Frostop Dialy

Discussion in '1984-1988 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Frostop, Jun 16, 2023.

1. Frostop

Frostop Member

Truck:
    87 2wd auto Xtra cab long bed
    Absolutely. Stock wheels are fine for me. I was just referencing a name brand as a possible option. They do make custom one off wheels for a reasonable price comparative to buying full sets of this specific wheel.

2. Frostop

Frostop Member

Truck:
    Update. My third member locked up 2 months ago. The deal I had with the 88 motorhome fell through. The truck went on the back burner for a bit while I tended to several family cars. It's been a long few months. Today I picked up an 88 dolphin 19ft for 800. Only thing missing is the engine and just about every piece of wooden structure in the camper. Lol. Full 1 ton suspension including sway bars (front and rear), thicker torsions, six leaf rear springs, spare auto trans, and full float dually axle. It even has a factory Toyota auto floor shifter so I can delete the column shifter and use my header I've been staring at for a year.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  3. Frostop

Frostop Member

Truck:
  4. Frostop

Frostop Member

Truck:
  5. Frostop

Frostop Member

Truck:
    Now it's out, I'm bringing it to my shop for teardown and inspection. I have sourced all brake parts, seals, bearings, and wheel studs local at various big box stores. All accounted for except axle flange seals. I may have to go to Toyota.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  6. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Man, for that price you got a deal considering all the parts you can salvage from it. I'd take a media blaster too it and semi gloss POR15! Slow progress is better than no progress! Keep it up.

7. Frostop

Frostop Member

Truck:
  8. Frostop

Frostop Member

Truck:
    You nailed it. That's exactly what's happening.

9. Frostop

Frostop Member

Truck:
  10. Frostop

Frostop Member

Truck:
    Blasted and zinc epoxy primer.

11. Frostop

Frostop Member

Truck:
  12. Frostop

Frostop Member

Truck:
    I also have this built, big cam 20r that is in my 77 Celica. Runs like a sewing machine. I can't decide if I want to swap it. It would only be a place holder until I rebuild the 22r correctly. I feel like the guy that rebuilt my 22r cut corners. I get an overheating issue only at highway speeds. I've been through the timing and carb settings until I'm blue in the face. Still no change. Plus it never seemed to break in. I'm still losing a quart of oil every 1000 miles.

13. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Loosing and burning are different..lol add a oil catch can to see if you're getting excessive blow by.. you'd be surprised how many ppl install rings incorrectly and leave the gaps really close if not on the same side of the piston head.. for the cooling issue, a blocked coolant passage could bring your temps up at higher loads (highway). This happens a lot with inexperienced wrenches that don't tank the blocks when disassembling. Try the block drain plug with a flush.. hopefully that eases coolant flow. Good looking axle btw.

14. Frostop

Frostop Member

Truck:
    That's exactly why I want to pull it and go through it myself. My Celica is down until I finish building the rotisserie and do some rust repair. The 20r in it is all good to go but wasn't exactly built to daily. Its 180hp and solid but the dual webers require more attention and fuel mileage isn't great. Even if I lean it out the mileage still suffers due to no vacuum advance so I don't bother. It's quick in the Celica. I guess I'm just gonna bite the bullet and swap for now. I do miss the sound of the velocity stacks.

Erwin Merida likes this.
  15. SteveWippins

SteveWippins Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 base model
    Let us know how it runs after the swap! 180 horses in that truck is probably going to feel like a lot! more power is something i've always wanted but never actually went after.

16. Frostop

Frostop Member

Truck:
  17. Frostop

Frostop Member

Truck:
    Gloss white for the win.

18. Packmule

Packmule Member

Truck:
    91 Toyota 1 ton Dually
    That is a helluva find on that dolphin. Are you going to put everything on to your truck or put your cab on the dolphin frame?
    Axle looks really good! What kind of blaster did you use? I need to do the same to mine. Those wheels are sweet!

19. Frostop

Frostop Member

Truck:
    I'm going to put everything on my truck. The RV frame is a little shorter than mine. It's basically a single cab long bed frame with a really bad weld job extension to the rear. The extension is already broken and I'm surprised I made it across state lines even with it on a trailer. I don't see anything beefed up on the frame anywhere either. I'm assuming the one ton frame is the same as the half ton with only suspension and brake upgrades. It did happen to have an automatic floor shifter, cruise control, tilt steering and a flawless dash.

20. Frostop

Frostop Member

Truck:
    As for the blasting, a friend of a friend works in the blasting yard at a plant. Not sure the machine but it's definitely industrial. He said it took him 30 minutes of his lunch to do the rims, springs and axle and most of that time was hanging them up. He also sprayed them with the primer they use in the plants. He said it can't rust in my lifetime.

SteveWippins likes this.