Grandpas 4Runner.

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Shadetree Mechanic, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic Addict

Truck:
    '79 4x4,'89 short-bed 2wd, '85 4Runner
    So, my Grandma just gave me the coolest present ever. Check this out:
    [​IMG]
    :love:A 1985 4Runner. :D Yep. And it's got the straightest frame I have ever seen on a solid axle yota. The ones I have seen were all a little mashed in the front. This one is pristine. The body is a little rough, and the running boards are just hideous and scream grandpas ride, but I am super excited about this vehicle!
    [​IMG]
    This is her good side right here^. :D
    This sides a little rough...
    [​IMG]
    But this is really a great starting point for this truck. I am glad it looks super stock. This way it will be even more impressive what I am going to do with it. They were actually describing it like just some beater... Saying how they wanted to give it to me before it was worthless... To me, this is the most desirable 4x4 Toyotas to build, the 85 solid axle 4Runner.:waytogo:

Stay tuned for updates. I have already changed it up quite a bit since these pictures were taken earlier today.:D

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  2. Predracer

Predracer Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Long bed 80 2rz turbo machine
    Sweet truck man! Congrats!

3. 79*2wd

79*2wd Enthusiast

Truck:
    79 Regular Cab pickup
    nice score bro keep us updated :waytogo:

4. FOKAI

FOKAI Veteran

Truck:
    84 truck, 05 4Runner
    WOW. Doesn't even look bad at all! You definitely lucked out.

5. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    holy crap its solid axl:eek:

if you bob it i swear ill hunt you down and kick you in the nutz.:runaway:

what motor, how many miles?

awesome im stoked:clapping:

6. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    it looks bad? what do you mean it looks bad!?

It looks good

7. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Should have kept... '88 4x4 22RE
    Sweet, gotta love those solid axle Runners!:bow:

8. Shadetree Mechanic

Truck:
    Uh oh!:eek: My plans for the truck do include bobbing the bed. I am going to shorten it abut a foot. Basically so the taillight housing meets the part of the body where the fender flare meets the flat side of the truck. I just picked up fiberglass resin, cloth, and mat. If anyone has any advice on the fiberglass work I'd appreciate it! I have no experience with fiberglass. I'd appreciate your not kicking me in the nuts, but I just gotta shorten it up a bit. Nothing too extreme. I still want to be able to sleep in it, but we have some tight trails around here. This thing would be like trying to navigate a station wagon otherwise.

It's a 22re. It's got 287,000 miles on the odometer. I don't know about the motor though. It seems like it might have been overhauled at some point. It seems to me like it has under a hundred thousand on the motor.:shrug: I dunno. Could just be cuz it's a Toyota.:waytogo:

I went to the Pick 'n Pull in Windsor CA yesterday and got a new driver side fender and corner light.:D I just have to get the decals off the fender. They are the stock graphics. How the hell do I get these off? There has got to be a good way, but I have no idea. I triede a razor blade and it would take a century. I have to get the decals off and paint the fender "Whimbleton White" which was the closest off the shelf color I could find.

9. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    heat gun and hard plastic scraper, comes right off.

but be warned, alot of times it rust's right under the pinstripe for some reason, or it does under the pinstriping on every 78-81celica ive ever seen.

the wheel base on that thing is the same as a long bed, so is the "bed overhang" i wheeled for years just fine with a long bed and never once got stuck because of it or the oem type bumper i ran. i slept in the back of my truck alot, and i only had a few inches to spare at 5'11".

id lay the seats down and "test fit" it before id bob it.

10. Dcups

Dcups Addict

Truck:
    93 Std Cab chassis/4Runner 2door body
    Dont cut it up..... Its such a classic and it being an 85 is the most desired one... Leift it 3-4 inches and some 33 or 35's. Lock it and youre golden

11. yota4life

yota4life Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1991 xcab 2wd 4cyl
    I wud definitely say no on the bob but it's your truck man. My brother has an 87 lifted 4 inches on 33s it's pretty sik.

12. 22r

22r Veteran

Truck:
    3 inch lift (NO BODY LIFTS)
    15x10 rims 31 in tires
    fix that smash in the front and you'll be set for another 20 years!

13. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1987 Toyota 2wd JT4RN50 Airbagged custom
    Verrry kewl. Me myself would say " I would never cut it up" Mind you I cut my 87 into a bagged mini! Soo, that in mind I say " Enjoy it for everything its worth to you . . .

14. Shadetree Mechanic

Truck:
    Yeah, all the feedback did at least convince me to hold off for now on the bed bob.:rolleyes: I was all geared up to do it too. Had the fiberglass and everything. I'm gonna run it stock length for now and see how I like it. I can always cut it later. I am already getting used to the length of it. The bobbing of the bed isn't so much about not getting stock, but the ease with which you can squeeze between inconveniently placed obstacles. Sometimes it makes for a lot less back and forth action on tight corners on the trail. Plus in crowded parking lots it's nice.:D

I got the decals off and the fender painted. I put it on but it was too dark to take pictures by the time I was finished. I need to find a headlight surround for the drivers side. Other than that the grill is intact. I also need to build a bumper since the one it came with was mangled. As soon as I can afford some steel I'm gonna get going on that.