Carbon Fiber Hood?

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by project87, Oct 12, 2010.

1. jctoy29

jctoy29 Addict

Truck:
    1993 toyota standard cab short bed
    you can paint carbon fiber, but looks stupid painted, point is you dont paint it u cant show it off. I had been running carbon fiber on most of my previous hondas and never had a problem with them fading or cracking, I ran seibon or vis the last 10 years.

2. Dgerfan55

Dgerfan55 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 pickup
    True but some people dont like the carbon fiber look but like the light wieght it gives

3. jctoy29

jctoy29 Addict

Truck:
    1993 toyota standard cab short bed
    Yeh fa sho

4. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    yeah, doable lol.

you don't have to show everything off ;)

5. TheLoLux

TheLoLux Toyotaholic

Truck:
    70 LoLux 92 CYN YOTA 84ish 4runner
    so i did this Mustang roll cage for the owner of the http://anvilauto.com/. and he said that he would make hoods but there a lot of money. he said that there would be about $700 and he would need 10 people with deposit. and the deposit $300. cus he would have to make a mold for them

im down need 9 more and this is for the 89 to 94

6. slacker

slacker Addict

Truck:
    84-7m-GTE custom
    as a composite manufacture , seriously .. I dont see the point ?
    CF is NOT user freindly .. If anything ever happens to it is is wasted , and NOT repairable .

light weight .. yeah .. but with a 22r /RE engine you HP gain is minimal and really not even negotiable .

fiberglass is , in my opinion , is a much better option .. always repairable , and modable ..

7. andrep6810

andrep6810 Member

Truck:
    94ext 2jz
    :jawdrop:700? man 2-300 sure, but 700 :jawdrop:

8. D-RULER

D-RULER Member

Cowl hood

If you guys are still looking for a composit hood SHOWDOWNCUSTOMS.COM has a nice high quality fiberglass cowl hood for your trucks.

9. eurofreak2002

eurofreak2002 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    80 STD SR5 LB, bagged! The new whip!
    OK $700 for a one off hood is a very legit price. Back in the day before carbon was a huge honda thing a group of us from roadsterdrift paid $1300 for full carbon hoods for our miatas. The entire hood was only 11.4 pounds including hinges and latch. However like slacker said carbon is not user friendly. My car was slighly bumped in a parking lot one day and chiped a corner in the hood. FRom then on its was just stress crack after stress crack and chip after chip from using as a race car so I really didnt feel the money was well spent. After numerous years the stock miata hood is now full aluminum and weighs 14 pounds STOCK. Fiberglass or aluminum would be a more plausable material to make hoods for our trucks frpm and would def be cheaper maybe like a few hundred bucks with a group buy or something.

10. ShortyzKustomz

ShortyzKustomz Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Single Cab
    I had a cf hood on my swapped Civic back in the day, cool for what it was, It was on the car when I got it pre swap. They are cool on some import cars imo, Look Stupid on a truck and the weight savings will be minimal on a Toyota truck, Thats just me though

11. jackash002

jackash002 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1982 2wd p/u, 1983 toyota trailblazer, 1982 toyota truggy (next, just a cab/frame now)
    my 82 hood is pretty light compared to most hoods, my s13 hood is an effin anchor.. but toyotafiberglass.com has hoods, beds, fenders, cowls, doors, etc. in fiberglass.. which is what most of those CF hoods are under that one layer..

12. Evolmotorsports

Evolmotorsports Veteran

Truck:
    1987 RN50 Hilux
    As far as my carbon hood I beleive it to be the only one ever made. for anyone that thinks they can do it properly consider this. If you dont have a mold you dont have a hood. Call a fiberglass company and ask them how much it would be to have a custom mold made. Then ask them to make you a carbon hood with that mold. Thats why its so expensive. The company that I got my hood from I had already sold 20k of their products so they liked me already. He scrapped two hoods in the process of making mine so he said he would never make one again. If you guys want one that bad I'll take offers.:waytogo:

13. joeynational

joeynational Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 2WD
    pics!!!!!!

14. Evolmotorsports

Evolmotorsports Veteran

Truck:
    1987 RN50 Hilux
    [​IMG]
    It is solid carbon and has 4 pins.