Cb radios, anybody rocking one?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by standardbyker88, Dec 18, 2013.

1. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    I've been hunting for a vintage cb for a while and got one today from a guy. It's a 70s Lafayette HB525. Has plenty of features and was top rated back in the day. It should look good on top of my stereo on the console. Gonna try to use my dash speaker as the external speaker. And I finally get to hook up a PA.

Who else has a cb in their truck? Post pics how you mounted it. Antenna pics are good too, I haven't figured out what I'm gonna run yet. Thinking maybe twin sticks in my roof rack bars. Not the best function but should keep it looking clean.

Here's a pic of the radio. It's just a bit narrower than DIN so it'll work great above my radio. Which is in the console and ill get pics of tomorrow.

Attached Files:

2. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    I drive truck for a living and i seldom even turn it on. So no, I don't have one in my pickups. :lol:

3. 1982rn34

1982rn34 Addict

Truck:
    1982 SR5 RN34
    That's cool you are planning on installing this CB in your truck. Actually, Toyota used to offer a CB radio as an accessory item. It appeared in the 1979 Accessory Catalog, but disappeared soon afterwards. Some of the 4X4's that I've seen mounted them below the dash underneath the glove box.
    Antennas were the magnet style. I've seen then either on the roof or mounted to the side of the bed near the tail lights.

Post pictures when complete.

4. raylcc

raylcc Addict

Truck:
    89 Regular Cab. The weirdo with the stock suspension.
    I have one planned. it'll be either in the dash or under the dash on the drivers side if there's room. I also plan to experiment with the PA system, by wiring it to the high-level inputs of a cheap stereo amplifier to see if I can run a higher power horn for it. It may work, it may not. But it'll be fun to try.
    Just a suggestion on the double whips: If I remember way back, I believe they had to be a certain length apart in order to make them work properly. I want to say a minimum of 4 feet, but not sure.
    One suggestion I would make, is since it seems that youre going old school with the equipment. Why not go old school (sort of) with the antenna and do one of the fender mount, ball-base antenna with the really long whip like were on 4x4's in the 70's and 80's? It would look pretty cool with the retro CB.

5. raylcc

raylcc Addict

Truck:
    89 Regular Cab. The weirdo with the stock suspension.
  6. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    The guy gave me a bunch of whips like those too. Some are a clamp on mount, would work pretty well on the bed corner.

And I searched for ages for a Fuji or other stock brand cb. Have an old 70s am/fm push button radio tho. Works great