De-stroker Engine rebuild?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Litneon, Nov 28, 2010.

1. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    18RG? been there, done that! Great engine if you can get the parts. 18R, RB, RC, RG, RGE, RGU. In the '80's it was an affordable option. My last 18RG was in my '71 Celica. In '87 the build cost was over 6k, all HKS and TRD parts. 185hp and tqNaw, destroking a 22R is not woth it.

Now stroking the 22R is a really good way to go. Seems 94mm is the 'safe' stroke, but I've seen as much as 94.5mm cranks swung in the block. The restriction is the oil galley to the filter. If a builder would bypass that galley and go external from the pump to the fiter that galley could be ground all the way through. Probably get another 3-6mm of throw in there. 100mm stroke anyone? Issues may arise from such a great mod, like balance and the block's weaknesses. With the before mentioned sleeving of the block, 95mm bore, and a 100mm stroke it would tip the volume to just over 2.8 liters. Skip the sleeving and just go 94mm, just under 2.8 liters.

Nice to dream.

2. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    Mmmmmmmmm... 18RG; my favorite...
    LOL

When I saw/read the thread topic, my first thought was, "should 'just' get an 18RG instead". Especially after seeing estimated costs of $4,000 - $10,000 to build a 200hp destroked 20R. For that much $$, you can build a nice 200hp 18RG. I didn't reply at that time because, as others have noted, 18RGs are rare and not everyone loves them as much as I do...

I happen to have one sitting in my garage, waiting for a rebuild, which I bought in 1992 for the princely sum of $300. They were plentiful from the various used JDM engine importers back then. Should of bought a few but I didn't have the money or space.

@ Jetas: Parts are actually easier to find now than say 15years ago. I used to buy parts directly from TRD, when TRD was much, much, more open to the public, before Toyota decided to make TRD a dedicated parts supplier for professional Toyota racing teams, only. But now you can get all sorts of parts online from Australian vendors such as Sleeka Spares (no affiliation). The parts that are hard (and/or expensive) to get are HKS parts (cams, turbo kit, etc.) and Mikuni PHH carbs. Hell, I was even able to buy a header flange on ebay to fiddle around with to build my own header (forgot name of seller); something not even available in the past...

Oh, the ONE part impossible to get, then and now, is the 2-1 down pipe. Those idiots in Japan would just torch the down pipe to remove the engine. I wish those Phillipino companies that made TRD-style copycat headers for the 18RG had also made the downpipes...

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    For the amount of $ that this swap could potentially cost, i think a BEAMS swap would be a better choice. If EFI vs Carb isnt a problem

MrDinkleman likes this.