1. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    some of that ol roadhouse corn shine, good for lemonade and octane boosting haha!

2. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I just went ahead with 8 and 12 hot, but now i am getting way more ticking from the rear (i think it is cylinder 4). I rewarmed up the engine re-checked the lash, and all is within spec, but still more noise.

Tomorrow new spark plugs come in, so I will put some work in then

3. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Well, the noise seems to diminish a bit with warmup, so I think I will just call it the ol 22rattle.

I was reading around and found this over on ls1tech.com: "...i like to think of turbo lag as foreplay!!!!!!!!!!!"
    -jsteele90

4. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

Cali coast is probably cool, but once you go West (even though you are moving East) you won't look back.

Ever lived in a state with barely a million people...total?

Edit - don't cheat yourself out of Idaho on the way. Avoid I-84. You can PM me for pointers on some of the best mountain road driving and camping you'll ever see.

5. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Well, took my trip up through northern Cali and Oregon, and Betsy went lame the day before my return home. If you are curious as to why, check out my thread on "problem at speed".

For my trip, I removed the passenger's seat for storage. I joked that this was Betsy going monogamous.
    SuppliesSm.jpg

I decided a little luck wouldn't hurt, so I hung a horseshoe from her bumper to collect all that luck.
    DrivewaySm.jpg

On my travels I got to see many beautiful parts of this western coast, and drive some wonderful roads.
    SomewhereSm.jpg

FSR181sm.jpg

OnionMtnSm.jpg

One of the most gorgeous places I have ever been was Modoc National Forest in the NE corner of Cali. It was over 30 miles of washboard dirt road to get to the campsite, but so worth it.

ResCsm.jpg

It was lightning and hail storms for a couple days, but golly were the mornings beautiful.
    ResC2sm.jpg

And finally, on my way home, this is the last stretch of highway I was on before all of the misfiring problems occurred.
    LongRoadsm.jpg

fred.d.k likes this.
  6. fred.d.k

fred.d.k Enthusiast

Great pics!!

7. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Cheers Fred! It was truly an adventure of man and machine! I am now prepping for my move to Montana, so it is time to lift Betsy a bit for clearance loaded down. Just a matter of removing the blocks and turning back up my torsion keys.

Funny enough, lifting the ol girl a bit is getting me excited for getting to MT and dropping her again.... low.... lower.... maybe lower than before! MUAHAHAHA.

8. Justin Danger

Truck:
    On my way to moving to montana with everything I own in the back, Betsy started misfiring again. This time it was baaaad, like really really bad. I tried to swap some things up (anticipating that this may happen, I packed for whatever I could think of to fix this issue), but alas nothing worked. I ended up walking a few miles in the hot northern california sun to a used car dealership.

I am now the owner of a 2012 Chevy Colorado. I got Betsy shipped back to a buddy's place where he can take it to a shop that I know and trust will find what needs to be done, no more and no less, like it should be. I packed up all my stuff in the new truck, and carried on through the next few states and finally got to my new home in Montana. The new Chevy feels twice as big as Betsy, but armed with my knowledge and skills learned on my past two yotas, I plan to do some cool stuff to this modern pickup.

After this whole deal people have asked me if and when I am just going to give up on that old toyota. My answer was simply: "When it is no longer legal to own and operate an internal combustion motor".

yotarip likes this.
  9. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Sucks about the yota, but just think, once its fix you can put some time into it and get things done to it that you couldn't before. Hope the repair isn't anything to bad.

10. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Yeah, it is at the point where I have no idea what is wrong. I just hope it isn't too bad considering I just had to shovel out the cash for a new truck.

I just see it as Betsy's transition from DD to project truck..... gosh I will miss those mpgs though...

jetas likes this.
  11. fred.d.k

fred.d.k Enthusiast

Hopefully more (in your words) "lemonade out of lemons" (although you must be fully stocked with lemonade by now)! Nice combo (other than the expense) - having a reliable DD and a project.

12. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

Sad. I know the feeling after throwing the timing chain on my trusty 89 this winter.

They will live again.

13. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I'm trying to shop around for a shop to take Betsy to. One of the head studs has stripped out of the block, and was wondering what a reasonable price for that repair would be. Truck is in California, and I am in Montana, so without looking the mechanic in the eye, they don't know how much I know, and I don't know if they're trying to scam me, but if I had an idea of how much the repair should be, that would get me in the right direction.

Also trying to pay off the new truck, so an idea of how much I might have to shovel out for the ol' girl will give me an idea of whether repairs are in the near future or after getting a bunch more paychecks.

14. Justin Danger

Truck:
    It looks like I will have to do some more saving up, but I think I will be going with a 22RE Performance rebuilt long block. I'll go for the dual row timing chain and ARP studs, hope it will last!

The snow and ice is building up here in Montana, so driving a 2000lb 2wd truck with no heat.... I'm fine with having to wait and save to bring her back to life.

Mikerocosms likes this.
  15. Justin Danger

Truck:
    22reperformance is like 6 months out for a rebuilt 22rte, so I am looking elsewhere, found a place with a short block for a reasonable price, about 2 weeks out.

I've been away from Betsy for the past 5 months just plotting and planning what I want and need to do to her, for the holidays I got to see her, and did some work under the hood. After replacing the TPS, and adjusting a few things I was able to get her going enough to drive to the movie theatre and back.

16. Justin Danger

Truck:
    I ended up installing some Time-serts into my block for the head studs. I also went through and cleaned the head and intake parts. She runs and sounds better than she has in a loooong time. The last things I am dealing with is a coolant leak at the exit from the turbo coolant flange, and a leaking o-ring where the heater pipe enters the bottom of the lower intake.

I also bought some pieces to solder into my bottom coolant pipe so that I can reinstall the hoses to the heater core.

Also going back to truck style mirrors, the little black ones sucked terribly. They were too small for good visibility, and they were so jenky that they moved every time I slammed the door.

17. mutantcolors

mutantcolors Enthusiast

So you got the original machine back up and breathing fire again?

18. Justin Danger

Truck:
    Shore did! Breathing fire, and drippin water (-:

I will try to get some pictures up in a bit

19. Justin Danger

Truck:
    So this is the process of installing the Time-serts:

First, bore the original hole over sized, and to the right depth
    20180221_132721sm.jpg

then, a little counter sink for the shoulder of the Time-sert
    20180221_132739sm.jpg

And tap the hole
    20180221_132850sm.jpg

Then, install the insert

20180221_133701sm.jpg

20180221_133640sm.jpg

and voila!
    20180221_133734sm.jpg

20. Justin Danger

Truck:
    My new coolant pipe, all soldered up, and installed.

20180306_142352sm.jpg
    20180306_142359sm.jpg

20180306_152112sm.jpg
    20180306_152121sm.jpg