Easiest engine swap

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Cade01, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux

If was on CL, and I probably paid more than I should have possibly more than it is worth to anyone outside of California. I needed a vehicle? wanted a Hilux, and there were none anywhere near me. But as soon as I bought it there were a bunch of them for sale. I'm not much of a mechanic so I need something relatively easy, I don't see myself building a hybrid.

2. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    You could always recruit a local member to help build the motor up then drop it right in. Engnbldr is not far north of you either, and they do great work. Like a low buck LCE. I have their whole bottom end kit and its been doing 6500 rpm for years.

If you were closer id give you a hand with it. Or if you wanna donate it to me to be done up proper, ill allow it :D

3. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    For what I paid for it there will be no donating :p Once it has a bit more power and another gear or two and 3-4 less inches of height it should be good.

4. Squigy

Squigy Member

Truck:
    1973 Toy Hilux
    Im going Toyota 3TC, i used to spank those 20r/22re ") at the dirt track.
    And depending on the build, it can rev up to 9000 rpm safely.
    Also has a hemi head so it looks good too besides the power you can get out of them.
    And to top it off its a push rod motor easy for an engine rebuild.
    Here is a pic of one, if you havent seen one yet.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  5. Squigy

Squigy Member

Truck:
    1973 Toy Hilux
    Here is another pic with a 32/36 down draft Weber, funky air intake tho..

Attached Files:

6. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    What transmission bolt up to it? I have a W50. I was wanting to do a Mercedes OM617 but it looks like it is going to be ridiculously expensive.

7. Squigy

Squigy Member

Truck:
    1973 Toy Hilux
    Here is another pic with a 32/36 down draft Weber, funky air intake tho..

Attached Files:

8. Squigy

Squigy Member

Truck:
    1973 Toy Hilux
    Or if you have deeper pockets....

Attached Files:

9. Squigy

Squigy Member

Truck:
    1973 Toy Hilux
    i used factory trans if you are not turboing.
    You will be very surprised how well they will hold up, and i used a Datsun pick up rear with 411 gears,
    with Mikuni sidedrafts, 485 cam,13.1 compression,4puk disc wth clutch master pressure plate.
    I cant wait yo do my truck...
    This was before digi cams so i will have to take pics of paper pics.

10. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    My truck already has an 8 inch with 4.11s in it. How hard of a swap is it?

11. disturbio

disturbio Enthusiast

Truck:
    1972 Yota HiLux
    Dude if it's your every day driver.... What's wrong with getting 20r. My 72 and 1/2 has a 77 20r and stick tranny and does have a little more power than the 18....

But I don't know that it was worth the hassle. I just did it cause a guy had the 20r already pulled out and I thought it would be way easier to find parts for.

It's a definite difference but not night and day.

You have to reroute and plumb a lot of **** for minimal gains. I know the 22 is bullet proof, but they aren't monsters either. To me it sounds like you should buy a 20 r pickup and sell yours, but just switch the grills.... 72.5 and 73 have better looking noses imo

12. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    People want a small fortune for the 20r and 22r anymore. I want more power and easier to find parts, I would just keep the 18r if you could easily find stuff for it, headers, side draft manifolds, things like that.

13. Squigy

Squigy Member

Truck:
    1973 Toy Hilux
    Same here Cade01
    I know the Celica forum has some cool stuff for 18r, but i have been looking for an exhaust manifold, you would think with all these engine swaps we could find it..
    I am looking for the same 2 things u are..
    I agree with the prices on the 20-22r they have gone wayyy up.
    I just want to take out my 18r complete and know its running great to put aside for another project.i found a running driving 1981 wagon 3tc,5speed, limited slip diff.$600 plus selling all the wagon body parts so i should acctually make money on the purchase.
    if u want the 20-22r go for it, i am simply giving my opinion of what i know and have tried i am no spring chicken either..lol
    And i am a penny pincher too..So if you do the swap sell me your exhaust manifold.. :)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  14. 3spd

3spd Newbie

Truck:
    76 SR5
    Dude - I don't do this a lot but man you need a reality check.

Nothing in the hobby is free - either you get it cheap and put a ton of work into it or you pay more have someone else do the work. What I am getting from you is you are looking for something for nothing - doesn't work that way. Sorry.

As far as swaps 20/22r IS your best bet (if you really don't want an 18) as people have said. I know in Oregon a complete 20/22r is going to run you anywhere between $50-500. I just looked there are five 20r s on C-list in that range -yes there is one for $50. I didn't even look at 22r s. If you want a complete motor for less than $50 you need to re-think your hobby. I think $250 is about what I would pay.

Also, your question about making linkage work. You want to swap a motor into a car that was never intended to have that engine in it - you are going to need to do some problem solving - if you are worried about linkage maybe you should start with an easier project.

I don't want to be harsh or mean but man you got to know what you are getting into. This is not an easy hobby, that is what makes it fun.

Good luck and if you ever need advice or help feel free to hit me up.

Ryland

15. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    Wow, what a way to drop into a post. I never said it wasn't going to be difficult and never expected it to be free or cheap, I'm just looking for something with better parts availability and something that people don't think is gold. If you want to post something try to be a little more constructive, I didn't pick out one of your 11 posts and drop trou. I asked what people think is the easiest swap besides the 20/22R, if I wanted one I would have kept the 20R I had when I parted out my '80. I know there will be stuff to figure out but that's why I'm trying to pick the brains of those that have already been there. I've had nothing but positive or helpful input until now, I've already found a few options I'm looking at. I think maybe you should read more and type less until you figure out how am enthusiast community works. Thanks for your "input"....

16. 3spd

3spd Newbie

Truck:
    76 SR5
    Just trying to help man.

I didn't realize having someone in Oregon offer their assistance was negative and unwanted "input".

If you want to take this this way - I should type less? I'm the one with 11 posts vs your 210 and I know I have a lot more experience with these trucks than you.

17. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    There's about to be a completely rebuilt 22r on Craigslist whenever I get the chance to assemble it..:waytogo:

18. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    How much though? Completely stock rebuild? If I knew someone that could install it I would go with a 2RZ or an OM617. If someone local could do it for a fair price I would pay them.

19. Billybeau

Billybeau Newbie

Truck:
    73 HiLux (18rc auto tranny)
    Heck, ill assemble it if you wanna sell me all the pieces, if your even open to that option let me know how much you'd want.

20. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Yes it's a stock rebuild, and I'm planning on asking $1200 since that's what I've sold 3 others for.

Billybeau, I'm open to offers for as it sits. Bottom end is assembled, the only thing I don't have is a cam.