Blower motor

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by first80toyota, Jun 14, 2013.

1. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Nope. It dripped barely any.

Now I just gotta figure out why the fan won't spin with the switch, and makes the chg light go bright when I try.. It spins fine by hand and with a battery charger hooked up to it.. Stupid charge light issues!

2. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    Remove that charge light bulb :lol: Your heater fan switch might be bad. I have a few spares. I think its a 3 pin style. Power feeds in 1 post, comes out either of the other 2. I will do some tests tomorrow and find out if it has an internal resister for slow speed or if its full volt on both circuits. If ya need a spare switch let me know. I have all the dash switches in quadruplicate lol

3. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    I probably will pull it out:lol: should run a volt meter though, so atleast i can see what its doing.

Could it be my fan switch causing my chg light? maybe shorting internally enough to bring on the light but, and when i turn the fan on it lets more power short, causing the light to get brighter?

4. standardbyker88

Truck:
    I remember my charge light would come on at about 11 volts. Check your battery an frame grounds. Too much resistance there will cause a high draw like the fan to trick the light into thinking the system is low. Run a volt meter off the cog lighter to see what things do at different fan speeds. A 2-1/16" gauge fits the square next to the radio with a tiny bit of hand filing. A hacksaw blade will fit in to cut the filler off its little tabs.

5. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Another thing I learned is on these trucks the blinker unit won't flash below 11 volts. It just lights up the one side. Not enough energy to trip it and make it blink. So if you're ever driving around and the blinkers do that, you're probably not charging. The alternators on these are pretty wimpy. But cheap.

6. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    What's a cog lighter??

I'm charging at like 13.4 volts or something close to that, definitely charging but don't know the exact voltage..

My fan doesn't even come on, just flips the light on.. It used to sometimes come on but not anymore..

I re-did my battery ground a while back, ran a cable from battery to body and battery to engine.

A friend of mine helped discover if you adjust how much the regulator lets the battery charge (held the tab thinng down) it shuts the light off.. Maybe I just need to adjust it until it keeps the light off..

In my last truck I discovered the slow blinker thing. Sitting at a light it started slowing down then wouldn't click off.. Discovered I didn't hook up my alternator after changing it, thankfully I was a block from my house:D

7. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Meant the cigerette lighter. Easy place to test voltage.

8. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Oooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Haha:D

Could my fan switch be giving too much resistance causing the light and not letting my fan spin?