coilovers?

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by Dope_Yota, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Dope_Yota

Dope_Yota Newbie

hey guys idk if yall have seen my introduction thread but im new to the mini truck scene and i own a 1980 toyota truck.

its slammed on 15x10 -45 offset

i seen some thread where a person said something about rear coilovers? is it possible to get some for my truck??? i wanna go lower lol

it already has 4' drop blocks and flipped leaf spring , c notched frame

some type of "gas" shocks blah blah blah
    like i said i dont know much but im learning,..... im a drifter so bare with me please...any info will help thanks

Attached Files:

2. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    For coil overs you would need a link bar setup. A 2 link at minimum. Mounting the coil over is as easy as having a frame and axle mount. The stock shocks are on the front side of the axle. I would run them on the back side. Every time I think about coilovers and add up the cost, it makes me want adjustable suspension. For what a good set of coilovers and a 4 link costs and involves, might as well go hydros or bags. Got any pics of your rear suspension setup with the notch?

3. standardbyker88

Truck:
    I've been steering more and more towards hydros for my project. My 78 is about as low as static will allow. With hydros there's no noisy compressors and giant tanks. Hide a few batteries as a pump/dump setup. Also fits the tight frame confines better in a lot of ways.

Anyways, a good set of coil overs would handle killer. These trucks seem to suffer from body roll the most. Soft stock springs and little to no sway bars stock. Alot of it comes from the inside leaf letting the body rise. Limiting straps might make that problem solved.

4. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    It would be sick if you could coil over the back of your truck! I'd rather see someone coil over it than bag it.. Has anyone done coil overs?

5. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Lots of people have. These days it's hard to justify the cost not bagging it. And most peeps are on the cheap lol

6. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Cheap is the key word to my truck:D

It would be nice seeing more people using coil overs though.. To me, bags are boring anymore.. There cool and make low easy but lots of people have them

7. standardbyker88

Truck:
    They aren't much more expensive than coil overs once the full setup is added up. A good coilover is about 150-250 per corner. A bag kit can be put together for about 800 and up. So people like the benefit of the adjustability. I personally want hydros. I have a notch and 4 link to stick in first. It'll be on coil coils and normal shocks. Stuff I have spares of lol.

8. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    I like coil overs for the performance handleing aspect.. My friends 510 wagon with coil overs and 4 linked takes corners like a beast! Country roads are crazy fun:D

9. standardbyker88

Truck:
    I just noticed the rear wheel well on his truck. Is it cut away or just black where it was rolled? Those rims can't really go higher up. Not without more cutting. Time for some flares bro lol

10. Dope_Yota

Dope_Yota Newbie

Can you post a pic of yours?.. I highly doubt it's lower than mine. My torsion bars are one the ground so it can't leave my driveway lol

11. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Yeah here's a pic. My front arms have about an inch to the street. I put a fresh set on a few months ago and they are dragging away. The axle is almost against the frame. I need welder access to install my notch and 4 link. You may be lower out back. What's your roof height at?

Attached Files:

12. standardbyker88

Truck:
    I have enough ride height to take it down most crappy dirt/gravel roads and into parking lots. Rarely does it actually scrape. But I've learned how to drive low as second nature.

13. Dope_Yota

Dope_Yota Newbie

From ground to roof is 4ft 2inches

14. AIRICK

AIRICK Enthusiast

Truck:
    83 Standard Pickup
    Coilovers would be awesome! I'd love to see a setup that handles AND rides decent. I guess you'd have to make sure you had plenty of travel for your springs to achieve that. Good luck to ya!

15. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Your roof is about 2" lower than mine. Probably cuz you have a notch out back. I don't lol

16. Kaleb.s03

Kaleb.s03 Newbie

What is the whole process on lowering one, I want mine to be about as low as yours. I have a 78' long bed, its completely stock. I just want to lower it on stock steelies for now and figure out some wheels and tires later on.