Cheap option for more droop with torsion lift?

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by cogentdoge, Dec 23, 2023.

1. cogentdoge

cogentdoge Newbie

Truck:
    1991 DLX Ext. Cab
    Suspension Recommendations Wanted:

1991 RWD DLX Ext. Cab 22RE

The previous owner added a thick leaf in the rear, but kept the front at stock height (I think they were towing a trailer). I have since raised the front by cranking the torsion bars. I have zero droop in the rear due to the stiffness of the added leaf (already checked shock lengths), and my front upper bump stop is limiting my droop in the front.

I like the way it handles and don't mind the stiff ride too much (It's very nice when loaded), but I would like to gain some droop front and rear to make it feel really good. I also like having the higher ride height for daily driving and also like having the greater load capacity with the added leaf.

I know there are expensive 3rd party lift spindles out there, but if there's a cheap way to gain droop at this ride height I'm all ears. Primarily I am interested to know if swapping the front upper bump stop for a lower profile one would cause any issues. Also, I'd like to know if a ball joint spacer would get me back some droop, and if so, would that put more or less stress on my ball joints in this situation?

If I can't find a decent solution, then I'm considering removing the added leaf, but I'm also hesitant to do that because I'm not 100% sure about the condition of the stock springs without it.

[​IMG]

Thanks Everyone.

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Remove the droop bump stop.

3. cogentdoge

cogentdoge Newbie

Truck:
    1991 DLX Ext. Cab
    And then just check for clearance? Anything to worry about?

4. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    Use a small block in the back and flip the ball joints.. your not going to mess anything up unless you damage something while R&R it.

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    It's only got so much travel. All removing the bump stop will do is give you clearance IF you're already sitting on it. Not sure how much more you're trying to go up but you will hit a limit on travel