DJM 3”-4” drop vs actual drop height

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by JL_808, Oct 21, 2023.

1. JL_808

JL_808 Newbie

I just installed DJM LCA and their 4” blocks, with front and rear shocks. It’s was advertised as 3” of drop in front and 4” of drop in the rears.
    After install, my front went from 27” to 25”. And the rear went from 28” to 25”. Is this normal for it to have only dropped 2”-3”?
    I’ve only driven it a few miles since the install so I’m not sure if it will settle more.
    It looks great btw. I would still like to get 1/2” to 3/4” of drop in the front to close a little more fender gap. Would you recommend tweaking the torsion bar?

thank you in advance!!

2. Ponyryd

Ponyryd Enthusiast

Neither will settle if you just did arms and blocks, settling only happens if springs are changed. Torsion bars can be tweaked, yes, but for the rear there’s not much you can do other than remove the middle leaf.

3. JL_808

JL_808 Newbie

Thank you, so is it normal for me to have only gotten 2”-3” of drop? It’s is advertised as 3”-4”.

4. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    Try to compare your current ride height to stock specs. You are comparing your ride height to what you had before, but your new height may be a true 3/4 drop from what the truck rode at when it rolled out of the factory.

Cranking torsions is a good way to dial in the front ride height. 4" blocks are pretty thick, I went with drop leafs And then blocks from there to get what height I was aiming for.

5. Ponyryd

Ponyryd Enthusiast

No, it should be pretty close to advertised drop. Measure your rear blocks, they should be 4” thick as that would result in a 4” drop. Also make sure your blocks are properly swathed, I had to drill mine out to fit over the leaf bolt. This should be pretty easy to notice, and would only be maybe 1/2” gap between the block and spring if it was the case

Attached Files:

6. JL_808

JL_808 Newbie

Measured the blocks which is 4”… but the final drop in the rear is only 3”! Crazy…

7. Ponyryd

Ponyryd Enthusiast

Unless you’re sitting in the bump stops, or the springs are bound up by the shackles, that makes no sense. A 4” block will give you very close to a 4” drop-always….it will be slightly affected by the front though.

8. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    There are a few possibilities for why the front end has less than a 3" drop, but as others have said, in the rear, lowering blocks are dirt simple and you should have a 4" drop.

One long shot I thought of is, are the left and right blocks pointed in the same direction? 4" blocks should be tapered and if one is tapered forward and the other is tapered rearward, it could bind up the springs. The only other thing I can think if binding up the rear suspension is the drive shaft might be jammed...

Other than that, I dunno.....

Ponyryd likes this.
  9. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    measure the block, make sure it's 4" not 3.