Front ARB for 1982 pickup - newer model fit as well?

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by IdahoDoug, Jan 2, 2024.

1. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug Newbie

I"m restoring a 1982 Sunrader and have found ARB no longer sells the front bumper for these older models. I have read conflicting information on whether the ARB for the next generation newer than mine will fit with some modifications. Can anyone shed light on it, or perhaps you know someone who did it I might reach? Thanks. We live in an area known for roads full of deer, elk, moose, etc and I'd like to protect this old girl as best I can once it's back on the road this coming summer.

Regards,
    IdahoDoug

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    What is ARB?

3. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    My first thought, too. I'm guessing it's an aftermarket company that makes custom bumpers... ?

4. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug Newbie

Heh! Since you're both from California and enjoy sun drenched driving on dry roads free of aforementioned large animals, I'll assume you're pulling my leg on my first post to the forum. Deserved. Should it matter, I'm a Toyota nut and have over 9000 posts on the Cruiser forum and just sold a GenIII Supra I restored down to the last nuts and bolts.

So, I'm looking for an ARB front bumper as these are well engineered to take a hit from animals. Both my Cruisers wear one and have saved the vehicles from a few deer hits over the years with zero damage. Its worth noting that I'm also happy to hear of anyone else making a stout front bumper for the 2nd gen Toyota pickup. This vehicle is a virtual time capsule with its low miles and having been in a relatively low humidity area, so I'd like to do my best to protect it as we're building it to spend a lot of time in the forest and country roads where the wildlife lives. Thanks in advance.

5. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    we aren't as much of leg pullers here as on other forums. I too have no idea what ARB...

6. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug Newbie

Yeah, ARB are known for their commitment to Toyota (originally) pickups, LandCruisers and SUVs offroad protection products for over 40 years. They're based in Australia and now are the world's largest provider of a variety of things along these lines, and added support for other makes over the years.

The front bumpers they make in particular are works of art in that they use thick plate metal formed on huge machines that go with the lines of the vehicle. By comparison, a lot of home made bumpers are twice as heavy, not as strong and can look like a "Mad Max" mess of tubes and awkward angles.

On the other hand, there are some regional makers in the US that make nice products these days as well. I'm looking to put something on my pristine low mile Toyota pickup front end to protect it. Make sense?

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Reported this user. Seems like some AI spam bullshit post.

8. 83pickup

83pickup Enthusiast

Truck:
    1983 22R Long Bed 5-Speed
    I think he means ARBUsa (https://arbusa.com/) from a quick search, offroad accessories so I'm guessing a bumper. Not positive on where to find vintage and/or reproduction offroad equipment though, or many accessories in general...

Erwin Merida likes this.
  9. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug Newbie

Jetas,

Not spammer. You asked, I replied. Kinda surprised you've never heard of ARB, so filled you in. I'd appreciate it if you'd "unreport" me as that was a pretty big stretch. I'm here looking for advice on bumpers, for heaven's sake.

10. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug Newbie

So Jetas - any thoughts on "unreporting" me? I'm new and sure don't need that...

11. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug Newbie

Wow, a guy with 6,600 posts on this forum can't bring himself to correct an error? And nobody else is chiming in to support what's an obvious course of action to rectify a new forum member's being reported? Nothing personal but this is clearly not my kinda place. Best to you all, including Jetas - I'm out of here as quickly as I arrived.

12. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    ARB has been a pretty well-known company for Toyota upgrade parts for decades, but most of it's for the 4wd crowd so might not be as familiar to the 2wd Toyota Mini group.

13. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    1982 will be a 3rd gen 2wd pickup in the US, or 1st gen 4wd body style. I haven't seen an ARB for this model in years, but pretty sure there are companies who still make offroad bumpers for this generation. If you have fabrication skills or go to a fabricator, you could easily adapt different bumpers, custom fit a weld together kit for different generation, or just go custom like many people have done.

Addicted Offroad is one of the few who still make and list a direct fit bumper for your truck. NW Trail Innovations makes a weld-together kit, as do other companies. The frames and bodies of all the compact Toyotas are similar enough I don't see why you can't adapt something or customize something to fit. I'd just assume due to age of the truck, the fabrication companies don't sell enough 1st gen 4wd bumpers anymore to keep them listed amongst all the Tacoma bolt-ons

Good luck

14. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Hahaha.. wow. Idk wtf happened here but this is stupid to read. This forsure makes since why now one else is contributing to the site.

:applause:

15. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Your posts are all over the place. With the amount of spam that comes thru this board, I will report anything that looks like a BS account. Sorry not sorry about hurting your feelings.