Hi everyone. I'm a new member to the site but have visited over the last few years for information.

I have a '79 Chinook (Truck is '78). My wife and I bought it in 2020 as a covid project. The truck was running pretty well upon purchasing and already had a weber. carb. Turns out we never had any free time but we have managed to do since then:

Truck:
    • Replaced coil springs, shocks, sway bar bushings. (Springs were unnecessary and a PITA)
    • Got the truck heater running (it was bypassed when we bought it) - had the core rebuilt and we installed a control valve, which required some creative mounting/cabling to the slider controls.
    • Replaced plugs, wires, points.
    Camper:
    • Gutted
    • Reinforced the steel frame where it was unsupported by the rotted floor corners.
    • Replaced the wood shims supporting the camper with poly body blocks.
    • Installed flooring.
    • Replaced the pop-up canvas with "sunflower yellow" Sunbrella fabric
    Even though there's no build-out yet, we've taken it on a handful of night/weekend trips around Colorado each year. The goal is to build something basic and functional in the back - bed, counter space, storage. We have plumbing for propane but have removed electrical to camper entirely and are planning to use battery powered LED lights.

We recently moved from Colorado to Nashville, Tennessee. On the drive out, she sprung a good oil leak from the drivers side of the engine that is blowing back under the truck. Its hard to tell but could be blowing out the dipstick. Performance has generally decreased the last couple of years as well.

Since we have moved, I also don't have my garage anymore and can't wrench at our rental property. I was thinking of finding a local shop to sort out the engine and then focus on the camper this spring. So if anyone knows a good mechanic for a 20R in middle TN, let me know. We might be selling later this year if we end up with a 70s scout (long story), but that's up in the air. Either way, need to get it out and now sitting in the driveway, so looking forward to spending some time on this forum along the way.

Here are some photos. Cheers!

Picture1.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    Picture4.jpg

Erwin Merida likes this.
  2. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    The 20R engines were known for blowing the crankshaft oil seal. When this happens you will initially see oil leaking from the front of the engine directly below the crank pulley. Soon after (very soon) the seal will let go, dumping all your oil in a matter of seconds.

The seal is inexpensive, but will require removal of the radiator to gain access to the crank pulley bolt. A chain wrench and puller will also be needed. The pulley itself has two threaded holes (M8 x 1.25). After you get the pulley nut off use something like a steering wheel puller with the correct bolts to remove the pulley from the crank. Do not use a jaw type puller. You will only distort the pulley itself.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
  3. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    I second that on the jaw puller.. it can be done but only on fresh builds or if mocked up only.. plus your going to need big jaw pullers to even get around the rib of the crank pulley.. just use the bolts in the middle, it's safer and comes out evenly.

Btw, this truck still needs emissions testing to register?

4. RyanL

RyanL Newbie

Truck:
    1979 Chinook
    Thanks Fred and Erwin! There was a small leak in the crankshaft seal when I got it. It's hard to tell if the new leak is an extension of that because it has sprayed everywhere. But if that's a common blowout, then seems like a good place to start. Good to know that a jaw-type puller is trouble.

Emissions is not required in Tennessee, where I'm at now, and in some counties in Colorado, where I used to live. It would need emissions tests in other places. Mine does not currently have the cat or air pump.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  5. Packmule

Packmule Member

Truck:
    91 Toyota 1 ton Dually
    Welcome to the group! Love those Chinooks! DO NOT use a jaw puller! In my younger, and inexperienced days, I once pulled a harmonic balancer apart with one. You can buy or rent and return the proper puller. Happy wrenchin!

By the way, I also moved from CO to TN once. Both beautiful places to explore.

6. 83pickup

83pickup Enthusiast

Truck:
    1983 22R Long Bed 5-Speed
    Wow, that's a very cherry looking camper! I've never seen a pop-top one, like those van campers, very neato! I'm in love with her already :jawdrop: But I've got my own minitruck to still sort out :lol: