CodyX36's 1972 Hilux, soon to be 2RZ swapped, Build Thread

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by CodyX36, Mar 17, 2013.

1. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    My uncle tells me that all the time. I just keep polish away at it though. :D

We gotta get the trucks together for a cruise again sometime. Hit the beaches and bars. Pick up some summer dressed hoochies. :lol:

2. Uranium235

Uranium235 Member

Truck:
    76 longbed 4 speed
    I really like that body style. Wish I had one . =/

3. CodyX36

CodyX36 Enthusiast

Truck:
    '72 RN14
    Not much of an update. Getting closer to start the swap. Learning more and more each day about the 2RZ. A bit tough though, the 18r mounts are different from the 20r/22r ones which is what most people are swapping out of their trucks to get these motors in. There is a few companies who makes swap mounts, but are all saying for 20r and up, so I'm not sure if I should go with those and modify, or shave off stock mounts and move them, because I've also heard these sit a few inches back from the 20/22r. Marlin Crawler has a few great builds on his forums, but all 4wd trucks with straight axles mainly, which doesn't help much with how mine will sit and with which pan to use, some saying one of the T100 pans will work but I don't think so with my 2wd ifs. New cross member will be in the works also, fully custom oil pan, possibly modifying the tunnel, depending on how deep it sits. Just got to keep researching but will give an update as soon as this project moves further.

4. TheLoLux

TheLoLux Toyotaholic

Truck:
    70 LoLux 92 CYN YOTA 84ish 4runner
    I don't know if you know but LCE sell the pan swap kit. For the 2rz and 3rz.
    I'm swap a 2rz in my 92

5. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Any pan that will fit a 75-78 truck from LCE should work for your frame Cody. Same type of crossmember. It's thick enough you could cut into it and replate it. I think a front sump or mid sump pan would work best on these frames with center/mid dump exhaust. To miss the steering box that's right in the way. I've looked at alot of these same issues for stuffing a 318 V8 into my 78. Possibly with a pair of hair dryers to add a few smile points lol. It'll be cool when you get it done. We will have to race :D

6. CodyX36

CodyX36 Enthusiast

Truck:
    '72 RN14
    I think the pan that LCE sells is mainly for guys doing straight axle swaps in their Tacoma if I read correctly. With the 2wd ifs set up I don't think it will work. Probably end up chopping the top of the pan off then custom making one around whatever I will have to clear.

I also heard about the crossmember from the 20r (from a 2nd gen Hilux) working because the slump is a greater size and will help fit after the motor is in. I also want the motor to sit low enough that I can someday put a turbo on without cutting the hood, while avoiding the pan to sit too low that I'm breaking it on speedbumps. So custom crossmember and pan, and maybe even mounts will be done. We will see when we get there. And yes, we will definitely need to race haha.

7. CodyX36

CodyX36 Enthusiast

Truck:
    '72 RN14
    Oh, and this is the email I got from Alex at Chilkat designs, the guys who make the 2/3rz swap mounts going from a 20/22r motor. I might just get the mounts for the hell of it, since he is nice enough not to charge me if I need to send back. What you guys think? He also explained, and as seen in that Celica build, about getting a crossmember from a 20r, which hopefully would fit if I found a 2nd gen Hilux with that motor.

8. CodyX36

CodyX36 Enthusiast

Truck:
    '72 RN14
    So, some awesome news. There is a plasti-dipping company up here in the PNW called Fine Line Dips, if you don't know what plasti-dip is, just google it. Anyway, they do full car paint jobs and selected to do mine for free. They were looking for a vehicle that had bad paint so they can do a nice before and after, I sent my picture in and they chose me. Going to go with red and a white roof. I wanted a greenish mint color, but they've never done one before. White, black, or gunmetal, was other options, but with the interior having bare red metal exposed, and the inside of the bed still red obviously, I didn't want a funky look. I dusted off my photoshop skills a little and tried to make a mock photo, don't judge on the spots or some funky lines, but this is the darkness of the new red coat once it's on. Should go in a couple weeks to get it done. Pictures to come.

[​IMG]

9. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Should look killer done up. Lynnwood pull a part has a 76 right now. Engine is half apart, should be able to yank the rest outta the way and get the whole crossmember. Have spare disc conversion parts too.

10. CodyX36

CodyX36 Enthusiast

Truck:
    '72 RN14
    That'd be great to snag. I am still not 100% sure if I will need to make a custom crossmember or if that one will work and bolt directly into my truck. Plus a disc conversion is something I definitely want to do before the swap is complete. Unfortunately I signed up to work the next couple Saturdays, busy the 10th of August. The next few Sundays are also booked with plans. I'll give them a call in a few weeks and see how much they'd sell those things for.

11. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    1994 Standard cab 22re 5 spd
  12. Sharwk

Sharwk Member

Truck:
    1975 HiLux
    Cody - do you have a part number for the Tokico front shocks amd from the pics I'm assuming you used Bilsteins HD for the rears? Nice build.. Can't wait to see the truck after its dipped...

13. CodyX36

CodyX36 Enthusiast

Truck:
    '72 RN14
    Got the truck dipped today! Not much time right now to post all of the pictures I want but here is one, more to come!

[​IMG]

14. bendiesel

bendiesel Member

Truck:
    83 locked and geared and 88 runner mild daily driver
    dude! that looks great. hurry and get the rest of the pics up!

15. jerico

jerico Enthusiast

Truck:
    79 lolux
    Looks sick! Did you dip it your self?

16. Sharwk

Sharwk Member

Truck:
    1975 HiLux
    Looks great!

17. CodyX36

CodyX36 Enthusiast

Truck:
    '72 RN14
    Some shots from around where my buddy lives that he took for me, they turned out great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. macawilial

macawilial Veteran

Truck:
    89 4x4 sold. 90 4runner 4x4 sold. 92 bagged sold. 81 longbed sold. 72 RN14...keeping
    beautiful... just beautiful!!!

Lovin that stance man! Keep it up. Not to jack threads but you have an identical twin in the works. I'll be following this thread.:D

19. Turbo Blow Through

Turbo Blow Through Addict

Truck:
    87 hilux
  20. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Looks great buddy. You bringin it to sittin pretti in two weeks?